“"Much better than reviews indicate!!"” 5 of 5 stars

Molly Pitcher Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   88 Riverside Ave, Red Bank, NJ 07701   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Red Bank
new jersey
“"Much better than reviews indicate!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

Where do I start? I stayed at the Molly Pitcher last week and had one of the best experiences ever. I was hesitant and did not know what to expect after reading many mixed reviews, but I can tell you that the property is much better than past reviews indicate. The service was great - the bellman/doorman was very helpful from the time I pulled up to the hotel. Valet parking is complimentary, and was very helpful as we were late for a wedding. We had a great room on the lower level; past reviews have called this the basement - but what they neglected to write was that these "basement rooms" overlook the pool and Navesink River! Very relaxing atmosphere! I could not say enough about the service and food - Everyone was a pleasure to deal with. I would HIGHLY recommend this property to others planning on visiting the Red Bank area!!!

• Liked — Service, food, view, etc.....
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Visited the Inn during an off-season period earlier in 2008. Found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, allowing us to see several rooms before we chose which we preferred. Our room in the main inn was small but very clean.

We took advantage of the “fixed price” dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed the food and the service. Good location for visiting the Red Bank shops and antique galleries.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

My husband and I made reservations at the Molly Pitcher Inn, using their own website. We printed out the confirmation with a confirmation number. In addition to our confirmation, we had an email from the Reservations Manager confirming our upcoming stay sent to us three days before our arrival date.

We drove seven hours from Vermont on the day we were supposed to check in and when we arrived they said, "Our reservation was not in their computer." Two confirmations and we were "NOT IN THEIR COMPUTER"!

It was obvious to us they had overbooked a group for a conference and that we were not important enough, so they gave our room to someone attending the confierence.

They offered us a room at their "sister hotel" which is in need of updating to say the least. No one seemed remotely sympathetic that we had driven seven hours from Vermont, nor did they have an explanation other than, "this has never happened before."

If anyone bothers to make a reseveration at this hotel, keep in mind that your confirmation means nothing to these people, especially if they have a large corporate group booked at the same time.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Red Bank hotels

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2008

We stayed here for one night during our honeymoon, on our way to Atlantic City. The property itself is beautiful. As twenty-something's in shorts and t-shirts, we felt a touch out of place in the fancy lobby area. We found the room to be quite small and there was an odd smell in the room as well. However, we were quite pleased with the gorgeous view of the river. We thought it would be a perfect place to dock a boat, to come in and enjoy the poolside and the bar. Lovely hotel, just very small room for the price.

• Liked — Beautiful view!
  • Disliked — The bed did not appear to have had it's sheets changed.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Ate here for my husbands birthday. The hotel itself is cute (not somewhere we would stay since we are from the area and rooms are closet sized). The lobby is nicely decorated and the dinning room hostess was pleasant. We requested a window seat and the view of the Navesink River was absolutely beautiful. Our server Mike was very knowledgeable of the menu and the wine list and suggested our appetizers, we weren't impressed with the clams but the bacon wrapped shrimp over noodles was delicious. The entrees were reasonably priced, ranging from $23 to $39. My husband enjoyed his panned seared scallops and their signature dish the Molly Pitcher seafood pot pie was really the best I have had! Dessert was good, not excellent but very good..we had their trio creme brulee. My husband wasn't impressed with the limited selection of fine scotches (they didn't carry McLellan 21) but overall good dessert. The presentation of the food was nicely executed, delicious, and the service couldn't be beat. Please be aware gentlemen must wear a jacket in the dinning room after 5pm.We saw some yuppie come in without a jacket and they kindly escorted him to the front desk where he borrowed a jacket that didn't fit him..haha. Rules are rules doesn't matter how wealthy you think you are. The atmosphere is quiet and just a nice dinner for a couple.Would highly recommend.

Clarksburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

My wife and I were planning a week long trip to the Jersey Shore and wanted a comfortable hotel with plenty of amenities. We did some research and, based on it's description and photographs, settled on the Molly Pitcher Inn. It offers valet service, in room dining, a pool, it's own restaurant, and beautiful views. We paid $900 for five week nights.

When we arrived, we were shocked to discover that our standard room on the fourth floor was only 8 x 14 with a small bathroom. This isn't much space for two people and a week's worth of luggage. Our tiny room didn't even have a mini-fridge or microwave, so we weren't able to bring restaurant food back to the room to store or re-heat it. I found this rather surprising as the $100 a night Best Western we stayed in the previous night featured a full living room, bedroom and bathroom, as well as a sizeable refrigerator and full size microwave.

I went back to the front desk to discuss changing rooms and was repeatedly met with the offer to be put in a room with a larger bed or two double beds. I explained that the bed wasn't the problem, the small room was the issue... and that couldn't be changed.

Speaking of the bed, it was rock hard and came with four HALF PILLOWS! That's right... half pillows.

To make matters worse, the elevator at the Molly Pitcher stops at the third floor, which forced us to walk an extra flight of steps and carry our bags up and down all week.

One other issue which became more frustrating with each passing day was the cable TV. The Molly Pitcher Inn offers 32 channels... three of which are HBO!

The Molly Pitcher is beautiful, but for $200 a night, I expected to stay in a reasonably sized room with a full cable hook up. I also didn't expect to have to spend the week storing food and drinks in a cooler at the foot of the bed.

If you're looking in this price range and comfort is important to you, then you'll want to find another place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Size
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
agreene926, Rooms Division Manager at Molly Pitcher Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear Raydo,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Molly Pitcher Inn. I am disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. We strive to provide the utmost in service and accommodations and I am sorry we failed to do so during your stay.

The Molly Pitcher Inn was built in 1928 and is quite an historic landmark in Red Bank. Our owners have taken great pride in preserving the historical integrity of the building and our rooms, therefore, are of their original size which is small by today's standards. We do have rooms of various sizes in the hotel, and perhaps a room in our Navesink Wing would have been more suitable for you. I am sorry we were not able to accommodate your request for a larger room at the time (our larger rooms do have Kind size beds in them versus the Queens in our standard rooms).

Regarding our television selection, we are aware that we do not offer very many channels and are working on changing our television options once our current contract runs out with our provider. We thank you for your patience while we work to improve this service to our guests.

We do provide small refrigerators upon request for a one-time $15 fee. Unfortunately our rooms are too small to provide one in every room, and the electrical capacity of such an old building is also prohibitive of placing a small fridge in every room. This is something to consider for future upgrades.

Thank you again for staying with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be of any further assistance. In the interim I remain, as always, at your service.

Warmest Regards,
Amy Greene
Rooms Division Manager
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was apprehensive about staying at this hotel after reading the previous reviews. I was booked here by a coworker for a business meeting. I was plesantly surprised about the overall stay.

The rate was affordable ($139/night in prime season for large room). I did hear that some of the rooms were very small, but I stayed in the Navesink King and was very pleased with the size of the room. Hotel seems to be somewhat recently renovated. Not a lot of work room if traveling for business, but I used the desk just fine. Hotel does have free wireless internet. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Walls are a bit thin...neighboring room complained about my TV.

I found the front desk staff to be helpful and friendly. I did not eat there, but I had a drink in the lounge and it was very nice. Be advised that the dining room is jacket-required for men. I heard some guests saying they were unprepared for that.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Molly Pitcher Inn? Share your experiences!