“Don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gem Motel & Apartments

Sea Gem Motel & Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Sea Gem Motel & Apartments
55 Dupont Ave, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #27 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
“Don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Well our stay didn't even last one night. We have stayed at this hotel many times before but will never stay again. First off we didn't get the correct room that we reserved, okay that happens. We get to our room right after it has been cleaned and we find food still in the oven and weed in the cabinets. Lastly some guy walked past our room and mentioned something about bed bugs, great. So we checked our beds and sure enough there were not only dead ones but live ones with larva. We asked management what they were going to do about it and they said they will give us another room. Okay whatever we looked at another room and it was worse, by this time it's almost midnight and we can't stay there (did I mention I have a one year old with me). They offered us a room at there sister motel next door, which we said no since if it's anything like this one we don't want to stay there. So I left to find a room somewhere else. In the mean time they wanted to charge is for one nights stay, really we were only in the room a few hours. So we decided to get the police involved. They agreed with us that they were truly infested with bed bugs, they got management to give us a full refund. Also they called an exterminator and the ocean county health department. We have contacted the New Jersey and have begun whatever is needed to make sure no one else has this problem. Please don't stay here. We found a great place a few blocks away, the desert palm inn (see my review). The sea gem was filthy, management was rude, and this place almost ruined our vacation after a 6 hour drive.

• Stayed August 2012

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Northern NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed at the Sea Gem from Friday 7/27/12 to Monday 7/30/2012. On Sunday, the 29th, we saw a bed bug crawling across the bed. The bug was brought to the front desk, where the attendant unwrapped the paper it was wrapped in and stated, "I hate these f#ckin things!" as he squashed it. Management was then called and we were promised a room change and to have one night comped. As we inspected the room they tried to move us into, we noticed a foul odor in the room and found a broken crack pipe in a slit in the mattress! God knows what else was in that room!!! By that time, the property manager was no longer on premise and a call was made explaining the situation and asking for another room. No call was ever returned to us. So we weighed our options, continue to stay in a room where we had been exposed to bugs or potentially get stuck with a needle and contract Hepatitis or some other blood born disease. We had no other options and didn't want to cut our planned vacation short - Bugs were the lesser of the two evils. The desk attendant gave us flimsy black trash bags to pack our stuff in. The following day, we called management about our restitution and they stated that they were not going to comp us for an evening because we decided to stay another night, not going to reimburse expenses for cleaning and laundering, and finally stated it was our problem to deal with. Shame on management for stating that this is our problem and not doing a single thing to prevent these opportunistic hitch-hickers from attacking more patrols of their establishment. Also note that we were expected to take our exposed belongings to another room to spread the problem.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
East Rutherford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My fiance and I were supposed to spend a couple of nights at this motel. We had stayed there about 3 years or so ago and the rooms were clean and not expensive when it was family owned and operated. They now have a new owner and it is disgusting and filthy. I'm glad we asked to see the rooms before paying because we saw about 5 different rooms and they were equally dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to jump into a shower after leaving there. Also, the guy at the front desk said the rate was $169 a night plus tax but once he saw I was hesitant to stay he kept dropping the price down. His last offer was $150 including tax, however, if he gave us the room for free I wouldn't have stayed there. It's a shame a place like this is allowed to be in business.

Room Tip: Run don't even walk away from this dump!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place was terrible to look at. When we arrived the outside looked very runned down. The rooms were disgusting to look at, could not even imagine sleeping in them. The rooms smelled terrible. Stay away as far as possible from this place. We asked for our money back and left to find another motel. See the Colony motel comment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

In all my years of travel, this is by far the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. We had booked the 3 bedroom apartment, and it was filthy.
No doors on the closets, food left in the microwave. I have seen better furniture at the dump. The swimming pool was small, and dirty.
I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible experience this was.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room here.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Booked online at the Sea Gem Motel and let me tell u what u see is not what u get. As soon as we got there we saw the matresses outside of the rooms the outside looked disgusting but we checked in and once I went to the room it smelled like urine the furniture was disgusting and I wont mention the bathroom. Also, three rooms were condemed by the health securites(that said it all for me. I turned around and went back to the reception and asked for my money back. Two words for this place STAYYYYYYY AWAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is truly a health hassard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sea Gem Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!