“Immaculate room, lovely reception, incredible value” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Immaculate room, lovely reception, incredible value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Needed a room on a rainy afternoon in order to spend time with my niece who lives near this hotel and her three tiny babies (I live in New York City) as I cannot go into her home due to being allergic to her cat. We would have been able to sit outside in her yard, had it not been a very stormy day. So, I booked this hotel through priceline and told the front desk reception that we would only be there for a short while. The very warm and professional young woman at reception assigned me a beautiful, clean room with a great firm mattress (sat on it to try it) and every single area of the room was spotless. I am so happy to find this hotel that is near my niece which means that now we can spend a few hours together talking and sharing with me having the opportunity to spend time with the babies at other times, especially in the winter when it is too cold to sit outside.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and I paid to spend a few nights at this hotel while we apartment-hunt. BAD DECISION. At over $100 a night, I thought I could expect a reasonably-comfortable, clean hotel with a few amenities. I was wrong.
The room smells funny. Not terrible, but "off."
When my husband pulled down the sheets on the bed, there were dark black hairs (more than one) on the sheets and both pillows. And the blanket. He went downstairs to get a new blanket, only to be given a new "clean" one that was ALSO full of human hair. When I pulled the comforter off the bed it was actually damp in an area with several pubic hair on it. EW. We ended up having to get our own bedding out of our car and put it on the bed.
While the rest of the room is reasonably clean (although there were black hairs in the bathroom sink and countertop, too) this experience is so disgusting that I feel like I need to wash all of my clothes and objects as soon as we leave this hotel. We've even picked up antibacterial wipes to wipe down everything here.

Also disappointing, though not deal-breakers in and of themselves:
1. No work out facilities
2. Very limited television channels
3. They only clean your room once a week

The only benefit I can think of of this place is the wireless internet connection and the fact that the fridge and kitchen appliances are very clean.

If I had to do it all over again, I would just stay at a Best Western or a Holiday Inn or something and forego the kitchenette - at least it would be clean.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The location was wonderful as we were staying for one night after a football game and the price was the lowest in the area. They had a small area of parking with a roof and the parking without a roof was close to the front doors. Overall the place seemed like it was in good condition except looked like the rooms could use a touch up (at least in mine). In our room, the volume on the television didn't work and the shower also didn't have much force behind it. Our bed was a bit too hard to our liking and although the hotel seemed filled and was rather quiet in the halls, the refrigerator in the room and the air/heater was very noisy and clicked on and off all night.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

The location is pretty good, right off the service road at 17 and 3 near the Meadowlands sports complex. Good access to the NJ turnpike, Secaucus, and even NYC for occasional trips (not a daily commute). Room description: The kitchenette is decently setup: range top, toaster, sink, full sized fridge/freezer. Plates and flatware for 2 are provided. Two desks, and a smaller lazyboy are present in the 2 rooms I visited/used. Wireless internet currently costs $5 for unlimited stay per person. The windows opened in the rooms, and the tidal meadowlands keep bask side rooms quiet at night. Cons: The bed was extremely hard made sleeping fitful, TV channels were very limited (dish network, several basic channels blocked), no business center or network printer, dryer in the Laundry was out of order and not labled, colleague's room smelled strongly of previous pets/waste but otherwise seemed pretty well cleaned. Although there were no other glaring issues or serious problems, I can safely say after 5 days stay, I would pick another location for future stays.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

we stayed here as a last minute option. the room was $120 US per night, which is very very reasonable for NYC vicinity. The exterior of the hotel is decent, although there are no stores close by, 7-11 is approx 1 km away.
we took NJ transit into the city, the station is about 5 min away, there are 2 stations that can take you into PENN station, problem is none of them are direct, you need to transfer. overall it takes just under a hour to get into the city- most of that being connection time, the actual ride time is 20 minutes, but that is okay. parking at Rutherford station is 50 cents /hr, and free on sundays. it costs 7.50 round trip. parking at the hotel is free. i suppose it is easier than driving in. i'm told it's close by if you choose to do that.

thoughts on the hotel:
front desk people aren't the most helpful, really weren't helpful at all. they didn't know which station you had to go to for the NJ transit, we had GPS so that was helpful.
the room- basic, there is a kitchenette which we did not use, very roomy, but it did smell. bring some febreze or something like that. there is no housekeeping.
overall the hotel is OK. but due to the location and price, it was worth it, esp for a quick weekend.

i would stay there again, but would bring some air freshner!!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manager-PWY, Manager - RMW at Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
"I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Meadowlands - Rutherford. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2007

My husband, 4 month old daughter and I travelled to the NYC area for a 6 day visit in September 2007. We booked all of our rooms through Priceline's Name Your Own Price Service. We use this service all the time, so we don't fault them for our experience at this hotel, except that there is no way this ranks comparable with any other 2 star hotel I have stayed at. I wasn't really expecting much from this hotel, but I do expect cleanliness. The place was filthy. There was no way our room was cleaned adequately before we arrived. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting with hair, dirt, and even dead bugs all over the floor and in the tub. We left our shoes on the whole time we were in the room because it was so filthy. The room also smelled like stagnant water (maybe from the air conditioner). At first, I thought my daughter needed a diaper change, but the smell lingered the entire time we were there. The kitchen is handy, but it was also unclean. The microwave had food all over it. If it weren't for the fact that finding a hotel in this area was nearly impossible for the date we were there, I would have packed up immediately and forfeited the $65 we spent there. If you are staying there, be sure to pack an extra pillow. They only give you two pillows on the bed and they are both flat and lumpy. ESA should break down and go spend $10 a room for new pillows!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Altamonte Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed at the Extended Stay for 3 months. It is in a good location for visiting NYC, much less expensive than NY it's self. You can ride the NJ railway to NYC Penn Station or ride the NY Waterway Ferry there. The hotel upkeep is pretty good, they keep trash picked up and the furniture is OK. The only real negative is the maid service leaves a bit to be desired. But, if you are only going to stay a weekend or a couple of days it is fine. For any time longer, you will be dusting the room yourself, not to mention the shower.

• Liked — I liked the large rooms the most.
  • Disliked — Cleaning the bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - Rutherford? Share your experiences!