“THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gem Motel and Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sea Gem Motel and Apartments
You added Sea Gem Motel and Apartments to your Saves list
55 Dupont Ave, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Special Rate
$49 (USD)
Ranked #23 of 42 Hotels in Seaside Heights
East Rutherford
“THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

My fiance and I were supposed to spend a couple of nights at this motel. We had stayed there about 3 years or so ago and the rooms were clean and not expensive when it was family owned and operated. They now have a new owner and it is disgusting and filthy. I'm glad we asked to see the rooms before paying because we saw about 5 different rooms and they were equally dirty and disgusting. I felt like I needed to jump into a shower after leaving there. Also, the guy at the front desk said the rate was $169 a night plus tax but once he saw I was hesitant to stay he kept dropping the price down. His last offer was $150 including tax, however, if he gave us the room for free I wouldn't have stayed there. It's a shame a place like this is allowed to be in business.

Room Tip: Run don't even walk away from this dump!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place was terrible to look at. When we arrived the outside looked very runned down. The rooms were disgusting to look at, could not even imagine sleeping in them. The rooms smelled terrible. Stay away as far as possible from this place. We asked for our money back and left to find another motel. See the Colony motel comment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

In all my years of travel, this is by far the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. We had booked the 3 bedroom apartment, and it was filthy.
No doors on the closets, food left in the microwave. I have seen better furniture at the dump. The swimming pool was small, and dirty.
I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible experience this was.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room here.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Booked online at the Sea Gem Motel and let me tell u what u see is not what u get. As soon as we got there we saw the matresses outside of the rooms the outside looked disgusting but we checked in and once I went to the room it smelled like urine the furniture was disgusting and I wont mention the bathroom. Also, three rooms were condemed by the health securites(that said it all for me. I turned around and went back to the reception and asked for my money back. Two words for this place STAYYYYYYY AWAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is truly a health hassard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My other plans fell through and I wanted to get away for a couple of days. I new it was July 4th weekend and thought I would have a really hard time finding a place last minute. After searching and calling this hotel had a room and the price was really reasonable. After booking I went onto this website and saw the horrible reviews and thought OMG what did I just get myself into and am I going to be wasting my $$$. Much to my surprise when I got there the owners were very pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and it also smelled clean unlike some rooms that you walk into. After reading reviews that said there were bugs, the first thing I did was flip up the mattress and put the light on and didn't see anything. This made me a lot more comfortable. Yes I did have to ask the desk for the remote to the tv which is understandable since so many are stollen. The pool was small but it was big enough for families. I didn't use the pool since the beach was so close. There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. No coffee pot but there is a bagel shop that has really good coffee in walking distance. I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Fort Lee, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

After searching for many places to stay in seaside for my sister-in-laws bachelorette party, i stumbled across a website that spoke so highly of it's apartments and pool. At first it seemed perfect, we were 9 girls, and the website said their 3 bedroom apartments accommodated 8 - 10 people. Oh boy, was i excited, I immediately called, and the guy was very polite and gave me a price which he later brought down, i was very happy, there was a week left till her party and I had booked a place.......

And so the adventure had begun............

We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm, our check in was told that it would be at 2:00 pm. The pool they'd mention they'd just renovated was the size of a kiddie pool you'd buy at a store, not to mention there were bugs, leaves, and beer bottles inside of it. After seeing the pool we still kept a positive thought about what the room was going to look like. So then we walked over to the office to check-in, let me tell you, from the cleanliness of the man at the front desk, you could just assume what the room was going to look like. (he btw, didn't speak one word of English, just nodded to everything we said). The man gave us our room key, and we headed towards our room. As soon as we stepped in the room a strong odor of left over food, and curry had hit us. It seemed like the room hadn't been aired out for months. We then looked in the bathroom which had pubic hair,dirty towels, and no toilet paper. The kitchen was dirty, and our trash can was filled with left over food from I'm guessing 2009, and with cigarettes. We immediately complained to the man at the front desk, he took us to another room which had great decoration such as dead ants on the kitchen floor, but it was cleaner then our last "apartment".. so we agreed to stay in it.

We then lysoled the whole apartment, and the man actually started cleaning while we were unpacking, I also asked for the vacuum and i vacuumed myself as well. We decided to go on the boardwalk for a little bit, and we realized the key the man gave us didn't open the door, so we went to the front desk again, the man called the manager and we complained, the manager claimed he did us a favor with the price, where as he should've paid us for cleaning his apartment. They FINALLY were able to give us the correct key to our apartment.

Around 11:00 pm, not even questioning if we were sleeping or not, a loud bang was heard at the door, it was the guy at the office, asking for a photocopy of our credit card, how his manager asked for it, we immediately let him know that it was IDENTITY THEFT to photocopy someone's credit card, as we explained that to him, he agreed and left. They must've thought we were dumb or something.

My point is, if you're looking for a clean place to stay during seaside STAY AWAY from this place!! It is disgusting, it's dirty, and management doesn't understand this!!!!! MANAGEMENT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH! Someone should buy this place and fix it up, it's a good location going to WASTE!!!! ITS FAR FROM A SEA GEM!

Room Tip: None of the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Gem Motel and Apartments? Share your experiences!