“Jersey Shore Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Jersey Shore Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've stayed 2x at the Bay Breeze Motel in Seaside Hts, NJ. The first 2 yrs ago and just recently 7/25-7/26. Both times we had clean rooms and the location, while about 5 blocks f\oorm the boardwalk, is just fine with us. It's far enough away to be free of the night rowdiness but close enough but still convenient. We can walk to the beach, stay all day, make a short walk back to clean up for a night out, and wander back without a problem. Manager Mike runs a tight ship. Will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We read the reviews and had our hopes up that it would be a good, but not a great place. We were looking for a reasonable price, not too far from the boardwalk for myself, husband and teenager. Overall it is a 'decent' motel, but we were very disappointed with our room.
First the good: Management was excellent! Mike at the front desk was pleasant, very accommodating, very professional. I felt confident that it was a well run place. We saw families in the small but very clean pool. The continental breakfast was very nice, served at the Tiki bar was a welcomed touch. Ice machine and office open until 10pm, parking on site, two beach badges included (with a deposit.) We needed three badges so Mike said if an extra was available, he would be glad to accommodate us, which he did. Other guests there were some families, some singles, some college age, but the place was quiet and friendly. Good location, short walk to the boardwalk.

BUT we were unhappy with the conditions of the room. In retrospect, we should have asked to see a different one, but we arrived there much later than we planned, so we just 'dropped' our stuff and went out. When we did return we realized how run down it really was, we saw dirt around the doorways, our lamp was broken but working, floor a bit tacky (luckily it was faux wood and not carpeting which would have grossed me out). I guess you could say the mattress and boxsprings covered in heavy plastic sealed with duct tape meant that there weren't any bed bugs, which luckily there wasn't, but really uncomfortable and noisy. A/C worked too well. It's positioned right next to the bed, but was missing the air deflector, so we had to put a beach chair and towel in front of it. We could not feel relaxed there. I wouldn't let anyone sit on the bedspreads, which didn't look dirty, but... After reading all the good reviews, I wonder if we just had a bad room?? We would not stay there again. If you like the location and the price range, I would recommend you choose to stay in the Metropole which is on the same block on the corner. They offer efficiencys and their pool is a bit more private. I have a review on their site.
Overall, if we would have asked for a different room, would this review be better?? Perhaps.

Ohio City, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Harassing phone call
I recently made a reservation for Bay Breeze Motel, 230 Summer Ave, Seaside Heights NJ 08751 Phone Number (732) 830-4555 on Priceline.com. Prior to making this reservation I called a hotel directly and asked questions as to the location, and some other small details. I also asked for a quote for 2 adults and two children age 12. The man gave me a quote of $119.00. Since I didn't have the comfort level and knowledge of whom is the person representing a motel, I asked if I can make a reservation on-line. The man replied yes but to call him for reservation (man had a very heavy accent). I proceeded to go on line and booked the hotel through Priceline.com. Next day I had a message from "Mike" representing the motel requesting that I call back. I called back and "Mike" answered. He was angry and in harassing voice stated "Why did I make my reservation on line ten minutes after he told me to call him back" proceeding in angry voice to tell me that now I will pay more since I didn't call him and he will charge me for two kids extra $35.00 a person a day. My blood pressure raised through the roof because he was so angry and kept repeating that he couldn't believe I made reservations on line and not call him. I was very distort and in disbelief. I asked if he was the owner and he replied: "I am the owner, the manager and everything else". I never had something like that happen to me in 51 years. What type of a business is this motel? At this point I am not even sure if my child (it will be only one child) will be safe in that environment. I attempted to cancel my reservation through priceline (that transferred me to booking.com) but "Mike" would not allow it unless I pay a $100.00 penalty. In addition why would someone be so angry that I made reservation on-line since they are getting business anyway, unless they are trying to generate cash business that they might not want to report. Regardless, no consumer should be harassed in this way and no business should be allowed to harass their consumers like this. We are proceeding cautiously with our reservation since we have no other choice, but no business should be allowed to harass and treat their consumers that way. They are not registered with NJ BBB??? I will follow this post after our stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BaybreezeNJ, Manager at Bay Breeze Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Not understanding motel policy in your part does not mean we are harassing.

We do take all review seriously and take necessary action to improve. We provide clean, well-appointed deluxe rooms with comfortable modern facilities to our guests.
As per our motel policy, only registered guests are allowed to stay, and no visitors are allowed,
Up to two children under 12 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
Any additional older children or adults are charged USD 35 per person per night when using existing beds.This policy is posted on all website .

Here is "Cancellation Policy ,This policy defines how to handle cancellations
Please note, if canceled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged."

Not understanding motel policy in your part does not mean we are harassing.

We just wanted you to explain this policy so that you can understand and make reservation as per your need.
We always like to make our guest's stay comfortable and enjoyable.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed for 1 night Sunday into Monday with 2 adults and a 3 yr old. We were looking for a nice, clean place to shower up after the beach and get a good night's sleep and we got it here for a decent price. There was a bonus of breakfast included the next morning which was nice. The manager even let us keep our car parked there after checking out so we did not have to pay a meter at the boardwalk. We will definitely come back for another short stay before the summer ends.

• Stayed July 2013
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed over a Friday night and the management could not have been nicer! The room was clean and the fridge was cold. Microwave and bathroom were spotless and the beds were clean and comfy! Definately would recommend, would stay again anytime!

Pottsville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My sister took my children on a mini vacation and we weren't sure where to stay because we were never at Seaside Heights. My sister and teenage children thought the beach and motel rocked. . friendly staff and Mike was very accommodating. This motel is a great place for families to stay :) Mike runs a tight ship and you feel like he really cares about the property and the safety of his guests!! We would definitely stay here again:))

phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Made the right choice with Bay Breeze....clean quiet and cozy is what we were looking for and is what we received.My niece and nephew loved the pool ......Thanks Mike for taking care of us...see you next year.....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bay Breeze Motel? Share your experiences!