“One of the worst motels” 1 of 5 stars

Sea Gem Motel and Apartments
55 Dupont Ave, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #33 of 41 Hotels in Seaside Heights
Sewell, New Jersey
“One of the worst motels”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

All the hotels owned by this owner is really bad drug dealers all over the place in this motel they have a child mulester cleaning the rooms and they don't tell you no fire alarms when I stayed there for 3 weeks we had to do with out water for a whole week because a gas line was leaking and they wouldn't fix it the child mulersters girlfriend call dyfs and lied to them saying I left my kids home alone at 2 in the morning and they were out side by them self they clean the room but not very well he sea gem dry dock and off shore are all owned by same people the only staff there that are nice are the ones that arnt indian one again worst motel ever

• Stayed February 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

With a little work this motel could be awesome..The rooms were clean but overall the place is a little frightening..Would definitely say if you have children to rethink and stay somewhere else..People who have been displaced from Hurricane Sandy have been placed here to live by the state and although I empathize with these individuals I really don't understand how Seaside Heights expects to rebuild the tourist community with degenerates occupying their beach motels..There is NO housekeeping..You have to make up your room and even get your own towels daily..I DEFINITELY would NOT stay here on the weekend..This seems to be when young party people show up and create havoc..Police were there during my stay due to an assault caused by drunken madness..I hafta say that if all you need is a clean room within a half block of the boardwalk and beach then you may consider staying here..The price is cheap..beach badges are given without deposit but they do ask for your ID to hold until you return the badge..I simply told them I was not comfortable with leaving my ID and they gave me the badges anyway..It actually saddens me to see such a "GEM" of a motel being treated like a "DEN"..If the owner and management of this establishment put in a little bit of time and effort to restore the place..add in housekeeping and rid the motel of the trash that the state has placed here to live..they could very well raise the rates and have many families enjoy it for the Summer Season..Good Luck to anyone who ventures there..If you are a judgemental priss don't even bother..We stuck it out and made the best of it..Won't return though..Like I stated..it's a damn shame that greedy owners would let this place go..It could make MILLIONS>>

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Roxbury, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went down around May 20th. My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights, arriving and checking in at 2:00 in the morning. Ken, the man at the counter stayed up and gave us our keys and checked us in. He was really friendly. I didn't want to judge the motel although I read the many bad reviews by the ample amount of people that have had bad experiencesm, so I decided to go and take a look for myself. Before checking in, my girlfriend and I walked into the room we were given and the place was a lot better than what the reviews have told me. The beds were clean and everything (microwave, tv, shower, faucet, fridge) was in working condition. The bathrooms were relatively clean. We each payed 84 dollars; 2 people for 2 nights. I guess we got what we payed for. It was a small motel 2 minutes away from the boardwalk. It was definitely worth the money and I had a fun time. The guy working there (Ken) is Indian I believe, and has a REALLY heavy accent so it takes some time getting used to. He is a very nice person though. I will probably be renting a room out another time in the future with my friends or girlfriend. There were no bed bugs or any bugs of that sort anywhere within our room. In fact, when we were checking out, there was a Terminix card on the counter so they probably took care of that problem some time before I got there. But anyways, great place:)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I travelled to Seaside during the Labor Day weekend with my friends. There was no room available, so we went for Seagem motel inspite of the bad reviews I had read. To our surprise, the rooms were very clean and comfy; facing the clear poolside. We enjoyed the barbeque by the poolside, the free beach passes and the breakfast coupons. Such a service was very well worth the price. ON questioning the manager about the kind of reviews, he explained the transition of management of the hotel and the quick responsibilities they have assumed to put things in order. Enjoyed my stay thoroughly.

Room Tip: Poolside view is nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Well our stay didn't even last one night. We have stayed at this hotel many times before but will never stay again. First off we didn't get the correct room that we reserved, okay that happens. We get to our room right after it has been cleaned and we find food still in the oven and weed in the cabinets. Lastly some guy walked past our room and mentioned something about bed bugs, great. So we checked our beds and sure enough there were not only dead ones but live ones with larva. We asked management what they were going to do about it and they said they will give us another room. Okay whatever we looked at another room and it was worse, by this time it's almost midnight and we can't stay there (did I mention I have a one year old with me). They offered us a room at there sister motel next door, which we said no since if it's anything like this one we don't want to stay there. So I left to find a room somewhere else. In the mean time they wanted to charge is for one nights stay, really we were only in the room a few hours. So we decided to get the police involved. They agreed with us that they were truly infested with bed bugs, they got management to give us a full refund. Also they called an exterminator and the ocean county health department. We have contacted the New Jersey and have begun whatever is needed to make sure no one else has this problem. Please don't stay here. We found a great place a few blocks away, the desert palm inn (see my review). The sea gem was filthy, management was rude, and this place almost ruined our vacation after a 6 hour drive.

• Stayed August 2012
East Rutherford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My fiance and I were supposed to spend a couple of nights at this motel. We had stayed there about 3 years or so ago and the rooms were clean and not expensive when it was family owned and operated. They now have a new owner and it is disgusting and filthy. I'm glad we asked to see the rooms before paying because we saw about 5 different rooms and they were equally dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to jump into a shower after leaving there. Also, the guy at the front desk said the rate was $169 a night plus tax but once he saw I was hesitant to stay he kept dropping the price down. His last offer was $150 including tax, however, if he gave us the room for free I wouldn't have stayed there. It's a shame a place like this is allowed to be in business.

Room Tip: Run don't even walk away from this dump!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends