“The best in Town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River

You added Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River to your Saves list
Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1402 Boulevard, One block from the Beach / Boardwalk, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751 (Formerly Hotel Charlee)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Seaside Heights
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Boston, Virginia, United States
“The best in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We Stay here pretty much every year or every time we visit seaside , i love the renovations every thing looks pretty new i highly recommend this place , friendly staff and nice management made feel like home

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest-Relations08751, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to highlight our excellent stay at our great hotel. Our staff really appreciate your support and look forward to having you stay with us again very soon!

We are dedicated to continually improving our hotel so we may always be an excellent hotel for your stay!

-Guest Relations Manager, Hotel Charlee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Newton, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Under new management... used to be called the Sands. Let me just say that our room/motel was a dump. I've stayed in Seaside before, so I certainly wasn't expected luxury or anything close to it, but this was bad. Got a room with a double bed and didn't expect the room to be so small. There was hardly enough room to move my belongings in. Room was maybe 10" x 12" with a decent-sized bathroom... like a small bedroom. The room itself (#206) was a terrible location. Our window opened directly to a shared terrace. With paper thin walls, you could hear other guests' every word from outside as they hung out and smoked on the patio. My room guest went out to the balcony to see if he could hear me talking in my room from the patio' and yes, he could. So yeah, no privacy. Also, low security. Our room window had an A/C unit in it that could easily be pushed in from anyone on the balcony. Anyone could easily break into our room through the window and rob us. Luckily, our stay was after labor day so there weren't too many other guests, so I wasn't too worried about it. Had it been much busier and filled with teenagers (sorry to pass judgment), like prom weekend, I definitely would have requested a different room. Upon arrival, I inspected my room. Immediately noticed the bedsheets were not clean; there were long brown hairs and several pubic hairs under the blanket. Eww. Grossed me out. I requested clean sheets at the front desk and they were happy to have the maid get me clean sheets, although there was no apology for this oversight. I also noticed there was a used dirty bathroom towel still hanging on the back of the bathroom door. It's now obvious to me that the maid did not do her job. As if the room could not get any worse, when me and my guest went to bed, we noticed the A/C unit did not work. Sleeping that night in hot humid Jersey weather was not too comfortable. The next day I asked for it to be replaced, and the front desk graciously did so as I spent the day at the beach. When I got back to room hours later, I noticed that upon replacing the A/C unit, dirt, dust and lint from the old unit had gotten all over my bed blanket. Again, no one seemed to notice this or have courtesy enough to clean this off. I also noticed that our room did not have a microwave as their website stated it was supposed to have. Fortunately, I didn't require it's use so it wasn't big deal, but still... it's not right to say your room has something and then it doesn't. The next morning, I put one of those "Maid Service Please" hangers on our door. When we got back from the beach, our maid had 'serviced' our room by merely putting two clean towels on our bed. She did not remove any of our used towels which I had placed in a pile on the bathroom floor; she did not make our bed. Seriously, do the maids here do anything? And lastly, I thought it was strange that our motel room did not have a phone. Sure, everyone has a cell these days, but I find it very convenient to have a room phone for dialing room to room or to the front desk. The only positives I can note about Hotel Charlee are that our room had a flat screen TV with HBO, the room had a contemporary (albeit cheap) décor, it had a close location to the beach and boardwalk, and the showers had hot water. Although this is America, so that last one is obvious. I would never stay at Hotel Charlee again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Guest-Relations08751, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Traveller,

We see that you had issues with your stay. We will look into all the issues you mentioned so as to provide the best for our guests. As many guests have mentioned before, we are their favorite in Seaside Heights and are sorry you did not feel the same.
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was excited to visit Seaside Heights to support the businesses that are coming back from Super Storm Sandy, but Hotel Charlee only looks ready on the outside. When you walk up, it looks colorful and fresh and modern, but our room was in a state of mild distress. The bathroom was a DIY mess with tiles that didn't go all the way to the walls or connect to each other in all spots; the shower floor was grubby; the television didn't work. The place was very close to the beach, though, so it had that going for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about our hotel. We understand you had some minor issues. Our hardworking staff would have loved to assist you with those issues. We will continue improving our hotel during this off season so our guests will enjoy the hotel even more on your next visit! :-)
jc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

PROS;
- enjoyable stay
- we arrived a little late for check in which wasn't a problem at all
- was given the opportunity to upgrade our room to a bigger room for a few bucks extra.
- staff/front desk was friendly
- room was very modern & clean
- beds were comfortable
- walking distance to boardwalk/beach

CON;
- AC didn't blow as cold as we like, but it was okay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review about our excellent hotel. Our staff work hard to have our guests enjoy as much as possible and we are glad you did. We will look into the issue with the weak A/C so you will have an even better stay for your next visit. See you again soon! :-)
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We weren't to sure what to expect when booking this hotel for our trip to Seaside Heights, but we were pleasantly surprised. We arrived around 11:30 which was too early to check in, but the front desk allowed us to park our vehicle in the parking lot while we went to the beach, which was very nice!
The hotel had a great location a short walk to the beach/boardwalk. It was only two blocks away which was very convenient. Also, there was a CVS a block down the road and various other stores (7-11, a bar, and a few restaurant/delis.). Everything was in walking distance another added bonus for going out at night.
The hotel room itself was very clean. It was freshly painted and had new furniture and tv. It was equipped with an AC unit, it served its purpose, but did not keep the room very cool. The refrigerator worked great and kept our things cold. The front desk staff and house cleaning workers were all very friendly and accommodating.
Overall, this was the best place to stay for the money and location. We will definitely be back next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Our staff are so happy to see all their efforts appreciated by our guests such as yourself. It was a real pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon! :-)
lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Charlee for several days and it was a real pleasure. The staff was friendly and helpful. Greg and Kevin printed directions to everywhere I wanted to go. The location was great, just a few steps from the boardwalk, convenience store, laundry.
The renovations gave you a real sense of fresh and clean when you entered the room. The room was real cool when we arrived, the air conditioner was so quite you could not hear it running.The housekeepers cleaned the room every day, gave us clean towels and did a wonderful job. No complaints.

The pool was really nice, cleaned everyday. Grills at pool area with picnic table was an added plus.
I will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, and we had no noise complaints at all.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Our staff was very excited to see that you really enjoyed your stay. Their efforts are focused on our guests and we will continue to be the most excellent choice for a visit to Seaside Heights! Hope you had a safe trip home! :-)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

From check in through check out I enjoyed it. It was way above my expectations. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to seasides heights and would definitely stay there again. It was a great location. Walking distance to the boardwalk and convenience store. The pool was excellent. I can't find anything to complain about !

• Stayed July 2013
Guest-Relations08751, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. We have hundreds of guests who experience a similar, excellent stay at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit. Our staff are ready to help you enjoy your visit to Seaside Heights!

Been to Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River? Share your experiences!