“Beautiful Historic Castle” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ringwood
Hampton, Virginia
“Beautiful Historic Castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I am writing from my room in the castle as we speak and the place is amazing. It has a very historic, rustic, gothic feel to it and I love it... They go all out with original artwork, antique furniture, etc and you feel like a millionaire even if only for one night... The area around the castle is also very beautiful with a lot of gardens and trails.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a private bathroom, it may cost a little less, but I think some of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Hotel Website-mis-leading! Does not reflect the true conditions of this hotel

The place was a run down and the rooms were not all that clean. On the main entrace there is shed full of old tools and garbage.

The place is located in a beautiful area, but it is so run down that it looks creepy. This place is by no mean romantic and I will never recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ringwood hotels

Arlington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed at the Skylands Manor in an effort to break up our trip from DC to Vermont. The castle was lovely and the staff very accomodating. We booked a less expensive room but were upgraded since the Manor was not full. Our room was very nice, the decor very elegant. The only reason I am not able to give this place 5 stars is b.c the shower in our room was nothing more than a trickle, no pressure at all. We alerted a staff member to this and he said he planned to check it out, we were only there one night but I am sure if we had been there another night it would have been fixed by the next morning.

There are no restaurants or outlets in the manor so make sure you arrange for your meals (other than breakfast, they do provide that) and any refreshments. There is not much in town as far as dining, we ate at a place called Prime, it was fine but nothing to write home about. You are not far from the city though so I am sure if you went a few extra miles in any direction you could find some nice places to eat.

The next morning we took a look around the grounds, despite the fact that none of the trees or plants have really flowered yet is was very nice and the views were quite lovely.

I realize this is a large wedding/special event venue and I am sure they do a great job, again, the staff was very helpful and pleasant so I am positive they would put on a great show for any occasion.

Room Tip: Several of the rooms have shared bathrooms so if you are like me and want a private bath you need to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

My partner and I attended a wedding at the the manor and stayed overnight. First - the manor is wonderful and amazing. I had known and visited Ringwood State Park and Skylands as a child and always was in love with the manor. I remember what it was like when the state took over from the school. I spent many summer days running and bike riding on the grounds. Our current stay was very good. We rented a room with a private bathroom and we have no complaints about the room. This is an old house that has had a worn history and now is in renovated glory.
Yes, the parking lot is not by the manor- but my reservation clearly said to pull up to the door, check in, unload your luggage and then park.
The wedding was wonderful and no complaints about the service. Food was good - not extraordinary, but good. It was a high end selection - filet, salmon and chicken as dinner choices. My partner said the filet was good - I felt the salmon was over cooked. But this is to be expected serving 100+ ppl.
My only question and the reason I would not go over board with the B & B label was the Breakfast.
I have thought about this - maybe because we were part of the only event, but we paid fully for our room - this could not be considered as part of the wedding package. For the price we paid I expected a better breakfast - as advertised on the B&B site.
Breakfast was coffee, tea, cocoa, juices - orange and cranberry. Packaged oatmeal - bowls and hot water provided. Mini muffins and danishes that anyone can purchase at a grocery/costco. The 'hot' portion was a tureen of scrambled eggs and another of bacon. After a 5 -6 hour event the night before, I expected a bit more then a slightly upgraded continental for those of us that had paid full price for a room.
When I read other reviews the breakfast seems to vary and not be consistant. Something to be aware of.
Checkout was 10:30am sharp - I heard a fellow guest say in the parking lot- can we go eat now?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

The building is beautiful but the inside needs to be sponsored so that is becomes either a museum a hotel or a catering rental space with elegance. It is worth seeing and small children could make it through the tour. The gardens and grounds are well worth seeing as an under discovered treasure of New Jersey.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Middletown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

The castle was beautiful and it was a great price. We went in February so there were no events going on. We did have to park a bit away and I will warn you the road up is terrible. But once we entered it was really stunning. They told us that the King Alfred Suite hadn't been rented for the night and they upgraded us for free which was a wonderful surprise. I wish there had been any form of entertainment or any food in the area, but we drove all around and there was really nothing so I would suggest eating before you go. The room was amazing though. I loved the style and it was huge. A living room, bedroom, bathroom, and hall full of closets. The biggest suite I have ever stayed at by far. I really enjoyed my trip. Although there was no dinner available there, I was happy they had breakfast out for us. They also came around and offered to cook anything we'd like but we had so much already I couldn't eat anymore. I have since visited in the spring and I will say the grounds are beautiful in spring/summer. You can't see much in Winter, but it is quieter and you might be able to actually find a room in winter, otherwise it is pretty booked up. I would recommend this place and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night, 05/16/10. The castle is very regal and beautiful and the grounds could not have been more perfect. Due to circumstances, we had to change were we were going to stay on our wedding night to get closer to the airport because our flight to Jamaica the next morning changed by a few hours. This was a blessing in disguise because we loved it here could not imagine a more beautiful place as a whole.The caretaker we dealt with was extremely helpful. Got us a Benz to the airport at a great price. In rebuttal to the poor reviews of being "creepy". This is a 100+ year old building with yes some dark hallways, big old fireplaces, stained glass windows and carved wood details surrounded by gorgeous botanical gardens. If you enjoy and are inspired by old architecture and ornate detailing, you will love it here. If you want clean,modern,sleek accommodations go somewhere else. but we loved The castle at Skylands Manor.

Room Tip: view the webste
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Castle at Skylands Manor? Share your experiences!