“Unimaginative food, poorly executed. A total bust.” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 84 Restaurants in Rockaway
Cuisines: American
Rockaway NJ
“Unimaginative food, poorly executed. A total bust.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Rockaway Barn is a lamentably bad restaurant, with a cynical menu and marketing message that over promise and under deliver. The food is poor and I can't recommend it.
I am sorry to be writing this. My family and I try EVERY restaurant that opens locally, always looking for something decent and unpretentious, hopefully locally owned, and this new restaurant is the absolute closest to our home. If it was any good, we'd be delighted to give them our custom on a regular, perhaps even weekly, basis. Our tastes are broad; we enjoy fine dining but love well executed basic pub food - wings, burgers, ribs, pasta, salads etc. This is the kind of vittles that almost any restaurant in this country can knock out on auto pilot, but not a single one of our party of six found their meal at the Barn worth finishing, and we ordered a wide range of dishes. Some food was seriously nasty - past-its-prime, stinky fish and chips; deep-fried bacon on a bacon cheeseburger. What does that do to the oil?
Perhaps the range of dishes is part of the problem. The menu is vast, but uninspired and unfocused. Most food is fried; there are five soups and 18 side dishes. It would be hard to prepare a menu like this fresh every time, and require an abundance of skill, integrity, commitment, and manpower, none of which are obviously on display here. The freezers, fryers, and microwaves must be a truly impressive sight, but ownership promise 'down home, cutting-edge, melting pot American Cuisine using the finest farm fresh, local ingredients'.
Balderdash! Words are cheap; I see no reason to believe these. Please ownership, respond. Tell us what is farm fresh and local; I will eat my words, and my hat. I promise. Provide me with that affordable, cutting-edge locavore grub and I'll bring the family back. I'll tell my friends; I'll write a positive review. I really did want this place to be good. But it isn't. The Service, by the way, was OK at our table but plain rude at the bar.

• Visited October 2012

Lafayette, New Jersey
“NEVER AGAIN EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Absolutely never again. I don't care if it was ok with the host of our party that we were shoved in a corner for two hours, with none of your wait staff asking if we were ok, it's not ok. When we are bumped for electricians fine, I'll wait an hour at the bar, I've done it before, but when we continue to be bumped for patrons who just arrived, and we are a special group of 20, it's not ok. Good business practice would have been to hold cleared tables and find a way to put them together to meet our needs rather than continue to serve others without reservations. Your excuse might be that they have no power, but members of our group had no power either, and it is just plain common courtesy to talk to not just the host, but to the entire group and ensure that we are ok, during the 2 hour delay you gave us. People started to leave, we left with empty stomachs after 9. First off, you shouldn't eat after that hour because it is bad for your metabolism and I refuse to mess with mine. We were put in a corner as I said, with no update, the entire time only to hear others being served like we were second class citizens. I merely state that we will not return or have parties here (When I go out with friends I go out in large groups 10+ typically and they will not come here either from now on), only to have your waitress or owner on a high horse get in my face and give me excuses for their poor service. Then after we left, I hear that other members of our party were moved again to a far away table. Never again. If I could give them a 0 or even a negative rating I would.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Naples, FL
“Large Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Went here for lunch with family who lives in the area. There were many, many things to choose from on the menu, so everyone found something they wanted. We all thought our lunch was good. I understand it can get very noisy in the evening, so I was glad we were not there at night. The prices are reasonable.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Wait out the kinks.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our waiter was attentive but that is where the good rating ends. Being locals we were here in the first few weeks it opened, and having a decent food experience, albeit service was iffy then as it was new, we went back for the Sunday Breakfast Brunch. AWFUL. Food was either over cooked or reheated for hours beforehand. The crepes were BURNT on the bottoms in the warming pan. Shrimp was pale pink from being over cooked. Cookies looked purchased from a supermarket. Omelets were very good, but these were cooked fresh on the spot. We will not return until the ratings improve or until they serve the same quality food that they served the first weeks they were open. Also be careful of the ramp going into the side dining room. It dips in the middle and women wearing heals (or the elderly) better hang onto the railing. Steps would have been a safer idea. This was a very disappointing birthday experience for our 3 generations of family there.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Memphis, Tennessee
“Poor Food & Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at a hotel nearby and picked the nearest local restaurant we could find in the area. When we walked in it was apparent this was really a sports bar disguised as a restaurant. The walls are covered in large screen TV's and the music is non stop and loud.

I ordered a Philly Cheesesteak figuring since we were less than 100 miles from Philadelphia it had to be good. Wrong - the sandwich was large with a generous helping of meat, but it had not a trace of cheese, onions, or jalapeño all of which were listed on the menu.

My wife ordered a turkey burger that tasted like cardboard.

Very bad experience, and slow service on top of very poor quality food.

• Visited September 2012