“New managment = low standards” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River to your Saves list
Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1402 Boulevard, One block from the Beach / Boardwalk, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751 (Formerly Hotel Charlee)   |
Ranked #10 of 43 hotels in Seaside Heights
Lee, MA
“New managment = low standards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We found this hotel last year, we have been goin to Seaside for the past 6 yrs now and were excited when we found The Sands, "American owned". The old owners had rules and stuck to them. This was NOT a party hotel and we liked that! BUT now since the sudden sale of this place, parking was a pain..I know spots are limited but there should be a spot for each room, we saw cars still in spots AFTER there check out tag date and cars with NO tag. The old owners would have been on this. Also the review from "Drew B" is spot on about house keeping or lack there of..We were there 10 days and maybe 2 of those days they vaccumed the floor and NEVER vaccumed the bathroom sand. A mini shopvac would work wonders for them. I went out and bought Lysol wipes to clean the sink and toilet myself, Some times you got a bath mat to step out on and twice we got wash clothes. Basicly our beds were just made. That is when/if they did the room b4 we got back from the beach (3/4pm). I was worried about this vac I booked in early june when I noticed there website was redone..I sent and email and received a confusing call from them about and hour later saying basicly they had no clue when my ressie was. Thankfuly I had the conformation sheet and sent them a copy but they also had no clue what I paid or was due..Check in was smooth and they seemed nice albeit unorganized, there was a very nice lady whom seemed maybe an asst manager. I dont know, I have a feelin they are just in it for the money and see no improvments coming nor rules inforced. Im sad cuz I really liked the room and location to beach. Im not sure I will go back again. I may for the price just find a house to rent instead next year. Oh and we own a pool and while we stayed here we could see it turning green from lack of cholrine and shock, Really pool person or not..at nite pour a bag of shock n swim in and your good by morning. Im also not sure if there other hotel has access to the pool or not but that concerned me also. Good luck if you go..Its not all that bad but just be aware..

Room Tip: I always ask for a top floor that way you dont hear ppl walking/kids running/ or parties above you
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest-Relations08751, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

We understand you had some minor issues with your stay. Since your stay, our staff have been retrained, the hotel completely upgraded, and focused on our service. We will earn a better rating on your next visit!

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Thebstaf were pleasant, when I complained about the holes the cracked floor tiles, and the dirty tub. Their facial expressions changed. The room when you walk in looks good, but once you walk in you start to notice the antiquated A.C. And heater. They were not family oriented like some others say. There was a party in the room above me which caused me to finally get some sleep at 4am. I was told that they did not want to call the police on under age drinkers. The price might look good but the amenities are not worth it. Pay extra and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveller,

We take security very seriously. We have since made changes to our team as your experience is not our norm. We have also upgraded the rooms since your visit. Try us again and you will find a big difference!
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

After reviewing many of Seaside's motels, this one was chosen for my daughter and her friend's stay. From the phone call to make the reservation to having to change the date a couple of times, the staff (Kevin and Greg) were very polite and understanding. I was assured that my daughter would be satisfied with her room and her stay (I mentioned the many terrible reviews other Seaside motels got) and if anything wasn't right, they would make it right. My daughter said that the tv wasn't working and beach passes were not given on arrival. After notifying the office, these items were immediately taken care of. My daughter said the room was clean, nice and the staff was friendly and that she would stay at the Sands again. I hope this helps others who read reviews first (as I do) to make their decision easier in choosing a motel at Seaside. Thanks Greg and Kevin!

Room Tip: Its better to book over the phone...and mention that you read the reviews on Tripadvisor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for speaking on behalf of our wonderful staff about your experience with our hotel. We take your words with the thought of continually improving our service for our guests. We look forward to your next visit!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

The rooms were extremely small. No closet or dressers. Holes on walls. Very unattractive. We were unable to sleep since the rest of the hotel was having a party until 4 am. When we complaint to management he stated "what do you want us to do shout them all". Dont stay here is not worth the frustration. The service is awful.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to see an unusual experience like this at our hotel. The size of the hotel rooms is typical and on the larger size for this area. Since your stay, our maintenance team has addressed all those issues you mention. We hope to have you try us again and you will see a difference!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

My fiancé, my one year old and I decided to take a room with just a queen bed condsidering we can fit in ours at home. We got there, it was not a queen it was a full. So we got a roll out cot which left no room to even walk. The AC barely
worked(it was a window unit that you could have bought from Walmart), there was no remote for the tv or guide to say which channel was which. They offer you free boardwalk badges, but they told us to go down the next morning to get them. The beach opens at 9 and their office doesn't open til 10. The door lock was something you would have in your own bedroom. The outside doors were left open all night, so anyone could have come in and out. The shower head needs to be soaked to it actually comes out from every hole. I don't recommend staying there at all and I never will again.

• Stayed July 2012
CranburyInn, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

We understand you did not find your accommodations spacious for your stay. At Sands Properties, we have 2 buildings with room that can fit a cozy 2 to a spacious 6 people. As we inform all our guests, we do not recommend a room with queen bed to anyone other than a couple. The rooms are also adjoining to another room with queen bed, to be a two-bedroom style unit when needed.
Our hardworking staff would have been happy to see what other options were available if needed.

For the other issues, please understand that this hotel was just acquired by us. We are planning many changes in the future. We hope you try us again and we will be happy to reserve a larger room if possible in your budget.

Best Regards,
Your Staff at Sands Properties
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

From the time of arrival we were treated well. The clerk went over the top to satisfy us.
Checked in early answered any questions and attended to any concerned we raised.
Had a great 2 night stay.
Thanks!

Room Tip: First floor a must. Stairs only
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
CranburyInn, Public Relations Manager at Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time to write us a review about your stay. Our manager is very appreciative of your comments about his efforts to help guests. We are always happy to work with all guests for any of their needs and will try to do anything possible to achieve such goals. Thank you and see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Your Staff at Sands Properties
Exeter, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights and the overall trip was very enjoyable. When we first sat on the bed, the frame underneath did break, the microwave didn't work, and there was no remote. But they said the bed breaking wasn't our fault, we immediately got a new microwave, and they brought us a brand new remote. The staff was very friendly. We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice and clean. The room's decorations (wallpaper, bed comforter, fridge, etc.) were a little outdated, but that really didn't affect anything. The fridge is very small, but we brought a cooler so that really wasn't a problem. We stayed on the top floor and there was a nice sun deck right outside our door, which was cool. The beach and boardwalk are about a block and a half away. That was extremely convenient. We slept in until about 10 each day, but the walls must be thin or something because we were able to hear other people on our floor awake at much earlier times.
But overall, the room was a great value with friendly service and a convenient location.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge - Seaside Heights / Toms River? Share your experiences!