“Very Jersey” 3 of 5 stars

201.845.5101
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dog & Cask is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 25 Restaurants in Rochelle Park
Cuisines: American
Description: ABOUT THE DOG & CASK Welcome to the The Dog & Cask, the newest addition to the Bergen County culinary scene! We welcome all who look for good hospitality, great food, and solid drinks. The Dog & Cask is a place for all occasions. With its reclaimed wood interior and inviting fireplace, the Dog & Cask is a place without pretense. At The Dog & Cask we believe in true locally sourced foods, and well-crafted drinks. Our approachable seasonal cuisine is presented in an array of small plates, house-made charcuterie boards and main dishes. Our innovative bar program offers vintage and modern cocktails crafted with small batch spirits, craft beer, boutique wines from low volume family owned vineyards, cask wine and barrel aged cocktails. The large bar is perfect for catching a drink after work or watching a game on our 8 TV's. We offer a wide selection of seating options, from cozy lounge chairs to a communal table and we can accommodate groups of many different sizes. Our "Red Room" with is available for parties of up to 50 people. We hope to see you soon!
Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Very Jersey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Interesting but fairly limited beer selection and a fist pumping atmosphere ruin some of the charm here. The atmosphere is more upscale than expected off the highway and the upscale collection of brews including rare cask beer is good, but fairly small. Don't trust the menus either as most of what was listed was not available and what was, was not on the menu. Staff was ok, ranging from very friendly host to surly waitresses who brought the wrong beer and were quite slow. The crowd on a Saturday night was also very fist pumping and the reek of cologne was overwhelming. Worth a visit on a weekend afternoon to check some rare beers off your list.

Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
When you pick something off our menu, you should expect that we have it. I'm sorry that we dropped the ball, Tyler. It sounds like we had run out of a few things the night you came in. That said, we should've told you right when you sat down that we were out of certain menu items. As for the beer selection, we offer quite a wide variety of over 30 craft beers. All that said, I'm glad you gave us a try and hope you'll come back again soon.

Take care,

Little Ferry, New Jersey
“Missed the mark”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'm Irish, I've eaten in many pubs and bars. I chose to eat lunch here only because they have scotch eggs on the menu.
I called ahead to ask if reservations were necessary for midday lunch. They took my name and I requested scotch eggs even though they are on the dinner menu, they obliged.
The place was pretty empty, I think in hindsight sitting at the bar would have had more atmosphere but it was a group of 3 so we wanted to chat. The server was not very well informed on the selection of craft beers, she seemed in a daydream, sometimes we weren't sure if she was gonna bring us the orders.
Scotch egg was runny, that's not right. Pickles were a mix of pickled veg. Burger was tasty and the Parmesan fries. Grilled cheese was pimped and tasty too. The menu is limited and I'm not sure it suit a pub, it's quirky and tries too hard. I do acknowledge and respect the ethos of supporting local brewery's and food suppliers. I'm not sure it is being executed well though. Pity cos I really wanted to love this place and make it my local.

Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Sounds like we weren't quite what you were expecting, Gerard, and I'm sorry to hear the scotch eggs weren't to your liking. We'd love to help you find something on the menu that better suits your tastes next time. As for your waitress, thank you for bringing that to my atention. We always want you to feel well taken care of here, and I'm sorry she didn't do a better job of explaining our beer selection or taking your order. I'm glad to hear you did enjoy the burger and fries though. Hope you'll give us a second chance to show you what we're capable of.

WashingtonDC
“nice vibe, and a good food option in Rochelle Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

My family and I went to The Dog & Cask for dinner one night, and overall, I felt it was a good food option in Rochelle Park (especially considering there aren't that many around here).

It was rather easy to get a table for six on the same day, which could be either good or bad. The restaurant was about half-full when we got there, and filled up towards the end. They seem to have a private room on the left as you walk in, but since it's kind of closed-in, it would get pretty loud if you didn't have the whole room. We opted to sit on the right there's more open seating but you can still see the sports games on the televisions at the bar.

The drink menu looked rather large. They have a whole lot of beers, but when I ordered one from the menu, the waiter pointed me to the piece of paper that came with the menu which were the options they had currently. What's the point of putting many beers on a printed menu if you don't actually have those options? My cousin and I ordered cocktails, but we were not terribly impressed with them. The cai"beer"inha -- which was beer along with cachaca and lime -- I mean, is that really a thing or did they just make that up? It wasn't a very tasty drink...

The food was probably the best aspect of this restaurant. Because we were a large party, we were able to order a lot of different options. The best dish was the short rib, as it was a large portion and very tender. The scotch egg was tasty, and well-executed.

The service was somewhat spotty. A bunch of the servers would congregate near the bar area, even though they all had a few tables. It took a very long time for our server to take our food orders, and I actually had to ask him to take our orders.

Overall, I liked The Dog & Cask. It's no secret that there are many "different" restaurants in this area, and so this is definitely one of the better options!

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Thanks for stopping by! Sounds like you and your group had a pretty good time, but I'm sorry to hear the drinks weren't quite to your liking. We'd be more than happy to help you find a drink that better suits your tastes next time. As for the service, it sounds like we were a little off our game. That said, I'm going to look into how we can be more efficient with our service on your next visit. Hope you'll come back so we can show you what we're capable of!

NJ
“Second visit needed ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband & I went there last night for dinner. We shared the grilled Octopus, which was very tasty but a bit on the tough side. ( my husband said that they may not have started cooking it in COLD water. If you put it in warm or hot water it toughens)
Very nicely served though. I then ordered the pork chop with spaetzle. Again very tasty, but I thought the porkchop was TOO big ( I had to take half of it home) but the spaetzle was SOOO good & not the usual of just butter on it. It had some green veggies chopped into it. My husband enjoyed his salmon very much. Dessert, we also shared it was a lemon tart w mini marshmallows on top. Again, very tasty but the crust was a bit on the harder side ( I was afraid I would crack the dish trying to fork thru the crust.) There r NOT that many dishes to choose from though. They could add a couple of soups or fish & chips or chicken strips w fries . (More in keeping e being a PUB.) BUT, the food that was served was definitely not your usual "pub" fare. Tasty but some improvements needed

Maria C, Owner at The Dog & Cask, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Sounds like you had a pretty good time, Lindi! I'm sorry to hear the octopus and lemon tart weren't quite to your liking though. You should expect the octopus to be tender and flavorful and the crust on the tart to be slightly firm and flaky. I'm sorry they were neither of those things. That said, we've recently revamped our menu. I hope you'll give us another shot so you can try out some of our new menu items!

Hackensack, New Jersey
“New face lift still terrible personality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Ugghhh this place is just not good. We arrived with high hopes and looking to sample some great craft beers. We sat at the bar and it was a nice environment. On the board of the bar are the selections of beers on tap, and menus for bottled beer. The choices were extensive and the bartender had good knowledge of beers. The problems in this place are the menu, and the food. The menu is complete limited and it is food that doesnt go well with craft beers. They have limited choices and weird sides. My wife and I ordered the hamburger. Mine was w bacon an bleu cheese my side was crisp broccoli and my wife got a burger w parmesan fries. I got the broccoli to try something different. The burger was ok, but did fid a bone in the meat. The broccoli came and it was crisp aka burnt to a crisp. I was thinking browned but this was burnt. I can still taste it. My wife said hers was bland. They also didnt have options for toppings like regular mayo, egg, chipotle, or mustard. This place will close due to poor location and poor menu. Make the name change too! Dog and Cask? This place gets a D and if you are local dont waste your time, head down to Miller house