“New Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Oakland, New Jersey
“New Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Diwani has replaced another Indian restaurant that was in the same location. The decor and ambiance are quiet and relaxing, and suitable for a business dinner or a romantic night out. The service was attentive and unobtrusive. On the plus side, all dishes I tasted were nicely flavored. The garlic naan was excellent, and the sauces on both a shrimp dish and salmon were very flavorful. Unfortunately, no one asked me how I liked my food spiced, and the heat level was virtually nonexistent (I like my food very hot). Both the shrimp and the salmon were overlooked and chewy. In spite of these flaws, I will go back to Diwani and give them another chance. It's BYOB, and the wine was excellent <g>.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Paramus, New Jersey
“Absolutely Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I visited Diwani with a Groupon deal for dinner for two with my father. Him and I are very much so passionate about Indian food and I must say this is one of the best Indian restaurants I have visited yet. The waiters and staff are very friendly and accommodating, the atmosphere is calm and cozy and of course the food is very flavorful and good. I ordered Chicken Tikka Masala (My favorite) and it was a very generous portion along with rice. We enjoyed our meal so much the first time we visited that we decided to visit them again for their lunch buffet which was EXCELLENT as well. I'm so glad I found this place and can't wait to go next!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paramus, New Jersey
“phenominal Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

So many different dishes to try. Not just curry, but all flavors. Brought people to the restaurant that are usually will not eat Indian food and they loved it. Priced well also. It is a BYO

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ridgewood, NJ
“Strongly flavor Indian food in the center of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Diwani has been opened a few months and took over the space of another well received Indian restaurant. It was time to visit on a recent Wednesday evening. The Interior had not changed greatly from the previous owner and there were only two other dinners at 6:15Pm, Nevertheless, we were immediately seated right next to the other couple though all the other tables were empty.

We started with a appetizer that I had not seen before: Samosa Chat. In essence, it was a few crispy samosa with potato stuffing covered in a chickpea type chat. The samosa was very flavorful in and of itself although the dough was very thick. The chat part was a fiery mixture of chickpeas, tomato and much chilli. Though very flavorful and forceful, it was possible only to have a few forkfuls.

The main course was a Goat Rogan Josh and the Peshawari Chole. Both were exceeding spicy and forcefully flavored though we had not asked to have the fire turned up. The Goat was very full flavored as goat should be but it was also very chewy which can be expect if it not slowly cooked. The dominant tomato base with the spices was enjoyable but showed a pretty heavy hand. The Peshawari, the chick pea, potato and spices was again heavy handed and very similar to the Chat.

A whole wheat bread (lachha paratha) helped to cool off some of the dishes.

The mango lassi as well helped to cool off the tongue. The lassi was not especially cold or frothy but had a smooth fruity flavor.

The menu has four dessert which our server was kind enough to describe in detail. We choose the Kheer - a small dish of smooth rice pudding with the expected hint of cardamon.

All in all the flavors are intense for the dishes we tried. They have a buffet each day and that may allow us to try a wider range of dishes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
new jersey
“Tasty!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am Indian and the food at Diwani restaurant was fantastic! I try and find decent Indian restaurants and this place was clean and the service was really good. We were 6 of us on a Tuesday night celebrating my brother's birthday. The lamb seekh kebab was really good. The portions were pretty big and we ended up taking a lot of food home.

We will be back!