“Unpleasant experience” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Denville, New Jersey
“Unpleasant experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Food was very good, wait staff friendly, but unfortunately the management were almost hostile and turned what would have been a pleasant and happy evening into a very unpleasant experience.
We had a Groupon (with no excluded dates listed) and were informed that they had arbitrarily decided that morning not to accept them that day... I had presented it after being seated and the owner was almost condescending in his approach to us. In speaking with other couples I found that they had equally unexpected and unhappy expereinces with the owners.
Our food also did take a while to arrive....
We certainly will never return to this place and I would recommend others to be careful and/or avoid.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
“Better Than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Based on recent past reviews we were not expecting much and only dined there to use an about to expire Groupon certificate. The service was quite satisfactory (prompt, but not personable), but this was a Monday night and the restaurant was only about 1/4 full (we avoid when we can dining out in this area on Friday and Saturday evenings). The food was quite good and we would recommend it. However, on the ala carte menu it is quite pricey, right up there with 2 more upscale restaurants, one down the street and the other just around the corner. The one item that really impressed me is that their starch was well roasted potatoes. I just cannot understand why so many fine (and not so fine) restaurants in the area offer mashed potatoes. Spooning a glob of mashed potatoes in my opinion is the sign of a restaurant who just cannot be bothered (sorry MP lovers!). The Prix Fixe menu appeared very cost-effective but the choices were limiting. I was also VERY impressed that they did not automatically tack on an automatic 18-20% tip but did show on the check what the full price of the dinner would have been if I did not use the Group cert - so I could base my tip on that.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
new york
“overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

we had a 7:00 reservation and they were a good 20 minutes behind schedule. At least 2 or 3 reservations left before seated. The front of the house is not managed well. We finally sat down and it took at least 30 minutes to order. We only saw our waiter twice throughout the night. My salad was very good but the John Dory was overcooked and had no taste. I actually left the plate with half the fish left. My wife had the filet which was well done when she asked for medium rare. I would say for the price, service and tight quarters it was disappointing. EE

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boynton Beach, Florida
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had been to Pearl one other time before they expanded. Apparently they have bitten off more than they can chew. First, the service was horrible. This did not make sense as we had a 6PM reservation and the place was more than half empty. The waiter opened our wine, took our order, and disappeared for the rest of the night. He only came over one time when the meal was in front of us, not brought out by him, at which time he said enjoy your entree. Oh, I forgot to mention that it took 50 minutes to get the entree after our Caesar salad. The entrees were snapper and linguini with clams, both underwhelming. As for the time between salad and entree, that definitely seemed to be the norm. We watch several tables that were seated before and after us and no table was getting their meals in a reasonable period of time. I blame this on a very small kitchen that support a one store front operation. With the expansion to two, it has deteriorated. Then again, the place was not crowded. I would hate to be there if the place was close to capacity. At approx $27 per entree there are a lot better places to eat in Ridgewood. I also need to add that the tables are on top of each other. No privacy whatsoever. We will not be back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Could have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived 10 minutes early for our reservation and were told that because people with earlier reservations had arrived over 30 minutes late, we would not be seated for at least that amount of time. Now for the multi car pile-up: many patrons, with the same reservation time as us showed up and, as there is no place for anyone to wait, we are all standing uncomfortably close to tables where people were trying to eat their meals. Some people left (one group of four was seated at at a table in the midst of the standees, but left after five minutes of the chaos that was created by the establishment). But, my wife and I decided, perhaps mainly because it was a cold night and we did not want to try finding another restaurant unless we had to, to wait to see if something opened up sooner than expected. We were seated after twenty minutes.

Considering how busy the restaurant was, the fact that we waited another ten minutes for anyone to open our wine, and bring us menus, was acceptable. However, what is not acceptable is our waiter taking our order then not to be seen again until he brought the check. Had he done his job, we would have told him that the arugula salad with Granny Smith apples was one of the best salads we had ever had. I would have further told him that our entrees came out almost warm. The food, brought out by a busboy, was tasty, but left in the kitchen, waiting for our waiter too long.

Considering how expensive this restaurant is, the portions were quite small, and the service left a lot to be desired.