“pretty nice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“pretty nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a family trip and booked like four rooms. The pros we all we on the same floor and same row and we had a pretty nice time here. The cons, the Futon was only big enough for one person and I wish they had elevators because we were on the third floor and there were a lot of stairs to haul all our bags up and down, not very convienent especially if you have anyone that's handicapp. But other than that we enjoyed ourselves

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had been planning a 5 day reunion at this hotel for months. We reserved 8 rooms. If you are not familiar with Seaside, pretty much all the motels are old and run down. We had reserved Fri and Sat nite because they can book up, but left the other nights open because we figured they would be empty. I had reserved my 5 nights in advance, because I thought it would be easier. I was quoted a price, given a reservation number, and I even asked for a total with tax. I gave them my credit card number. When I arrived, I was told that the room would be more than I was quoted. Because we had reserved 7 other rooms, I had to contact everyone in our group to let them know they were not honoring the prices they had quoted us over the phone. Other family memeber elected to make other arrangements for accomodations, or shorten their stay.
Also, some in our group had reserved 2 bedroom units. These rooms have 2 double beds in the same room, and another room with an old sofa and kitchen sink. If they had told us this on the phone, we would have made different arrangements. Some of the rooms smelled really bad, others were OK. Some of the rooms had queen beds, but double sheets which did not fit the mattresses. Also, some of the rooms (2 bedrooms) had no place to hang your clothes, but they did have 2 TVs. There are no hair dryers, hand towels, or even a box of tissues. There are also no phones in the rooms. Bath towels are really small and thin. There are no vouches for breakfast after Labor Day, but we decided to try the restaurant anyway. No one was impressed with the food. We did not expect much from this motel, but there is no excuse for not being truthful. Also, the fire alarms went off in the middle of the night, and there were fire trucks, police etc....not very quiet. Beds were made and towels were replaced everyday, but that was the extent of the cleaning. Hope I can warn someone else with this review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I went here after a horrible stay across the street! They were $5 more but certainly worth it! Plus free hot breakfast in the morning. Rooms were clean. Portable cribs were available. Pool, kiddie pool, sand box, & game room. The beds were comfortable and had a good stay. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed September 2012
Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Beginning the week of 8/21, My wife & I and the in-laws, had 2 rooms on the first floor across from the game room. Initial impression was not good. When we went to our rooms loud music was playing in corner of the pool outside of our room, party at 1:30pm on Monday; I thought this might not be appreciated by my 90ish aged inlaws; however, they lowered it some when we moved in and it didn't continue during the rest of our time there. In fact, those playing the music became friends during our stay. We had a really good stay. Beds were comfortable. Outdated bathroom but not a big deal to us. Our rooms were in a perfect location for conversation with other vacationers as they passed on by. Large pool by Seaside standards with baby pool and sand box. No lifeguard. The outside bartender seemed to keep an eye on pool activities. Game room was appreciated by my wife(play til you win cranes) and many kids. A great place for families with children of any age. Free breakfast(choice between french toast, 2 eggs with homefires or 2 pancakes) was nice(no wait for the early risers between 8:00-9:00am). No free beach tags. Didn't use the bar or restaurant(except breakfast) but nice to have that as an option. Ladies at the desk were friendly. If you're looking for a quiet time in Seaside, the Hershey is not for you. If you want to be social, don't mind an occational ball coming towards you in the pool area OR have hiperactive kids who need activities to keep them occupied, the Hershey is for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Yardville, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed there during the week of July 22, 2012. The TV did not work. When I approached the owner/manager about this issue, he was rude and arrogant. He said that he did not know when the TV would be working again and if I was disatisfied, I should leave. Granted, we did not go on vacation to watch TV but we like to catch the latest shore weather and watch late night TV after all the day's activities. No phone in the room. There are no elevators so carrying luggage and beach stuff to the upper floor was tiring and annoying. Three long blocks to the beach. The motel restaurant food was terrible. There is no lifeguard at the pool so parents with young children should consider this. 1950's paneling on the walls and 1950's blonde furniture. The mattresses were in poor shape. Cleaning staff did not leave enough towels and would vacumn only upon request. There are no curtains/drapes on the windows, only blinds which do not cover the entire window. Consequently, passers-by could look into the room. The desk staff were also rude and arrogant following the lead of their owner/ manager. We left in mid-week. What ever happened to good ol' customer service. NEVER STAY AT THE HERSHEY MOTEL.

Room Tip: Never stay at the Hershey Motel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Good price, excellent food, rooms are just ok. The rugs are filthy, slippers are a must. The only thing between you and the mattress is 1 sheet, which I find GROSS !! Nice pool are. The entire staff was excellent except for this one jerk. Dont know his title , but he needs to learn how to speak like a human being.. For some unknown reason, our "silent" smoke alarm went off at 3:30 am. I awoke to a cop banging on my door. He asked if we were smoking in the room, he was very nice. Then this guy barges in and says "what are you doing in here that set off your alarm (very nasty) He looked around , didnt smell anything and left. No apology or anything. The police officer was very apologetic, it was obvious it was just a freak thing. We did nothing wrong, the fire dept had to check it out since they were called. And of course , they knew we didnt do anything to trigger this alarm. All apologized except for the guy who works for the hotel... he should've been the 1st to apologize, but he just stormed in and out. . I dont think I will ever stay there again

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Overall the place was nice. We didn't see any of the negatives in other reviews. Pretty clean for the most part. Housekeeping staff was attentive and we saw them everywhere. The problem with this place is the overall lack of attention paid to bad guests. The pool area is a free for all. Kids unattended and running rampant. Rafts, boogie boards, noodles, and balls being hurled around the pool, making it entirely unenjoyable for anyone to just take a relaxing dip. The only thing that will probably finally wake the sleeping staff up is when someone finally sure for negligence when they get hurt at the pool OT one of the MANY unaccompanied children drown. Couple that with the nightly quitter of weed we smelled coming from the balconies of the Apt section, RIGHT OVER THE OFFFICE...not so family friendly.
COULD be a gyrations place to stay if mgmt held people responsible. Liked the room. Liked the layout of the place. Liked the pool (well, if it actually date to go there.) But if the staff won't enforce rules or just common decency, I'll go somewhere else...without the nightly weed smoke.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hershey Motel? Share your experiences!