“Very "UnMarriottlike"” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
Massachusetts
“Very "UnMarriottlike"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not the same hotel as the pictures. The shower was dangerous, funny threshold that was very slippery, the water slipped right on the floor. This room is a hazard for anyone, and I am not handicapped. The can only imagine how it is for someone unsure on their feet.

The air conditioner rumbled like a truck all night and did not cool anything. The pool was old, dirty and not inviting. The hot tub was stained, the entire hotel smelled like chlorine, and my wife and I both had an itchy red rash when we got out, and we had to shower in that awful shower.

Your associate at the desk was confused when I checked in, so when I left I saved my time by not saying anything. But I see someone else did according to other reviews on Trip Advisor, but nothing was done.

Seems the shower and A/C is an ongoing issue.

It is very close to NY and the Meadowlands, but I will try somewhere else. If I had paid, I would have asked for a refund. I used my Marriott points for the room, I emailed them and asked for my points back. Very very disappointed. Ruined our time.

Room Tip: I am not sure.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
gr70545 ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We're pleased to have had you and your wife stay with us at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel. All of your concerns have been addressed in a personal e-mail to you, and I appreciate your kind response. We are in the process of repairing the appearance of the hot tub and assure you it is totally safe and clean. Inspections are done weekly to test the water and we've had no issue with the water quality. I've also checked the a/c unit and I have submitted a work order to get it replaced. Thank you very much for corresponding with us. We invite you and your wife back at any time to experience a more pleasant stay.

Toni Pinto, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
cagedmonkees
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there with my handicapped travel companion. Requested a roll in shower. The shower had a metal plate on the floor of the shower. This created a problem with not having a level surface for someone that has mobility problems. When I complained at front desk, the maintenance man was there and said that was the only way they could create a pitch for the water to go down the drain. Iffy solution for a regular room, however for a handicapped room this is a nightmare. The desk said they will be renovating soon. I hope so!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Cagedmonkees,

Thank you for taking the time to write about us on TripAdvisor. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I will look into it expediently.

Bedford, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed a few weeks ago for a conference. The hotel was great; clean, no issues at all. It's very close to the bus stop and the staff was very nice at helping a southern girl learn the bus route. :). After my experience with the Newark Airport, I hope I never step foot in NJ again, but if I had to, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had a wonderful time at this hotel everyone was very friendly and the staff was very nice. Nice size rooms i had one with a balcony and had a beautiful view of the city Also the hotel was very clean. The only problem i had was the A/C stopped working and i called the front desk and with in about 2 minutes the maintenance man rob can to fix the problem.. They are very fast to respond to guest problems which is a huge plus in my book. I will be back when i visit again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you frank546 for the kind words and recommendation. We’re thrilled you found our customer service top rate, I’ll pass along your praise to Rob! We look forward to your next visit.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I recently visited NY City for four days. Since the hotel rates in the city were so high, we decided to once again stay in NJ and commute. The Renaissance Meadowlands is a 4+ hotel and was at least $100 a night less than a lesser hotel in NY. The bus stop is across the street from the hotel and is the last stop before arriving at the Port Authority Terminal and the first stop on the return. It is very convenient and not costly.
Our room was lovely and very comfortable and quiet. The staff was pleasant and helpful. An additional bonus is free parking.
I am a travel agent and would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you SUSAN H for your review and recommendation! The biggest compliment of all is recommending the Renaissance Meadowlands to friends and coworkers. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area.

Have a great summer,
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We've been to the Renaissance Inner Harbor in Baltimore and other Renaissance hotels, and I thought this would be Renaissance quality. It was really just a very ordinary Marriott.

We brought our kids to the hotel for an overnight so they could swim, as a staycation treat over Memorial Day weekend. We requested early check-in--got to the hotel at 2:30; room not ready for regular check-in at 3:00. No problem; we took the kids to swim. I visited the front desk again and again, always put off for another 40 minutes or so. Finally at 5:00 I got snippy and they found a room for the kids to shower and change for dinner. First room of our "real" rooms ready at 5:15. Second room ready at 5:45. Both more than two hours after check-in time.

I asked for the front desk to comp us for breakfast the next morning and they did, which went a long way toward taking the aggravation away. Staff all very pleasant and apologetic about delays, and they said the hotel was completely sold out--which I found difficult to believe since I had made our discounted reservation on Marriott.com about two days before. The food in the restaurant the next morning was very good, and again the waiters and staff there were all nice and let us sit for quite a while without rushing us.

The rooms were all right but small. Beds comfy. Pool is not nearly as nice as it looks on the Marriott website--it's much smaller and the bottom looks scratched-up and worn. Pool room is dark and is not locked--you don't need to use a room key to get in. Ceiling drips from condensation, so ventilation not adequate. Next time we'll try a different Marriott.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
GromittheDog, I’d like to apologize for the delays you experienced at check in. I will work closely with housekeeping to ensure the night after a sellout we have more staff available to turn the rooms over more quickly. We pride ourselves on great customer service and I’m very sorry we fell short during your stay. I’m pleased your family enjoyed the pool and found our beds comfortable, and that you found our staff pleasant. We hope you’ll give us another try with staying in the Meadowlands

Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This has been our favorite hotel in NY area, we stayed here many times as the access to NYC is very convenient. But the last stay this spring has been very disappointing.

Upon arrival late in the evening we waited a long time for the check in, there were two people manning the front desk but both were engaged in a discussion and looking intently at the computer screen. Having driven from Montreal, we were tired and didn't expect this attitude. When I asked about an upgrade, being a marriott rewards gold member, I was told the hotel is full - really? the parking lot was empty at 9pm. Ok, we took the key and went to our room - only to discover that the bathroom door was broken and did not close. Back to the reception, changed the room. Frankly, this never happened in any of the Marriott hotels we have stayed in over the years. The air conditioning was loud, but the beds were okay.

We took advantage of the bus to NYC, this was great as there are several lines that run often even on weekends.

When we checked out, the printer did not work so no receipt, only to find out a couple of days later that they charged us the wrong rate. After a couple of phone calls, this was resolved, but they asked me to provide proof that I had that rate on my reservation. I aslo found out in this exchange that this hotel is not actually a Marriott property, it's part of Concord hotels. Maybe that explains the issues we had this time.

So, if you need to stay in this area (location is great), I suggest to try the Courtyard next door, much friendiler and better customer service standards.

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, ask for a high level room facing Manhattan
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for your review LumiMontreal. I would like to offer my apologies for the service you experienced, it is unacceptable. Guest Service is very important and I will work with our team to ensure this does not happen again. We appreciate your business and that you took the time to share your review. At Concord hotels, we take Renaissance hotel service standards seriously to ensure we live up to this great Marriott brand.

Toni Pinto, General Manager

Been to Renaissance Meadowlands Hotel? Share your experiences!