“If you value Your life, Don't Go Near this HELL HOLE.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sea Gem Motel & Apartments

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sea Gem Motel & Apartments
55 Dupont Ave, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751   |
Ranked #34 of 41 hotels in Seaside Heights
Sewell, New Jersey
“If you value Your life, Don't Go Near this HELL HOLE.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absoulutely RANCID, HORRID, DISGUSTING. We stayed in the appartnemnts....and its said when the two bedroom rooms are CLEANER than the APARTMENTS. Worst 2 days of my entire life, We were greeted by a smelly room, with Wet floors, and counters, a Fridge not cold, a front door with a broken door without a lock, dents in the walls, stains everywhere, and MOLDY PIZZA IN THE MICROWAVE from the LAST people who stayed theyre who knows when?!?! We had to check for bed bugs, and we waited 4 hours for the room to be ready, i guess the creepy maitnance man was lazy on the boards. We came to have fun, and left in a hurry, dont walk away from this gem...RUN. This place is below terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This place was terrible to look at. When we arrived the outside looked very runned down. The rooms were disgusting to look at, could not even imagine sleeping in them. The rooms smelled terrible. Stay away as far as possible from this place. We asked for our money back and left to find another motel. See the Colony motel comment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

In all my years of travel, this is by far the worst hotel/motel I have ever stayed at. We had booked the 3 bedroom apartment, and it was filthy.
No doors on the closets, food left in the microwave. I have seen better furniture at the dump. The swimming pool was small, and dirty.
I cannot emphasize enough what a terrible experience this was.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a good room here.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Booked online at the Sea Gem Motel and let me tell u what u see is not what u get. As soon as we got there we saw the matresses outside of the rooms the outside looked disgusting but we checked in and once I went to the room it smelled like urine the furniture was disgusting and I wont mention the bathroom. Also, three rooms were condemed by the health securites(that said it all for me. I turned around and went back to the reception and asked for my money back. Two words for this place STAYYYYYYY AWAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is truly a health hassard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My other plans fell through and I wanted to get away for a couple of days. I new it was July 4th weekend and thought I would have a really hard time finding a place last minute. After searching and calling this hotel had a room and the price was really reasonable. After booking I went onto this website and saw the horrible reviews and thought OMG what did I just get myself into and am I going to be wasting my $$$. Much to my surprise when I got there the owners were very pleasant and friendly. The room was clean and it also smelled clean unlike some rooms that you walk into. After reading reviews that said there were bugs, the first thing I did was flip up the mattress and put the light on and didn't see anything. This made me a lot more comfortable. Yes I did have to ask the desk for the remote to the tv which is understandable since so many are stollen. The pool was small but it was big enough for families. I didn't use the pool since the beach was so close. There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. No coffee pot but there is a bagel shop that has really good coffee in walking distance. I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Fort Lee, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

After searching for many places to stay in seaside for my sister-in-laws bachelorette party, i stumbled across a website that spoke so highly of it's apartments and pool. At first it seemed perfect, we were 9 girls, and the website said their 3 bedroom apartments accommodated 8 - 10 people. Oh boy, was i excited, I immediately called, and the guy was very polite and gave me a price which he later brought down, i was very happy, there was a week left till her party and I had booked a place.......

And so the adventure had begun............

We arrived at the hotel at 2:30 pm, our check in was told that it would be at 2:00 pm. The pool they'd mention they'd just renovated was the size of a kiddie pool you'd buy at a store, not to mention there were bugs, leaves, and beer bottles inside of it. After seeing the pool we still kept a positive thought about what the room was going to look like. So then we walked over to the office to check-in, let me tell you, from the cleanliness of the man at the front desk, you could just assume what the room was going to look like. (he btw, didn't speak one word of English, just nodded to everything we said). The man gave us our room key, and we headed towards our room. As soon as we stepped in the room a strong odor of left over food, and curry had hit us. It seemed like the room hadn't been aired out for months. We then looked in the bathroom which had pubic hair,dirty towels, and no toilet paper. The kitchen was dirty, and our trash can was filled with left over food from I'm guessing 2009, and with cigarettes. We immediately complained to the man at the front desk, he took us to another room which had great decoration such as dead ants on the kitchen floor, but it was cleaner then our last "apartment".. so we agreed to stay in it.

We then lysoled the whole apartment, and the man actually started cleaning while we were unpacking, I also asked for the vacuum and i vacuumed myself as well. We decided to go on the boardwalk for a little bit, and we realized the key the man gave us didn't open the door, so we went to the front desk again, the man called the manager and we complained, the manager claimed he did us a favor with the price, where as he should've paid us for cleaning his apartment. They FINALLY were able to give us the correct key to our apartment.

Around 11:00 pm, not even questioning if we were sleeping or not, a loud bang was heard at the door, it was the guy at the office, asking for a photocopy of our credit card, how his manager asked for it, we immediately let him know that it was IDENTITY THEFT to photocopy someone's credit card, as we explained that to him, he agreed and left. They must've thought we were dumb or something.

My point is, if you're looking for a clean place to stay during seaside STAY AWAY from this place!! It is disgusting, it's dirty, and management doesn't understand this!!!!! MANAGEMENT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH! Someone should buy this place and fix it up, it's a good location going to WASTE!!!! ITS FAR FROM A SEA GEM!

Room Tip: None of the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Englewood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

I have never in my many years of living, have experienced something as atrocious as this hotel/ motel/ apartments/ whatever they call that piece of junk. At first sight, the pool (that is soo highly spoken of on the website) is about big enough to fit my pinkie toe and comprised of dirty pool water, leaves, bugs, and just about anything else you can imagine from the entire duration of the year.

When we checked into our room, the first thing that hits you is the disgusting smell that radiates throughout the entire apartment. Then, when we made our way to the bathrooms, there were dirty USED towels on the floor, PUBIC HAIR on the toilet, and hair and more dirty towels by the sink. there was food and cigarettes in the trash can and it was overall NASTY.

when i complained to the one man working in the office, i was told to place a call to his manager. he didnt place the call to his manager. i did. something weird about that. After speaking with the manager, we were offered 2 options: to have that room cleaned or to be transferred to another room. knowing that cleaning should have been done before we arrived and that we would have to wait until that 1 man finished cleaning, we accepted to look at the other room to stay in.

i swear this only gets worse and worse. when we saw the new room, there were dead ants on the kitchen floor, food residue on the oven, more nasty bathrooms, un-vacuumed living areas, and couches that looked like they've survived some sort of tsunami. i could go on and on but that would take days. we decided to accept the new room due to the fact that it was now 1 hour after we were supposed to have checked in. The man working was vacuuming and cleaning the apartment as we were unpacking and in the room. completely unprofessional and disgusting. we were basically cleaning, lysol-ing and febreez-ing the crap out of everything. we probably should have gotten paid for this service rather than being charged the overpriced amount we were.

to top it off. the man asked us for our credit card later in the evening. he apparently wanted to make a photocopy of it for "proof that we paid." ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! some nerve these people. obviously we didnt give it to him.

all in all, DO NOT STAY HERE!!! EVEN IF IT IS THE LAST PLACE AVAILABLE. i'd rather stay in a public bathroom (and let me tell you...i have quite the fear of public bathrooms) than ever go within 50 feet of this disgusting place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Sea Gem Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!