“Not as bad or good as some say!” 3 of 5 stars

Aztec Ocean Resort
901 Boardwalk, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Not as bad or good as some say!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I wasn't looking forward to our stay here for the duration of Clownfest 2012, but was cautiously optimistic when we checked in and found our room was "adequate". Sheets clean and changed everyday, no disgusting stains on mattresses as previously reported, etc. etc. Sure this "resort" has seen better days, but we didn't cringe at anything we found in room!!

Drawbacks? A useless phone in room - "Most people use their cellphones who stay here" (staff); sink is outside bathroom which is a bit of a pain and the faucets are backwards (Cold on left and Hot on right!); no hair dryer/iron in room, but one only has to ask front desk and they will gladly sign one out to you; elevators don't work early in the morning so if you need to checkout early, well, you've been warned!

It was very hot the whole time Clownfest 2012 was running and the air conditioning worked superbly well, thank God! The beds weren't the best, but, again, much less "back-breaking" than previous reviews suggested. There was sand in the bed, even though we didn't go directly down to the beach, but it was windy and housekeeping carts are left outside rooms, so that could explain it or sand coming in on bare feet or bottom of shoes...I just flapped my sheets every night before I went to bed and this worked fine. Sheets were definitely changed every single day, although in many finer hotels I've stayed in, when it is the same person using a room for several days, they often don't change them except every other day....bedspreads were very clean and even appeared new and crisp, so no complaints there.

Our room was overlooking the ocean and boardwalk which, as Clownfest particpants, was very handy..but they should do something about the fake rug squares that make up the flooring of the deck outside, as it is very easy to trip on!!! It is an accident waiting to happen....and that's about the worst thing I have to say about the place...

The staff was incredibly nice, especially the night Front Desk lady....Monique?? (sorry if I have the name wrong) and day Manager. Always helpful and able to answer any questions or needs we might have, politely and warmly. As for the much-maligned "Keith" of other TA reviews, he wasn't to be found.

Our price for six nights was unbelievably inexpensive and more than made up for any small problems we had....all in all, a satisfactory stay, albeit a bit on the "wornout" side. If you are looking for a Hilton, Sheraton, etc., you won't find it here, but it would cost you at least two to three times more a night if you DID find one!! Just consider how much time you spend in your room, outside of bed/sleeping and decide what you would prefer: adequate, average rooms in a slightly past-its-prime location, or an astoundingly overpriced room with sometimes-average mattresses, etc. I recently stayed at a well-known five star hotel in a major US city and the mattresses were terrible, clean towels NOT put in rooms each day and there were bed bugs!! Add to this the fact that I had some items stolen.

...I'm just sayin'....

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the ocean/boardwalk in the 203, 303 or 403 set of rooms. Make sure you have a wor...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Middletown, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Having grown up visiting Seaside Heights every summer since the 1970's, I've seen it morph numerous times. My most recent trip this past July 2012, I must say the boardwalk has once again emerged as a powerful summer vacation destination. Two things I noticed in particular was the cleanliness of the boardwalk and the presence of police/security. On the topic of cleanliness, there was not one piece of trash, not one cup, paper plate, napkin, nothing on the boardwalk or the beach. To compliment the boardwalk even more, not one garbage receptacle was full or overflowing. On the topic of safety, the presence of police and security was felt everywhere but not intrusive. Due to this, there was no routyness or roughness going on anywhere. This, by no means, amounted to lack of excitement or fun. There were all ages walking about, from teenagers hanging out with friends, to 20 and 30 something year old couples and friends, all the way up to seniors walking hand and hand.

The familiar sound of the games, the rides, the music, all remain. The endless array of seafood shacks, souvenir shops and arcades still abides. Of course finding a cold beer or cocktail, amazing..and I mean AMAZING pizza, sausage and pepper or steak sandwiches, the best french fries I've had in years and of course salt water taffy are as easy as walking from block to block.

That being said, I'll move on to our stay at The Aztec. I remember this motel from my childhood (I am 47yo), and I must say this was the cat's meow back in the day. Today however, well, it is a convenient place to rest one's head. Located right on the boardwalk, the motel does feature a pool, bar and a restaurant. The motel is old, outdated, in desperate need of a major overhaul, however for the most part, it was clean. I use the phrase "most part" very liberally. Our room was free of bugs, mold or any other smelly, crawly nouns, however when walking on our tile floor barefoot, we noticed the bottoms of our feet were black. I don't mean dusty or brown, I mean black. The floor obviously hadn't been mopped in a very long time. This motel is definitely geared toward young adults in their late teens and early 20's. I can understand not wanting to put any money into the place because this is the clientele they strive for and make their living on. This clientele, with all due respect, seemed more interested in drinking and partying, than taking care of their surroundings. If I were an owner however, I would do a major revamp of this somewhat historical place, and market the establishment toward a more mature 20-60 yo demographic. Just what I would do. While staying at The Aztec, we laid by the pool, had fun with the young crowd, did a few shots with them, and basically just relaxed. The noise level was well controlled and had no issues past 10/11pm. Everyone, overall, seemed very respectful of the other guests around them.

We stayed in a balcony room (a must in my opinion), overlooking the pool and with a great view of the beach and ocean. Had an issue with the TV which took more than a day to resolve, and the bathroom was small and dingy to say the least. It was clean, but the sink was outside the bathroom so just a tub and toilet and barely enough room to stand is what the bathroom was comprised of. Water pressure however, very good. That is a major deal breaker for me. Give me a shower where the water is trickling out and I'm insisting on another room or walking.

That being said, would I stay at The Aztec again? Maybe..maybe not. It just depends if I were in the mood to be adventurous and try something new and different off the boardwalk or settle for the convenience of location, location, location. Just an FYI, there are beautiful new condos built just one block off the boardwalk (2, 3 and 4 bedrooms I believe) which rent for about 200-400 per night. If you are going with a group of friends or family, going this route could be very economical. Well that wraps up my review of my trip to Seaside Heights! Hope you found this informative. Billy D.

Room Tip: Ocean/pool view balcony rooms have a beautiful view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

After reading all of the reviews here, we were skeptical about our upcoming trip to Aztec...but we were pleasantly surprised to see that some people exagerate ...the rooms were very clean, a little sand still on tile floor BUT it is a BEACH FRONT HOTEL.....The pool was crystal clear and both mornings I saw them vacumming it out. The bathroom was clean and functioning perfectly. Our only problem ( and we had a good laugh about it) was the fridge must have been set too high and our tomato ( for mozz and tomatoes) froze and was so hard it would have killed someone. the ladies at the desk were very friendly and let us check in early and helped me with a problem I had locating a lost friend. SO thankfully we did not cancel based on some of the reviews below...HAD A BLAST...Clown festival was a bit bizaar..clowns are a strange group...LOL

Room Tip: We had poolside and it was a good room ...good view...second floor was great and had good view of oc...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

I would never stay at this place again even if they pay me. They did not have clean rooms and the place is disgusting. The beds are the worst, you will need to see a chiropractor afterwards. The bathroom are definitely disgusting and are not clean at all. The showers have chaulk allover the place like they just did a quick patch work. There is definitely molds all over the place like every other reviewers said. Please read carefully before booking.

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Aztec is always a great weekend stay. From its great location right on the boardwalk, the amazing view of the beach from the VIP room to the parties right in the bar/club and especially the fact that it's very known for not only people 21 but a family resort also. Even with all these events the staff alwayssss conducts themselves as professionals and is helpful & kind to any customer.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I spent three days three nights in the aztec ocean motel. The services was great and the hotel was amazing nice clean pool, and perfect location right on the beach. With the best restaurant and bar in Aztec.

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We booked this motel last minute and only knew the name of it by passing it on the board walk. Let me tell you what a dump this place is. The pictures they have on the internet of this place must be from when it opened in 1972. Lets start off by saying the rates were outrageous at $150 per night with a 2 night minimum stay. The carpet in the room was stained black , the bed was dirty and all worn out in the shape of a U. My wife and I kept rollling into One another during the night. The pull out couch was just as bad and smelled like farts. We also had broken glass all over our balcony. The bathroom was just as filthy with a moldy shower and broken sink. Whoever is the maid service for this dump should be fired and the motel itself should be condemned. The location is all this motel has going for it. You would be better off sleeping on a lounge chair on the beach then staying here.

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Aztec Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!