“Great Find” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Pompton Plains
“Great Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I found this restaurant through a friend - and I am very pleased. Have gone there a few times & it just keeps getting better. All of the portions are large & the quality is superb. The soups are not greasy. The shrimps & scallops are fresh & not overcooked or rubbery. The waitress is very helpful & willing to make substitutions.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Highland Lakes, New Jersey
“No Frills Chinese. OK Food. Could Be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have taken food out occasionally from Precious Chinese in Riverdale, NJ, but last week, decided to sit down for lunch. My server brought a menu, but no crispy noodles, no duck sauce, no hot mustard, and no tea, amenities that are almost always present in any Chinese restaurant in which I have eaten. When I asked why I didn't get these little niceties, the server responded, but I couldn't understand what she said. I maintain that people who come to this country to live and work should learn our language adequately so they can be understood.

And I didn't even get a fortune cookie when finished. What's up with that?

I ordered shrimp with black bean sauce, very hot and spicy. The dish was anything but. It was pretty bland, and the brown sauce was gloppy and thick. It tasted alright, but was nothing to write home about. I've had much better Chinese.

When I was done, I went to the men's room, and discovered that it was very shabby and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. They could do much better in the cleanliness area. The restaurant's decor is decidedly old hat, no frills, and could use a facelift as well.

I have a much better Chinese restaurant I can go to in the area when in the mood for Asian. I think Precious has seen the last of me. The best rating I can give Precious is average, and that's being generous.

• Visited November 2012