“Memorable weekend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gem Motel & Apartments

Sea Gem Motel & Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Sea Gem Motel & Apartments
55 Dupont Ave, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #27 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
Old Westbury, New York
“Memorable weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My friends and I stayed here for a weekend because we liked the neighboring motel, Skyview Manor, and both properties are managed by the same owner. The people that checked us in were friendly, and although they were difficult to understand at first, they gave us complimentary beach badges and discounts to the nearby restaurants. We were still a really short distance away from the boardwalk, which helped because after a whole day of walking everywhere, we didn't have to travel far to go back to our rooms. The rooms had a working tv, and microwave and the beds had clean bedsheets and pillows. Overall, we needed a place to sleep and get ready after a busy day and the price and location makes this hotel worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

All the hotels owned by this owner is really bad drug dealers all over the place in this motel they have a child mulester cleaning the rooms and they don't tell you no fire alarms when I stayed there for 3 weeks we had to do with out water for a whole week because a gas line was leaking and they wouldn't fix it the child mulersters girlfriend call dyfs and lied to them saying I left my kids home alone at 2 in the morning and they were out side by them self they clean the room but not very well he sea gem dry dock and off shore are all owned by same people the only staff there that are nice are the ones that arnt indian one again worst motel ever

• Stayed February 2014

Travelers are raving about these Seaside Heights hotels

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

With a little work this motel could be awesome..The rooms were clean but overall the place is a little frightening..Would definitely say if you have children to rethink and stay somewhere else..People who have been displaced from Hurricane Sandy have been placed here to live by the state and although I empathize with these individuals I really don't understand how Seaside Heights expects to rebuild the tourist community with degenerates occupying their beach motels..There is NO housekeeping..You have to make up your room and even get your own towels daily..I DEFINITELY would NOT stay here on the weekend..This seems to be when young party people show up and create havoc..Police were there during my stay due to an assault caused by drunken madness..I hafta say that if all you need is a clean room within a half block of the boardwalk and beach then you may consider staying here..The price is cheap..beach badges are given without deposit but they do ask for your ID to hold until you return the badge..I simply told them I was not comfortable with leaving my ID and they gave me the badges anyway..It actually saddens me to see such a "GEM" of a motel being treated like a "DEN"..If the owner and management of this establishment put in a little bit of time and effort to restore the place..add in housekeeping and rid the motel of the trash that the state has placed here to live..they could very well raise the rates and have many families enjoy it for the Summer Season..Good Luck to anyone who ventures there..If you are a judgemental priss don't even bother..We stuck it out and made the best of it..Won't return though..Like I stated..it's a damn shame that greedy owners would let this place go..It could make MILLIONS>>

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roxbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went down around May 20th. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights, arriving and checking in at 2:00 in the morning. Ken, the man at the counter stayed up and gave us our keys and checked us in. He was really friendly. I didn't want to judge the motel although I read the many bad reviews by the ample amount of people that have had bad experiencesm, so I decided to go and take a look for myself. Before checking in, my girlfriend and I walked into the room we were given and the place was a lot better than what the reviews have told me. The beds were clean and everything (microwave, tv, shower, faucet, fridge) was in working condition. The bathrooms were relatively clean. We each payed 84 dollars; 2 people for 2 nights. I guess we got what we payed for. It was a small motel 2 minutes away from the boardwalk. It was definitely worth the money and I had a fun time. The guy working there (Ken) is Indian I believe, and has a REALLY heavy accent so it takes some time getting used to. He is a very nice person though. I will probably be renting a room out another time in the future with my friends or girlfriend. There were no bed bugs or any bugs of that sort anywhere within our room. In fact, when we were checking out, there was a Terminix card on the counter so they probably took care of that problem some time before I got there. But anyways, great place:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travelled to Seaside during the Labor Day weekend with my friends. There was no room available, so we went for Seagem motel inspite of the bad reviews I had read. To our surprise, the rooms were very clean and comfy; facing the clear poolside. We enjoyed the barbeque by the poolside, the free beach passes and the breakfast coupons. Such a service was very well worth the price. ON questioning the manager about the kind of reviews, he explained the transition of management of the hotel and the quick responsibilities they have assumed to put things in order. Enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Poolside view is nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Well our stay didn't even last one night. We have stayed at this hotel many times before but will never stay again. First off we didn't get the correct room that we reserved, okay that happens. We get to our room right after it has been cleaned and we find food still in the oven and weed in the cabinets. Lastly some guy walked past our room and mentioned something about bed bugs, great. So we checked our beds and sure enough there were not only dead ones but live ones with larva. We asked management what they were going to do about it and they said they will give us another room. Okay whatever we looked at another room and it was worse, by this time it's almost midnight and we can't stay there (did I mention I have a one year old with me). They offered us a room at there sister motel next door, which we said no since if it's anything like this one we don't want to stay there. So I left to find a room somewhere else. In the mean time they wanted to charge is for one nights stay, really we were only in the room a few hours. So we decided to get the police involved. They agreed with us that they were truly infested with bed bugs, they got management to give us a full refund. Also they called an exterminator and the ocean county health department. We have contacted the New Jersey and have begun whatever is needed to make sure no one else has this problem. Please don't stay here. We found a great place a few blocks away, the desert palm inn (see my review). The sea gem was filthy, management was rude, and this place almost ruined our vacation after a 6 hour drive.

• Stayed August 2012
Northern NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed at the Sea Gem from Friday 7/27/12 to Monday 7/30/2012. On Sunday, the 29th, we saw a bed bug crawling across the bed. The bug was brought to the front desk, where the attendant unwrapped the paper it was wrapped in and stated, "I hate these f#ckin things!" as he squashed it. Management was then called and we were promised a room change and to have one night comped. As we inspected the room they tried to move us into, we noticed a foul odor in the room and found a broken crack pipe in a slit in the mattress! God knows what else was in that room!!! By that time, the property manager was no longer on premise and a call was made explaining the situation and asking for another room. No call was ever returned to us. So we weighed our options, continue to stay in a room where we had been exposed to bugs or potentially get stuck with a needle and contract Hepatitis or some other blood born disease. We had no other options and didn't want to cut our planned vacation short - Bugs were the lesser of the two evils. The desk attendant gave us flimsy black trash bags to pack our stuff in. The following day, we called management about our restitution and they stated that they were not going to comp us for an evening because we decided to stay another night, not going to reimburse expenses for cleaning and laundering, and finally stated it was our problem to deal with. Shame on management for stating that this is our problem and not doing a single thing to prevent these opportunistic hitch-hickers from attacking more patrols of their establishment. Also note that we were expected to take our exposed belongings to another room to spread the problem.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Gem Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!