“It is what it is.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Seaside Heights
New Jersey
“It is what it is.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

I was in Seaside for the Que by the Sea BBQ competition and needed a place to crash. They front desk guy was nice and I was able to check in early. I was put in room 24, which is an end room that faces the street where there are a couple of bars. More on that later.

The room was fairly clean. But the AC didn't work. I told the desk about it and it worked later. So Im glad they fixed it. The door had no chain and the bolt lock did not turn. But I wasn't worried, so I left for the day and for some BBQ.

I didn't return until about midnight. By that point there was a truck parked outside the bar next door, shining spotlights into the sky. The music was loud. When I say loud, I don't mean loud talking guy in a restaurant loud. I mean like jackhammer, heavy metal concert loud. I turned on the TV, which got a few channels, including the NFL Network (bonus!) on to kind of even out the noise. It would have been better if the sleep function worked on the remote, because I woke up at about 5am to the TV. I turned it off and enjoyed the silence and more sleep.

When I finally woke up for the day I went to take a shower. No hot water. In fact, when I went to turn the faucet to make the water hotter, it spun 360 degrees. So no hot water was to be had. I went to check out an hour before checkout time on a very busy weekend for the motel. The office was locked. So I called the number in the window and he told me to drop the keys in the mail slot. I would have thought there would be someone on premises at a time like that. And it would have been nice to be able to discuss the room in person. But the nice thing was they allowed me to park there the rest of the day.

It was not the worst experience, but it certainly was not the best.

Room Tip: Try to get something away from the street.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We had reserved the Anchor Inn but the rooms were too small for my wheelchair, so we were directed to this place. It was bucketing down with rain, which didn't help the general ambience. We had a large room but it wasn't easy to get the wheelchair around the dining table in the centre of it. It wasn't a handicapped room, to be fair. The floor wasn't clean and I had to wash the bottoms of my soft shoes before packing them and the room smelt very damp. There was no breakfast. The whole area is still in recovery from Sandy, so there is building work everywhere. We left the following day because I couldn't get near the bath and using the toilet was a struggle with the wheelchair. The staff were helpful but the Internet was very unsteady and then cut out completely. We're a long way from home and the computer is our only method of communication with our family; we were waiting for two messages, which we couldn't download.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
JD D, Public Relations Manager at Sea Palace Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
If you had informed us about physical needs we would have gladly directed to some other hotel who could have accommodated you better. We do have Handicapped room but none were available due to prior booking of the room. We showed the room which we had and you were offered discounted rate also. We have not offered breakfast in past or advertised anywhere that we offer breakfast. Space is limited so we do not offer breakfast. As far as the weather goes we do not control it. Our housekeeping staff does great job in cleaning the room and floors are swept and mopped each day. When guests come in and out of the room you are likely to carry sand and dust in the room. We do offer free WiFi and the day you are referring to had major storm in the area which knocked of the internet in the area. It was beyond our control to fix it. Next day internet was running fine without any dropping. We hope your rest of the journey goes well.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed one Saturday night with 2 kids at end of June. I would have rated it lower except the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel has a good location only 2 blocks to the beach with free parking which is hard to find at this beach. The room comes with beach tags which saves the expense of buying them each day on the beach. The hotel has a very small pool which was fine for a dip and big enough that the kids could splash around. The people at the office were very nice and accommodating. We arrived early and they were happy to give us a room since it had been cleaned. The room was a bare minimum, but had what was promised. There were only a bar of soap and a packet of shampoo and only 2 small towels. The beds are old and saggy, the tv only got a few chanels, there was no telephone (but who uses one anyway) and there was no remote to the tv. We were easily able to get more towels and a remote for the tv by asking the front desk. I am under the impression that this hotel is mainly used by teenagers and young, drinking adults and that they cater mainly to this crowd. The room was quite loud at night and thankfully we brought a loud fan with us that did the trick to block the noise. Again, the staff was kind enough to let us use the beach tags and keep our car in their lot after checkout by leaving our car keys as a deposit. A note for families with children - this is a late- night and not a morning town. It was hard to find anything open on the boardwalk at 10am and not much in the way of breakfast. In a town of few modern hotels, this place was adequate, but certainly not modern in any sense of the word. I do give them credit for doing their best to meet our needs. No need to avoid this place unless you can't deal with minimal accommodations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We are proud of our staff and service they provide to our guests. They are always helpful and willing to take extra mile to make the guests stay more comfortable. We will make sure adequate supplies are left in the room so the guests do not have to come to the front desk. We try not to cater to young kids and adults too much but we are not going to turn away guests on due to there age. We do not want to be suit for age discrimination. Each year we are making progress in updating the property. We should be done in updating the amenities and bathroom next year. You will enjoy our service and accommodation a lot more next year. If you decide to stay with us next year we will discount your rate.
Framingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

The elevator was broken for our entire stay (4 days 3 nights), the bottom of our shower curtain had mold all over the bottom, the boxspring was covered in some sort of mystery goo, one of the nights our "reserved parking" was taken and we had to pay for parking elsewhere, and after we repeatedly told employees we DID NOT want room service they kept entering our room while we were gone. NEVER STAY HERE EVER!

• Stayed July 2014
JD D, Public Relations Manager at Sea Palace Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
We are truly sorry about the elevator not working for July 4th weekend. We tried getting the elevator fixed but due to part unavailability by the company it was not able to be fixed over the weekend. Elevator was repaired on Monday and it is in working order. We really tried getting elevator repaired and had technician come around 11pm at night to fix. As I said parts needed were not available and needed to be order. We do not have control over the mechanical equipment. There are not warnings they may breakdown. Things like this happens only when they are required. Once again we have gotten the elevator repair and its working perfectly.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Walking in the place looked great. But at a deeper look: remote didnt work, bed side lamp didnt work, tv was subpar. Then into the bathroom there was no tissue, not enough towels, no hamd towels, no washcloths. Into the shower there was hair, garbage, and the bathroom floor behind the door was unclean. Sorry to sound harsh, but being an ex housekeeper I know the short cuts. It was a nice place if it was cleaned properly. Had a great location and good curb appeal!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
JD D, Public Relations Manager at Sea Palace Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry for the issues you faced while you stay at Sea Palace. After reading your comments it does seem that housekeeper may have missed some parts. We have retrained our staff in cleaning and also made mandatory for front desk staff to check the rooms after each cleaning. We have also hired new housekeeping staff with better experience and cleaning. We hope you stay with us again to see the improvements. Our freshly painted pool is open and ready to be swim in.
We read each review and make changes to improve the service and quality.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This was a great place to stay for location. The rooms were spacious. manager onsite 24/7. the pool was clean but a little small. the location was perfect. this was one of the nicer places to stay for your money. Would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Close to the boardwalk, clean rooms, excellent service, free parking and wifi. The manager al is a great guy and will accomodate you in any way he can. Oh and there's a pool and rooms with jacuzzis if you are looking for a great time.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Sea Palace Inn? Share your experiences!