“Awesome Week!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
thunder bay
“Awesome Week!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

A completely honest review. Just went to Jersey Shore for the first time with my two best friends because we think the show is hilarious.

Walk into aztec, lobby staff was friendly and had everything ready for us. We knew coming here that it wouldn't be a hilton, but we got an awesome price. The room was a little outdated, beds weren't the greatest, and there were a few ants in the washroom, but we laughed it off and knew we could still have a great trip. Honestly unless your high maintenance or a huge prude, this hotel will be fine, room service came every day, we always had clean towels, and service was great.

The aztec bar was a favourite spot of ours for day drinking, say hi to Terrance for us, that bouncer put up with all of our shenanigans. I had hurt my hand one day there trying to do a leap frog over a bar stool and the staff were kind enough to wrap it up for me.The restaurant was delicious, we enjoyed lobster there one night, and theres a deck right beside it perfect for people watching.

The location is ideal, right on the boardwalk and close to a bunch of fun pubs. Though the beds were a little "broken in", you end up drinking so much you pass out fine every night.

We're all in our early 20's and this was the perfect party spot for us. If you're not looking for a thread count or valet, and just want to have an awesome time at an affordable price, I highly reccommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wappingers Falls, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

During all of these incidents, the manager KEITH not once said I am sorry for your inconvenience! I am not expecting the hotel to be perfect and I do expect issues to arise, just not this many! This place was disgusting all around. Upon entering the motel traveling with an infant the elevator was out of service and non operational causing us to have to carry the stroller and baby up a stairwell! No one offered to help with luggage or even apologized. They just watched. when we received the key for the room the door was stuck to enter our room and we couldn't get in without charging at the door. When we got in the room, the room smelled moldy and one of the beds was obviously broken shaped in a U. Why wouldn't they fix that before renting the room? We called the front desk and told them and Keith came to our room and brought a hammer and did whatever he did to the door and it still wasn't working. He also did something to the bed and said it is better and should for now be fine and that they will replace it tomorrow because their storage is across town. Needless to say we had to call them to change the bed because they never called us and the bed was brought up from storage just downstairs, not across town.Instead of Keith apologizing he said if we don't like the hotel we can leave and stay somewhere else. We had children with us and 2 couples and nowhere else could accommodate us last minute especially since we just drove 4 hours as well as unpacked all of our belongings this wasn't the easiest thing to do. We asked him to switch our room and he said he didn't have anything he can switch us into. We asked him if he can do anything for the inconvenience and he said I will check with my "owner" and see if I can take off $30 from your room. Well, he is the owner....supposedly and he didn't have to check with anyone and you will see what I mean a little later in my review. We decided to deal with this issue for now. So we go out to the boardwalk and return to the motel around midnight and getting ready for bed. We open up our sheets and we are greeted with sand on the sheets and hair from the previous guest in the sheets. We didn't even go to the beach yet! So now we had to call the desk at midnight to come change our sheets and they take 20 minutes to get to our room and the night guy gladly changed our sheets while placing our pillows on the ground during the process(disgusting) so we had to ask him to replace our pillows as well. This is all just the first night. Now the next morning we go to take a shower and we bathed the baby first and the bathtub is now clogged and water will not go down. We call maintenance and they come to the room to snake the tub and they vacuum out the water and say we are all set. Great! the next person takes a shower and boom, the tub is clogged again! We call maintenance again and now he is in our room upset because he had to return snaking the tub again. He now says its all set and we thank him still being patient. The next person in the shower and guess what? yup...clogged again! Now we are losing our patience because we want to move on with our day. We call maintenance and he comes again and said there must be something in the drain. Duh!! of course there is. so anyway we take the next shower and again its clogged but now we all had a chance to shower and were leaving the room to go to the boardwalk. We told the desk if they can take care of this before we get back and they said, wow! You should be compensated for all of this and they will make sure the manager is aware. So we go to the boardwalk and it starts to rain boo hoo, right?? anyway we hustle back to the room and as I am entering guess what, I slip and practically fall. Why, because our ceiling is leaking in the room as we enter. I then called and asked the front desk to have Keith give us a call. He never called us! I stopped at the desk and left him a note outlining some of what we have been going through and to call me and he never did either.The lady at the desk said she texted him and he will definitely be in contact with you. besides the fact that I have a bruised and aching back and I was trying to address my concern, he completely ignored us. As a manager you would think he would contact us and say I am extremely sorry for everything you all have been through and your stay is on us! But nope....
Day of checkout.... We turn in our keys and I ask the lady at the desk can I speak to the manager and Keith comes out. I said hi, I waiting to hear from you and he said about what? I asked him if he got my note and the messages from the desk and he said yes but he didn't want to call me early that morning. Even though he just said that what was he supposed to call me about. He said well you were a problem from when you first checked in and that he told us to leave. I said we paid 200+ a night here and only expected to receive what was entitled to us. He was very argumentative saying that we should have left on Friday and that he knew the note was not up to standard. I also said to him you were going to get back to us about whether or not the initial $30 off was ok with your owner and you didn't. Since that time we had many, many issues including me falling in the room that I would like to fill out an incident report for incase my back continues to bother me. Then a lady at the desk says if I give you one night's charges off your stay will you be satisfied and I said for now but I still want to fill out a incident report. So we fill out the incident report. I also ask the manager Keith if I can have his Boss's phone number And he said he doesn't have a boss. I said are you the owner because you told me you have to speak to the owner? He said no, let me see what I can find and he proceeded to go to the back office and look up information and gives me an address and phone number and a name of the "owner" along with my receipt. My receipt didn't reflect one nights charges off and I questioned why not and he said because you said that you wouldn't be completely satisfied and that you wanted to fill out an incident report. I said yes I did and I have every right to fill out an incident report and that has nothing to do with credit to my stay. He said well if it rains the way it did then sometimes it will leak in some rooms I said that is unacceptable! he then said if we give you back your money for one night will you not pursue for anything else. so, needless to say they credited me one night after hassle. They should give me back both nights for what we went through but thats ok for now if thats how they like to conduct business.
I left and called the phone number that was given to me so I can reach out to the "owner" and who picks up, Keith! I said to him did I just call the hotel and he said yes and I said I asked you for the owners phone number so I can reach out to her and he said everything goes through him and the hotel and he will have her call me. I said why didn't you tell me that when you wrote the information down and how can that be. He said he doesn't have her number and she always calls him which is a load of bull because on Friday he was going to contact her to see if it was ok to credit us $30. Anyway I said ok have her call me as soon as possible.
about ten minutes later, the "owner" calls me and as I am speaking with her she tells me she is now at the hotel and wanted to speak with me about my unfortunate stay.I also asked her if that was her, the lady at the desk and she said no. Something was fishy to me because how was she all of a sudden at the hotel. So, I tell her that I am just downstairs and would love to come talk to her in person rather than on the phone and will be right there. She said ok. I was just down the block not even two minutes away. Now Keith calls me and says sorry, she left unexpectantly and I said what do you mean she called me a minute ago and I am walking up the stairs right now. He said she had to leave and she will call me back. That is crap! I called the police and made a report because I know he had the person at the desk call me and make believe she was the owner or(maybe it was the owner and maybe he is too and maybe they are husband and wife) very shady operation! If he is the owner, what a shame because he made the situation worse instead of just taking care of his guests! I still have not heard back from the so called "owner"
Keith is probably going to say that they are renovating their rooms which they are not based on other peoples similar reviews! He is also going to say that he asked us to leave and find other accommodations which is a horrible way to run the business down into the ground! I would appreciate you refunding the rest of our stay because you and I both know that this was a very shady un-honest operation. Would love the owner to still call me. I have taken pictures of everything that I will post as well as ceiling leaking

Other issues that we had:
-toilet overflow
-Banging on our door late at night( I know they can't control drunk people so no big deal)
-maintenance left a mess behind him in the room
-housekeeper left room opened during service and she left the area
-sand everywhere in room upon entry, couldnt walk without shoes but expected due to being close to the beach(that was the only good thing about this property)-location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was the other half of dvf774...let me just say, she was being nice in her review. I've never, ever experienced anything as disgusting as the Aztec. And, it's not like we didn't try...we went to the front desk to complain about our accommodations and were given another room - that turned out to be far worse. The sheets in both rooms were not clean, in fact they looked like they hadn't been laundered in weeks. When we asked for clean ones the front desk kid just sort of dumped them on us at the door, and when we stripped the sheets you could see the large dark brown stain lurking beneath the plastic sheeting on the mattress. The plastic cover was torn in many places, so I unzipped it like any other paying customer would have done, in order to see exactly what I was going to be sleeping on. I still have no idea what the stain was, but being a firefighter I have a good guess. When I went to the front desk with the attached photo the manager's only reaction was "oh you took off the plastic, our apologies." I'm sorry but in the real world mattress' like that get bagged and put into biohazard bags. Completely insane.

I've read all of the manager's responses to previous posts, claiming how the motel was built in the 70's, styles were different then, they're located on the beach so of course there's sand...etc, etc, etc. I want to know what the heck was on that mattress? I swear to god it looked like someone was murdered on it.

I have traveled all over the place, and have stayed in upwards of a thousand hotels, motels, cabins, tents, lean-tos, even caves....nothing, and I MEAN NOTHING compares to the outrageous filth of this motel. It's been a week since this occurred and that photo still makes my skin crawl.

Oh, the one tip I did receive from one of their employees - after we complained about the first room and moved to the second, en route the front desk woman/cleaning lady says to me "lesson learned, for future reference request a room on the first floor...that's my floor *wink *wink."

How professional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
sshaztec, Manager at Aztec Ocean Resort, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. After speaking to you at check-out and refunding you your money we hoped this would have been an acceptable resolution to your issues. To anyone reading these comments or looking at the pictures we have replaced this bed in question. We have also replaced people in our housekeeping staff. Unfortunately some beds may have stains on them from day to day use, we do have protective covering on all beds to ensure you have clean bedding. We change sheets on all beds at check-out weather the beds were slept in or not. To future guests if you do have any issues during your stay please bring them to our attention so that we can try and resolve them. We do not want you to stay with us if you are dissatisfied with your accommodations.
Cold Spring, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

First of all, read this carefully...BELIEVE ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS! This place is not fit for anyone to spend any time in! The one mistake I made was to ignore the reviews, so sorry I did! I'll start from the beginning, we got there at 11:00 am, I went to see if we could at least get out beach passes, and that was like pulling teeth. We were told we'd be in Room 308, so we walked past it to see where it was, the door was opened as they were "cleaning" the room, and we saw a pair of dirty kids underwear on the floor. Ugh.

We checked in at 2, went to our room, the bathroom sink was not in the bathroom, just outside. It had a bad mold problem under the sink and smelled like rotten eggs. They had made a little pocket out of the washclothes to put the soap and packet of shampoo in, when I pulled it dirt came out with it! Gross! There were ants all over the bathroom due to the water damaged behind the toilet. Toilet was wet and dirty when we arrived. There was dirt and hair on the floor. I had a feeling that the dirty pair of underwear was still in the room, i looked under the bed and sure enough, there it was! The maid simply kicked it under the bed!!At this point I should have checked the beds but I didn't, I was already afraid we made a grave mistake in booking this place.

We went out until about 11:30, when we came back the ant problem was worse, I turned down what would be my 8 year old daughter's bed, the sheets were filthy and there was dried blood on her blanket!!!! I had enough, we went to management who was very nice and gave us 326 right away. We moved our stuff and found that the sheets were more filthy in this room!!! We demanded clean sheets, took them 2 trips to get us everything. I said I'd change them myself, well, one of the mattresses had what looked like blood or something all over it!!! It was covered with plastic to try to hide it, but it was on both sides! We were exhausted so we decided to cover it with sheets and blankets and try to sleep but we decided we were out of there the next morning.

The next day we showed management the the mattress and dirty sheets ( we took photos) and demanded our money back. He was like " you took the plastic off?", obviously he knew they were hiding the condition of the beds. Needless to say he refunded us, we then booked the Holiday Inn in Toms River for the same price, which is pristine and beautiful, I recommend you stay there and not in Seaside!!

I want to close by saying I am not a picky person, I don't care about decor or a mistake, but there is no excuse for the filth that is the Aztec Ocean Resort! I hope my review helps someone decide not to stay there if they're on the fence about it, stay in Toms River!!! Well worth the short drive!

• Stayed August 2012
sshaztec, Manager at Aztec Ocean Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Guest
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience with us. After speaking to you at check-out and refunding you your money we hoped this would have been an acceptable resolution to your issues. In regards to your bedding we have replaced many beds this season which is in line with our renovation that we have going on this fall and winter. Unfortunately some beds may have stains on them, but we do have protective covering on all beds to ensure you have clean bedding. Our hotel was designed in the 70’s when hotels were built with the sinks in the hotel room instead of in bathroom with toilet and tub. I understand you feel you bathroom was not clean but some of our rooms have older bathrooms which we are planning on renovating this fall. We are not sure why your sheets in original room had a stain on them. We change sheets on all beds at check-out weather the beds were slept in or not. In regards to Check-in and beach badges they are only available at check-in which is at 2pm and are returned when you check out of hotel. This is the only way we can track beach badges. Our hotel must buy the beach badges from the town. If any badges are lost they do not replace them so we must buy new ones. Therefore we are very careful when giving customer badges and making sure they understand that if they lose the badges they must replace them. As for other hotels the Holiday Inn in Toms River is a nice Franchise hotel, we are only a season family property and do not have the same recourses that they have so I would expect them to have nicer accommodation than us.
To future guests if you do have any issues during your stay please bring them to our attention so that we can try and resolve them. We do not what you to stay with us if your are dissatisfied with your accommodations.
Middletown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

for five years we have stayed here because of the convenience but no more. The rooms are never really clean especially the bathrooms. I dont know how they train the cleaning staff but they do not know how to clean. This year i was smart and brought a bottle of bleach to clean. Surprise!!! It takes away the mold. Staff should take note of that. They need to vacuum the floors as sand is all over then gets in the bed. The bed we had was horrible. Would have been more comfortable on a pile of rocks!! The plastic mattress cover was WAY TO BIG. Took it off then flipped the mattress at 3am and that was a little better. Then there was a leak in our room. Apparently the AC in the room above us was leaking into our room through the ceiling/window pane. They tried to repair it but i guess they dont know that when you calk something it MUST DRY FIRST!! So the leak continued with the calk also running down the window. They did finally give us a new room. This place really needs to be updated. I am sure it would be costly to do so but it is not 1970 and it is time to upgrade. Will be going back to the Sunburst from now on.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sshaztec, Manager at Aztec Ocean Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
We regret to hear your stay was not enjoyable. As previous guests we should have taken special care in making sure your stay was more pleasurable. We apologize for the leak and that the repair did not solve the problem as fast as we hoped it would. As for the sand we are located right on the beach so we do try our best in keeping it sand-free. The plastic you talk about on beds are used for sanitary purposes. We have been working hard in updating the hotel so problems like this do not occur. In future reference please do not hesitate to come to the front office and tell the staff about your problems or concerns. We hope you do come back in the future and have a more pleasant time.
Aztec Ocean Resort
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Not sure anyone should be reading reviews for such a cheap motel. Come on, what do you expect. You get what you pay for.

The room was fine for the 24 hours that we stayed in it. Free wifi, hot water and a glimpse of the Jersey Shore stars in the Shore store.

My trip was complete. That is all I came down to the shore for anyway.

I certainly didn't expect an over the top resort. It is really a 2 star hotel but I have given it 3 just because we got lucky. I'm unsure of her name but there was an extremely helpful and nice lady working at reception who was more than happy to help answer our many questions, which is more than I can say for our New York hospitality experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Freeport, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This motel was GROSS!!! I booked this room months ago and traveled from long Island. A little over night vacay for 4 of us... we left on Sunday Morning at 8AM got to Seaside Heights by 9:30AM beautiful travel, no traffic only took 1hour and 1/2.

We knew check in wasn't until 2:00 but we went in anyway to let them know we were there. The rude lady at the front desk was not too happy and started out with an attitude. Of course we didn't expect to get a room but we figured, for good business and customer service, they would put our room as a priority after the people check out at 11 because they knew we were waiting.

So we decided to go hang out on the boardwalk and see the sights, play games etc. We had a good time on the boardwalk even though there was excessive sweltering heat with no Breeze what so ever (which I thought everyone goes to the Jersey Shore to cool down with the ocean breeze) Not that day

After checking a couple of times before 2, our room was finally ready at 2. (I guess they don't believe in good customer service) We proceeded to go on their old decrepit, rundown elevator, but could not do it, we actually ran out of there and took the 3 flights of stairs instead. I believe that old thing has not been inspected for years, and we were not taking any chances... When we finally walked in the room, floors were still wet, the smell was horrible, nasty bedding, toilet did not flush properly, dirt in all corners of bathroom, not to mention food on the walls. It was totally nasty....We knew there was no way we would ever think of laying our heads on those pillows in those gross beds.

We ate dinner at the restaurant upstairs, which was good food by the way, and we grabbed all of out belongings, went to the front desk, told them we were checking out and ran as fast as we could back to Long Island. I did not care and ate the $159.00 it cost me. Best decision we ever made, get the heck out of there Fast....It turned out to be a very expensive day trip thanks to AZTEC MOTEL...(resort my !@$%)
My own fault should have read the reviews...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Aztec Ocean Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
We appreciate your feedback and regret that you did not find our hotel enjoyable like many of our other guests. You are correct that check in is not until 2 pm. Customers attempting to check in before current customers check out does create issues with parking and people trying to leave the hotel.
I am sorry that you feel that you could not stay the night and that you would rather pay the money and be unhappy instead of coming to the desk to let us know about your dissatisfaction with your accommodations.
We are glad you enjoyed your dinner at our new restaurant here at the Aztec.
To future customers please let us know if there are any issues with your room right away so we can try and correct them. We do not want you to stay with us and be unhappy.
Hope to see you this summer.

Been to Aztec Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!