“Do not stay in this crappy motel!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River to your Saves list
Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1402 Boulevard, One block from the Beach / Boardwalk, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751 (Formerly Hotel Charlee)   |
Ranked #9 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Do not stay in this crappy motel!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I booked this place with not much research because it was a last minute get away. Big mistake! (should have known because they didnt even have a portable crib for our 10month old) We got to our room and there was no toilet paper (not even the empty roll) so I go down to the office (cause there's no phone in the room) and the staff do not even apologize. I return and then notice there's no wash cloths or hand towels. The floor didn't look vacuumed and the bed made my husband's and my body hurt so bad that we would have probably had a better night sleeping in our car! The second day we come back to the room, they didnt take our towels off the floor, didnt give us back the same number of towels (one wash cloth and towel) and the same dirt and debris was on the floor so obviously they didnt vacuum! and to add, the wifi didn't work!

We were supposed to stay 3 nights but the second night there was such a rediculous party with screaming girls, marijuana and underage drinking, that my husband went out to tell them to be quiet and go to the office to complain. After hours of the cameras watching, nothing was done until my husband went down. That is finally when the 6 police cars and ambulance showed and were there for an hour and a half! Then when they were gone the party started again and nothing else was done (probably why there's no phones in the room) I went out to yell at them too...what happened to security?

I complained and tol them i would not be staying another night endangering my son with pot smoke. We went right across the street. They had MUCH better accommodations! Better pool, kiddie pool, sand box, game room, free breakfast, portable cribs, comfy beds, in room phones, a vacuumed floor, etc.....stay at this motel, not the Sands motel!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Guest-Relations08751, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Traveller,

We understand that your stay was interrupted by other guests and visitors. We contacted local authorities after our efforts and courteous staff were not able to resolve the issues you stated. Our new staff are excellent with their efforts. Give us a try, we will be much better!

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here last year labor day and came back this year. Hotel is under new management and it is TERRIBLE. We checked in to our room... hair in drain, wet towels from previous guest and stained old sheets. We complained and were moved for the night and told we would have to move back to the original room the next night. Rechecked in the following day and the room was still never cleaned from the previous guest. We complained and said we would like a refund. Was told that the best they could do was credit half our stay and would clean the room. There is no cleaning crew except a bunch of kids who take out the trash and vacuum. Completely unsanitary and a party motel. Guests were all partying and using drugs in the common areas throughout the night. Felt unsafe and uncomfortable the entire time. DO NOT STAY HERE! This place should be put out of business. New management is a complete disgrace.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We understand that our cleaning staff did not deliver on our high standards. We have since made changes to the cleaning staff to ensure this experience is not repeated. We will love to earn a better rating on a future visit.
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I loved my stay at sands motel . The staff I talked to was very polite and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. I can't wait to come back and stay there again. It was a great time spent with my family. The manager, Kevin, made sure that everything was in order as he checked us in and told us if we had any problems at all that we could let him know and he would take care of it. It was my sons birthday on the second night we spent there and the manager even brought a cake to help us celebrate the right way. I couldn't believe the hospitality. Our whole family was very pleased with everything.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your great experience that many hundred of travelers enjoy every month. We will continue to improve our hotel to make your next stay as great as this one!
Lee, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We found this hotel last year, we have been goin to Seaside for the past 6 yrs now and were excited when we found The Sands, "American owned". The old owners had rules and stuck to them. This was NOT a party hotel and we liked that! BUT now since the sudden sale of this place, parking was a pain..I know spots are limited but there should be a spot for each room, we saw cars still in spots AFTER there check out tag date and cars with NO tag. The old owners would have been on this. Also the review from "Drew B" is spot on about house keeping or lack there of..We were there 10 days and maybe 2 of those days they vaccumed the floor and NEVER vaccumed the bathroom sand. A mini shopvac would work wonders for them. I went out and bought Lysol wipes to clean the sink and toilet myself, Some times you got a bath mat to step out on and twice we got wash clothes. Basicly our beds were just made. That is when/if they did the room b4 we got back from the beach (3/4pm). I was worried about this vac I booked in early june when I noticed there website was redone..I sent and email and received a confusing call from them about and hour later saying basicly they had no clue when my ressie was. Thankfuly I had the conformation sheet and sent them a copy but they also had no clue what I paid or was due..Check in was smooth and they seemed nice albeit unorganized, there was a very nice lady whom seemed maybe an asst manager. I dont know, I have a feelin they are just in it for the money and see no improvments coming nor rules inforced. Im sad cuz I really liked the room and location to beach. Im not sure I will go back again. I may for the price just find a house to rent instead next year. Oh and we own a pool and while we stayed here we could see it turning green from lack of cholrine and shock, Really pool person or not..at nite pour a bag of shock n swim in and your good by morning. Im also not sure if there other hotel has access to the pool or not but that concerned me also. Good luck if you go..Its not all that bad but just be aware..

Room Tip: I always ask for a top floor that way you dont hear ppl walking/kids running/ or parties above you
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We understand you had some minor issues with your stay. Since your stay, our staff have been retrained, the hotel completely upgraded, and focused on our service. We will earn a better rating on your next visit!
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Thebstaf were pleasant, when I complained about the holes the cracked floor tiles, and the dirty tub. Their facial expressions changed. The room when you walk in looks good, but once you walk in you start to notice the antiquated A.C. And heater. They were not family oriented like some others say. There was a party in the room above me which caused me to finally get some sleep at 4am. I was told that they did not want to call the police on under age drinkers. The price might look good but the amenities are not worth it. Pay extra and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveller,

We take security very seriously. We have since made changes to our team as your experience is not our norm. We have also upgraded the rooms since your visit. Try us again and you will find a big difference!
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

After reviewing many of Seaside's motels, this one was chosen for my daughter and her friend's stay. From the phone call to make the reservation to having to change the date a couple of times, the staff (Kevin and Greg) were very polite and understanding. I was assured that my daughter would be satisfied with her room and her stay (I mentioned the many terrible reviews other Seaside motels got) and if anything wasn't right, they would make it right. My daughter said that the tv wasn't working and beach passes were not given on arrival. After notifying the office, these items were immediately taken care of. My daughter said the room was clean, nice and the staff was friendly and that she would stay at the Sands again. I hope this helps others who read reviews first (as I do) to make their decision easier in choosing a motel at Seaside. Thanks Greg and Kevin!

Room Tip: Its better to book over the phone...and mention that you read the reviews on Tripadvisor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for speaking on behalf of our wonderful staff about your experience with our hotel. We take your words with the thought of continually improving our service for our guests. We look forward to your next visit!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were extremely small. No closet or dressers. Holes on walls. Very unattractive. We were unable to sleep since the rest of the hotel was having a party until 4 am. When we complaint to management he stated "what do you want us to do shout them all". Dont stay here is not worth the frustration. The service is awful.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to see an unusual experience like this at our hotel. The size of the hotel rooms is typical and on the larger size for this area. Since your stay, our maintenance team has addressed all those issues you mention. We hope to have you try us again and you will see a difference!

Been to Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River? Share your experiences!