I wasn't looking forward to our stay here for the duration of Clownfest 2012, but was cautiously optimistic when we checked in and found our room was "adequate". Sheets clean and changed everyday, no disgusting stains on mattresses as previously reported, etc. etc. Sure this "resort" has seen better days, but we didn't cringe at anything we found in room!!
Drawbacks? A useless phone in room - "Most people use their cellphones who stay here" (staff); sink is outside bathroom which is a bit of a pain and the faucets are backwards (Cold on left and Hot on right!); no hair dryer/iron in room, but one only has to ask front desk and they will gladly sign one out to you; elevators don't work early in the morning so if you need to checkout early, well, you've been warned!
It was very hot the whole time Clownfest 2012 was running and the air conditioning worked superbly well, thank God! The beds weren't the best, but, again, much less "back-breaking" than previous reviews suggested. There was sand in the bed, even though we didn't go directly down to the beach, but it was windy and housekeeping carts are left outside rooms, so that could explain it or sand coming in on bare feet or bottom of shoes...I just flapped my sheets every night before I went to bed and this worked fine. Sheets were definitely changed every single day, although in many finer hotels I've stayed in, when it is the same person using a room for several days, they often don't change them except every other day....bedspreads were very clean and even appeared new and crisp, so no complaints there.
Our room was overlooking the ocean and boardwalk which, as Clownfest particpants, was very handy..but they should do something about the fake rug squares that make up the flooring of the deck outside, as it is very easy to trip on!!! It is an accident waiting to happen....and that's about the worst thing I have to say about the place...
The staff was incredibly nice, especially the night Front Desk lady....Monique?? (sorry if I have the name wrong) and day Manager. Always helpful and able to answer any questions or needs we might have, politely and warmly. As for the much-maligned "Keith" of other TA reviews, he wasn't to be found.
Our price for six nights was unbelievably inexpensive and more than made up for any small problems we had....all in all, a satisfactory stay, albeit a bit on the "wornout" side. If you are looking for a Hilton, Sheraton, etc., you won't find it here, but it would cost you at least two to three times more a night if you DID find one!! Just consider how much time you spend in your room, outside of bed/sleeping and decide what you would prefer: adequate, average rooms in a slightly past-its-prime location, or an astoundingly overpriced room with sometimes-average mattresses, etc. I recently stayed at a well-known five star hotel in a major US city and the mattresses were terrible, clean towels NOT put in rooms each day and there were bed bugs!! Add to this the fact that I had some items stolen.
...I'm just sayin'....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Boardwalk at Sherman Avenue in Seaside Heights, the Aztec Ocean Resort is just steps from the Atlantic Ocean, Seaside’s Casino Pier Amusements, and Breakwater Beach. Amenities include heated pool, air-conditioning, grille (serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner), and coffee shop. Also on the premise is the Seaside Crab House Restaurant offering spectacular views of the ocean (serving lunch and dinner) and the Aztec Bar featuring entertainment in season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Aztec Ocean Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aztec Ocean Hotel Seaside Heights
- Aztec Ocean Seaside Heights
- Aztec Ocean Resort Seaside Heights
- Aztec Hotel Nj