“Stayed at the house across the street” 3 of 5 stars

Sky View Manor Motel
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   45 Dupont Avenue, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
“Stayed at the house across the street”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed at one of the houses across the street from the actual hotel. We were a family with people not staying all weekend so having more than one parking spot was very nice. We did have a few kinks in the room when we arrived but got them taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. Rest of the stay was pleasant. First night some of the beds didn't have top sheets on them and there were no extra sheets in the house. After that our stay was fine, would stay there again.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Middletown, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Planned a trip to Jersey Shore along with my boyfriend and another couple. We wanted an affordable hotel that was close to the boardwalk. SkyView Manor seemed to fit the bill, so we booked the room. We'd read other negative reviews on this site, but we justified it by telling ourselves "well, we won't be spending much time in the room, and it's only for 1 night"...

We pulled up to the hotel and quickly deemed it to be the "Projects" of Seaside Heights. It looked gross just from the outside, but we crossed our fingers in hopes that the rooms wouldn't be as bad... WRONG. We checked in, and was told that in order to get our free beach passes, I would have to leave my license with the guy at the front desk, and I would get my license back when we returned our beach passes. Ummm... leave my ID at some shady hotel for the duration of my vacation??? I DONT THINK SO. I told him I'd leave my college photo ID and luckily he agreed to that.

Next, we walk into our room. We had booked a room with 2 double beds and a pull out couch, but there was no couch in the room. We walk into the bathroom: No toilet paper... Just an empty tube on the holder. We try to turn on the lamp...wouldn't turn on. We followed the cord to the wall to see if it was plugged in and there was no plug on the cord. It looked like the cord had just been snipped in half! We had to rely on the bathroom light to provide enough light for the whole room. We open the fridge... THERE WERE 8 HALF EATEN CORN DOGS JUST SITTING IN THE MINI FRIDGE. NOT 1. NOT 2. BUT EIGHT OLD, NASTY, CHEWED ON CORN DOGS. Gross. Disgusting. It led us to believe that the room obviously had NOT been cleaned since the last people staying there had checked out. Disgusting... I am itching as I write this!

We walked down to the front desk to make a few complaints regarding the toilet paper, missing couch, broken lamp, and rancid food. The RUDE, disrespectful person working the front desk did not even utter a slight apology. He completely brushed me off like all of those things were our issue rather than his. There was a maintenance person who overheard me complaining and offered up some toilet paper and garbage bags for our room... oh, thanks.

Thank the lord I packed my own sheets and pillows from home. I also left them in the room upon check-out in fear that I may bring back some critters if I brought my stuff home. My friends and I pack up our luggage the next morning, and try to escape that place as soon as possible. We had a 4 hour drive home and wanted to get an early start. Around 7:30AM, we lug our bags down 3 flights of stairs and head over to the front desk to check-out. The lobby is locked. There's a hand written note on the door that says "For check-out or check-in, call this number 24/7" with a cell phone number attached. I called. No answer. We wait. My phone rings. The man on the other end tells me that it's "TOO EARLY" to check out, and that we would have to wait until 9:30AM when he arrives in order to check-out. HUH? Are you being serious right now? I pleaded with him that we had a long drive and had to be back home by a certain time, we could not wait 2 hours to check out. He pretty much tells me that's my only option and hangs up.

The only reason why I gave this place a rating of "Poor" versus "Terrible" is because of the location. When we first saw our room, we told ourselves it'd be worth it because it was so close to the beach and boardwalk. After enduring all of the aforementioned crap, we would have much rather stayed at another place that was a little bit of a further walk if we didn'd have to deal with the filth and disgust that is SkyView Manor.

Book this place and maybe you'll get to find some more leftover treats from the last guests!! Maybe you'll get a rotting piece of pizza, or better yet, a moldy cheeseburger! Yum!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
skyviewmanormotel, Owner at Sky View Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hi Dear Guest
We offer free beach badges and keep deposit or ID so that guest return the badges for our future guest.Each baadge cost us $45.We have given you four beach badges.Most of the hotels dont offer,or they offer only two badges.You stayed in first week of August and did not return the badges.We called so many times,but no response.We had to charge $180 on August 19th to buy other badges from town.As you saw the charges called us and said we will return the pass by mail.Thenafter.you have written your review on trip advisor on 8/20/12.
Furher,the Standard room has two full size beds.There is no pull out couch.You can verify on our webside.
Thanks
Plymouth, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

booked twice since the first time was so good. Would recommend it to anyone going to Seaside Heights. Friendly staff. Great pool. Close to Boardwalk. Reasonable rates. Free beach badges and free vouchers for a nearby breakfast place (which had good food). Grills were available to those who brought food with them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the boardwalk have the best view of night rides and fireworks
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Dear Guest
Thanks for your time and review of our hotel.We always try to upgrade our facility and care the vacation time of our guest coming to Seaside heights shore point.Please do visit again and we assure the best hospitality.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was mislead from what I saw on the internet. Arrived to the room (I know we are at the shore and I should have not expected much) but even my 15 year old granddaughter was fearful of touching anything. The room was in such poor condition that the drapes were not even able to close. The room reeked, the smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector were taped to the wall. I felt as if I were in a very bad movie and the "slasher" would appear at any time.
The staff said that since I did not complain immediately ( we went to make sure we could find another room before checking out) I was not allowed to have a refund. It was so bad, I was willing to give up the money and chalk it up to a learing a lesson.
YES we did check out and got a very clean room ON the beach.
If you are thinking of staying here, please know that this place is only suitable for those that are hard up for a place to stay nor will care about hygiene.

Room Tip: If there is even the smallest qualm about the room, do not hesitate to check out quickly...maybe you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
skyviewmanormotel, Owner at Sky View Manor Motel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Hi Dear Guest
We are very close to boardwalk and activity which brings more people and hotel and our big swimming pool always packed.If,somebody wants less people and quiet place I refer tham to stay two blocks away from boardwalk.

Phillipsburg, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We were just there for for 3 nights, We all had a great time. The hotel was a half a block to the beach, amusement pier etc. Very centrally located. The staff provided you with beach passes and discount breakfast coupons at a local eatery. Pool was particularly clean and refreshing and gas grills were provided for use if you were interested. Yes, the hotel grounds are somewhat dated and the rooms could use some work. However, it was comfortable and very clean,. The staff was accomodating to whatever you needed. . My room suited what we needed it for.Two King size beds and a pull out couch which we didn't need,nice clean Bathroom, We would go back.. and would definitly recommend this hotel!! If you want a place close to to the beach and all the attractions and is reasonably priced..This is it, like other say it may not be the Hilton, but it is what most old hotels in the beach town are like, Alex and Mike were great host and gave us directions on a few great places to eat dinner.If you like Chinese the Buffet on 35 was awesome! prices great also! thanks Alex!

Room Tip: these rooms were large two king beds with no extra charge, so go for it!
Dear Guest
Thanks for your time and feedback.I agree we are very close to boardwalk and having large swimming pool which more people like.We welcome your feedback and please stay with us again.
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Place is packed on the weekend...........Sam the owner gave us and extra PARKING SPOT .....Plus we got beach badges for free..........and some food vouchers..........Rooms are average for seaside..nothing special in that town............but we were out all day and night so....everything was good.......Alex the manager gave us extra towels at the Pool.........Alot of single chicks............and Beer..Party on....... New Bathroom in my room !!!! Ask for those rooms

Room Tip: Place is packed on the weekends..........Sam the owner nice guy place is about 1/2 block in...ask...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Dear Guest
Thanks for your time and feed back.Our great staff members always try to make your vacation with good fun.Please visit us again.
Elmhurst, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were just there for the weekend of July 27-30. We all had a great time. The hotel as indicated by other reviewers was a half a block to the beach, amusement pier etc. Very centrally located. The staff provided you with beach passes and discount breakfast coupons at a local eatery. Parking was tough in that area yet every room was guarenteed parking by the owners. Pool was particularly clean and refreshing and gas grills were provided for use if you were interested. Yes, the hotel grounds are somewhat dated and the rooms could use some work. However, it was comfortable and did the trick. The staff was accomodating to whatever you needed. The rates were very reasonable for where we were located. My room suited what I needed it for. Some of these reviewers seem like whiny people that might be more suited to going to an old age home. "A lot of noise and rowdy people". What the heck do you expect in Seaside Hts during the summer? We will all be going back again next year. If you want a place close to to the beach and all the attractions and is reasonably priced...come here. If you're expecting a Hilton, this is not for you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Dear Guest
We agree the hotel has great location being very close only two minutes walking distance to boardwalk and having large swimming pool with three barbeque gas grill.We offer free beach badges and $3 discounted breakfast coupon for restaurant Jimmy next door.
Sam

Been to Sky View Manor Motel? Share your experiences!