“1 night at the shore” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Hamilton, New Jersey
“1 night at the shore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We went to Seaside to see a favorite band & spent the night. We booked thru Booking.com a king bed room. Shortly after booking, the hotel called to say they didnt have a king room & replaced us w/a room w/2 full beds. We were told we could "upgrade to a suite for a liitle more $$" but we declined as we were only staying one night & dudnt plan to do anything but sleep & shower at the room. We arrived early & spent day at the beach, planning to checkin at 3 to shower & relax before dinner & the show. Upon arrival at the 3 pm checkin time, we found no one around & a sign saying "checking in call this number." the guy said, " I can't get there till 5 pm, let me call the owners wife & I'll call you back" so we get call back that someone would arrive to check us in in about 20 min. We only waited about 10 min & got an apologetic lady who was anxious to make up for our wait. For the price this isn't a bad hotel. It was clean & convenient with a small indoor pool, cluttered excersize room, & a nice rooftop (4th floor) deck. Although for the advertised $99 rate we did want & expect a king bed. My husband & I each slept in separate beds as a result. We never saw another guest & we were back & forth several times between 3 & 9 pm. I believe the king rooms were available, but not at the rate published at Booking.com. Also, we were told the Mexican restaurant on the first floor was open for breakfast but at 9:30 am the place was closed, so we checked out & found breakfast on our way home. Another convenience was the indoor secure free parking. Although its small & first come first serve & during the busier summer I'd expect you may not get a spot sometimes. Small frige in the small room, no coffee pot so my husband had to drive several blocks to find a dunkin donuts open at 8 am for coffee. We lucked out & got 80 degree gorgeous weather, but this town obviously shuts down for the season!

Room Tip: There aren't many hotels close to beach/boardwalk that aren't tired & grungy...so at lea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Well spontaneously my fiancé decided to take me to the beach , we got there on labor day weekend and we were told that they had no vacancies , it was obviously a disappointment because we drove around even back to toms river to the holiday inn and no vacancies so I called the white pearl to see if they had any vacancies for giggles , eventhough we had just been there, they looked like a decent hotel and they had a banner saying they had a special for $89 a night and when I called they said they had one room and it was a king suite and it was $300 a night, well it was that or sleep in the car so I gave him my name and we drove back over there, they were very nice when we checked in and even discounted the room for us and gave it to us for $250 for the night, it seemed decent because the hotels around it on hotel.com were going for $249 and the suite at the white pearl had two king size beds and a jacuzzi in the room. We parked in the front of the building where the manager had told us we could park because the garage was full and we went to check out our room ... The pull out couch had torn cushions and the stuffing was falling out of it, the bathroom door ... It needed to be replaced , it looked like someone had been chewing on it , the toilet it would not flush and made weird noises, the bed wasn't very comfortable, the only good part was the jacuzzi tub , and that's where I got my money's worth in two nights I must have taken 5 baths lol. the hotel was within walking distance to the beach so we didn't have to drive anywhere , we went out for dinner and came back to our room and the people across the hall from us were having a party and being very noisy, I went to bed around 1am and my fiancé didn't get to bed until 4am because due to the paper thin walls he could hear everything going on across the hall and they apparently didn't have enough keys because they were banging on their door and screaming all might long. So check out was at 11am and we went down to check out and it was simple , we mentioned the commotion in the room across from us and he said well there was partying going on all over the hotel all night long it's labor day weekend( apparently they have no control of their hotel and no rules or boundaries) but we got to our truck and we had a ticket for $45 on our windshield, so we went back into the office and showed the manager and then he called his boss and the boss apparently was screaming and we could just hear f this f that and then the man helping us finally said oh we'll take care of it ( damn straight you will) so we requested a copy of the ticket and something saying that they will take care of it and a signature from the worker, while getting this done 10 police officers come running into the building and the guy at the office doesn't even know why and I overheard them say 312 a fight. So while all these cops go running upstairs no one bothers to take the elevator and apparently one of the people in the fight was in there because he came running out and left in his BMW and over the officers walkie you could hear them saying well if he's gone he's gone but meanwhile the office manager was saying he knew who it was it was the owners of some bar ... so all of this ends and I get my signed paper and we can't leave because we're blocked in my cop cars and paramedics .... well I'm sorry to say this but I did enjoy the hot tub, but that's about all I enjoyed about my trip, that and spending time with my love. We will not be returning to seaside heights .... At all , If we decide to go to the beach we will spend our money on a decent trip to myrtle beach , where you can rent an entire condo for a week for what we spend for a night and enjoy our get away

• Stayed September 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

One thing I can say it can use is some new paint and fix the walls. Maybe upgrade the tv. But overall the experience was very pleasant and relaxing. The owner was very nice and not rude like one review said. He makes it very clear when check in and check out time are. He even gave us two room keys with out a problem.

phoenixville, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I booked this after checking the reviews and seeing it was AAA rated. We arrived a few minutes after 3pm for check-in and found no one at the front desk so we called the number on the note left at the desk. After 3 attempts a man finally answered and said he would be down. We waited another 5 minutes while watching a man walk around the pool and upstairs hallways while on his cell phone from the security cameras. I called the number again and was shouted at and told that he would be down later. A few minutes later a man came stomping in and told us that no rooms were ready anyway. He said filling the swimming pool was "more important" than checking anyone in. Then he told us that we should stay somewhere else so we immediately left. At no point did my husband or I yell or do anything to cause him to be so aggressive. That man clearly does not like his job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

On August 12th 2012, I attempted to redeem a voucher purchased from a popular discount website for this hotel. Upon my arrival I was greeted by a very unprofessional employee who proceeds to ask for a $12 payment for taxes, so I reach for my debit card and he immediately yells that it's cash only, ok that's fine, but the yelling? I pay the taxes and he asks for my printed voucher, the discount website clearly states that you can print the voucher or use your smartphone voucher ( I have an iPhone) so that's what I chose to use. That was not acceptable to this person, he DEMANDED a printout and refused to serve me. We went back and forth for at least 15 mins before another employee intervened, after seeing that I was upset and shaking by this time, and asked the irate employee to calm down and accept the smartphone voucher. Still shaking I reluctantly take my keys and go to my room, where I am greeted by a door held wide open by a facecloth, that reeked of mildew, dirty walls and bedding, the shower liner needed to be changed,the room was DISGUSTING!!! Between this an my front desk experience,I immediately reserved a room at a different hotel and got the hell out of there! I don't recommend this hotel at all, and Steve the manager who told me his name was none of my business when i asked for it, should be fired!!! It was the worst experience ever!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Checked in around 4:30 - 5:00 an requested a king bed room. Was told we were on the 2nd floor and found it quite strange that alot of the floor were rented out as offices. Went to our room only to find it was quite warm water had leaked from the refrigerator all over the dresser. There were no towels in the bathroom. We went downstairs as phones didn't seem to work and were told they would bring them up. Played with the air and was assured it would get cooler, it just takes time. We left for approx 5 hours and it was actually hotter then we left. Air was obvious broke. Went down to speak to night manager who was extremely rude and now moved us to a double bed room and never offered any considerations for all the trouble. Not a good experience at all.

Cape May, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family of 5 and two other families recently stayed at the White Pearl. Upon checking in, we were told by the manager that the owners son was having a small party on the rooftop deck. (same floor hat we were staying on). Well, the party began at midnight and lasted until 5:30am! The music was blasting and there were drunk kids yelling,screaming and running up and down the hall. We were up All Night long! I tried several times to call the manager (who said he was on site) but nobody answered. The next morning we walked out to drunk kids,passed out on the deck,broken bottles and cigarettes all over the floor. The manager apologized and we received a free breakfast.
We decided to stay the 2nd night we had already payed for. While sitting on the roof deck hat night, we witnessed several shady people hanging out on the corner across the street. It seemed as though there were drug deals going on! To our surprise, a few of the "shadey" people came across to the White Pearl and the manager told my husband that he was doing someone a favor and that they were staying in the room RIGHT NEXT to us!!! The entire night, they were in and out of the room and we all could smell marijuana coming into our room. We definitely did not feel safe hat night.
We were actually supposed to return with 3other families at the end of August, but obviously,we all cancelled out reservations.
I heard in past years this hotel was top notch. Now, not so much. It seems to have gone downhill since they started renting out the party room on the 4th floor. Bad move!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The White Pearl Hotel? Share your experiences!