“Don't book this in advance!” 1 of 5 stars

Surfside Motel
201 Ocean Terrace, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #41 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
travelling
“Don't book this in advance!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Be careful with this motel. While in Google and priceline you will find some excellent reviews, most reviews from tripadvisor are terrible (and I can confirm those terrible ones). While Google reviews favor new rooms and service I only experienced demotivated staff and a totally worn out and broken down room. Door to bathroom didn't close. Window could not be fixed in an opened position. Linen was not ironed and splotchy. Either there are two motels with a similar name, or one side of the hotel is currently renovated or somebody is massively cheating the reviews.
So don't book, before you've seen it!

Room Tip: Don't book before you've seen it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The room stunk. I dont just mean it had a slightly unpleasant aroma, it STUNK!!! When we returned home I had to wash ALL of our clothes immediately (including what we wore the morning of our departure) and wipe down then spray the inside of our suitcases with a liquid fabric freshener so that the residual stink could be eradicated. We all showered and washed our hair too. WHY? We all stunk from the residual room funk at this place.
There was gunk around all of the plumbing fixtures. FILTHIEST carpet I've ever seen. There were several flies and miscellaneous crawling bugs in the room. The air conditioner had a towel stuffed in the wall on top of it, because it looked like someone cut the hole in the wall far bigger than the air conditioner.
When trying to check out, no one was at the front desk for over 20 minutes. We waited and called the hotel phone number. No one picked up. No one showed up. We finally just left the key on the counter and departed. We couldn't take it any more. Oh yeah, the front desk/lobby smells awful too. We should have taken that as a sign and run the other way when checking in.
The pool, however, is probably the only redeeming thing about the place. So i gave it 1 star. If not for the pool it deserves no star. It's also 1 block from the beach and boardwalk, but even that is irrelevant given the disastrous condition of this place.
Don't waste your time, money, or effort.

Room Tip: dont stay here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

plane nasty, this place is so horrible words cant describe.
for starters the lady in the front desk was drunk and had no idea what she was doing.
i reserved online and when we arrived she had no idea of our reservation. then she called the maid that barely spoke any english and appeared to be stoned .it took them half an hour to find our reservation and after fighting with some one on the phone she gave us a room. she told us that the room is not cleaned yet but check out is at 10 am and it was 5 pm. she told us that we can go leave our bags in the room and go to the board walk until the room was ready. when we went upstairs we had a nice surprise . the maid was putting the sheets on matrices that we pee and god knows what stained . the room smelled like cat urine and alcohol ,the bathroom was groose just terrible.we went back downstairs and demanded a refund wich they gave us immediately. bottom line i would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Didn't even stay here for five minutes, didn't put my things down. This disgusting place should be shut down immediately. Stove was broken, walls we're stained, sheets were stained. The room smelled like mold. The woman at the desk had a bad attitude. There were also dead bugs on the walls as well. I did not stay here got my money back

• Stayed September 2012
Mountain grove ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This place is ridiculously overpriced. When they told me it was &207.00 a night for two double beds, I paid up thinking, at least it would be comfortable. Wrong! The place is clean, but that's all it had going for it. The beds felt like the first firm mattresses ever made! They were terrible! My 6 year old woke up complaining of a sore back!

We LOVED this area, but next year will do better research before picking a hotel. Because I know there has got to be better places to stay.

I won't say don't stay here. But do a little search prior to staying here. In my opinion, It's one of those places you stay if everything else is booked.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
West Milford, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Most hotels in seaside are dumps but this place was by far the worst place I have ever been too. First, our plans had changed so I called on the way down to ask for a room with two beds and was told that was no problem. When we arrived the woman at the desk said that no change had been made and she had no rooms left (this was a lie.. We saw numerous empty rooms). When we asked if we could smoke in the room we got a reply of "umm no you shouldnt ahh i dont care what you do" We got to our room and tested the locks to find that our dead bolt stuck and then by accident learned that our window didn't lock at all. I was later standing outside the room when someone who identified himself as an employee of the hotel hit on me and then called me vulgar names when I blew him off.

The room was gross even by Seaside standards. There was garbage left from past people and rust stains in the sink. The air conditioner was missing the front piece. The ceiling was buckling as well.

The plus side is that it is close to the boardwalk and nightlife. They also opened the hotel pool late at night to allow people to swim.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Old Bridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed one night. The room had a really bad smell as you walked in. It smelled of mold/old.
The bed sheets were dirty and by the time I noticed the main office had already closed ( it was late evening). The shower linen could use replacement, badly.
They charged $110 which is average for a hotel next to the beach, but it was not worth it.
If I go back to Seaside Heights I would not stay in that hotel.
On a positive note, the staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Surfside Motel? Share your experiences!