“This is not real Thai food.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 102 Restaurants in Ridgewood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Milan, Italy
“This is not real Thai food.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is small and cozy. The food tough is not that good. Shrimp appetizer was frozen food fried, below expectation. Thai fried rice was overcooked and melty, I have been in Thailand and in other Thai restaurant and I can guarantee this is not Thai food in my opinion. It's quite cheap but I will never come back because quality is too low.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

New York
“Best Thai in Ridgewood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I love Thai food, lets just put that out there. This restaurant did the dishes right! They werent too saucy, or too salty, and are noted as having the best thai (however i didnt have enough room in my belly to try that). I had the chicken stir fry in garlic sauce (amazing), the pad see eww with chicken as well and the noodles and sauce on this was perfection! I also tried the papaya salad, which I get at all thai restaurants and the portion on this was huge! Spicy as it should be and fresh as well. I ordered the beef soup too that said it was spicy, but it really was not. The thai tea was delicious and the prices were good. The decor was very "manhattan" style so it was nice to see in a small city like Ridgewood! The waitress was not the friendliest but i'm moreso commenting on the food that was ordered. My new favorite!! Good date spot for couples in the area.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
tenafly, new jersey
“Don't Bother!!! They Do Not Care About Customers!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Went with a friend on a beautiful afternoon - Yelp said Lunch was served till 4 pm - we arrived at about 3:15 no one in the place - completely empty. Waitresses looked annoyed - they said sit anywhere. I asked if we could take a middle table so we could both see out the window - she barked NO...kitchen staff sits here for lunch now. I said but no one is here and we would like to see outside. She said no. We agreed to sit near the window. When we sat down she slammed the menus down in front of us - my friend got very annoyed and said pls. give me back my wine bottle we are leaving. She said OK fine. I said I will write about your poor attitude online - she said GO AHEAD! GOOD BYE. This place needs new waitstaff - what an awful attitude to have in an empty restaurant! We walked to Malee Thai near the railroad station - what a difference - empty but charming hostess who said pls. sit anyplace you like and i will ask if chef will still serve you lunch menu (altho it had ended an hour earlier) - they gave us lunch menu and were all smiles! We will go back to Malee Thai NOT RIDGEWOOD THAI!!! Who needs that poor attitude I am sure the owner would be very annoyed!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey
“Nicely prepared quality food at Ridgewood Thai”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

One of the best things about Thai food as opposed to what is served at the typical and numerous Chinese restaurants in the area is that you can actually taste the ingredients in the food that you are ordering. Many Chinese restaurants tend to over-sauce their food, making entrees sometimes indistinguishable from one another. Once you try Thai food, ordering Chinese take-out might take a back seat provided that you are adventurous enough to entertain some different spice sensations such as an assortment of curries, chili paste, lemon grass, etc.

My wife and I have taken out and dined at Ridgewood Thai many times including just recently. The food here is good and you can actually taste the vegetables, meats, seafood and other ingredients in the dishes. The sauces and spices don't over power the food. Even the entrees that are stated on the menu to be hot and spicy are not so. If you like some heat in your food, then let the service staff know. A favorite dish of ours to split as an appetizer is the Hai Lum, which is available with chicken, beef or pork. We always get it with chicken. It consists of stir-fried flat rice noodles with egg and sauteed in sesame oil. My personal favorite dish is the Golden Nest, which is stir-fried chicken with chilli-garlic paste, cashew nuts, pinapple chunks, carrots, onion, pepper & celery served in a crispy golden nest, which I think is made of rice. Order it "spicy" if you want a little "kick" to it. Friends and family that I recommended this dish to loved it!

If you are ordering take-out from this restaurant, no problem. If you plan on dining there, it's a very small place. So, call ahead for reservations, especially on weekends. It's also BYOB. The menu is fairly extensive with lots of different selections to choose from.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paramus, New Jersey
“still great food .....but........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food there is still worth the wait, it is very authentic and the portions are decent but it definitely is not the place to take a large group. The waitresses there get frazzeld easily if a large group comes in. It is a very small restaurant. It is difficult to get their attention or one has to wait long to get something you have asked for. Two waitresses take care of the restaurant even on a friday or a saturday, that delays every table's turn around time. As a a result, those waiting for a table, despite making a reservation, have to wait for a while before being seated. I would go there on a weekday instead.

• Visited November 2012