“great rooms, terrible restaurant staff” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Carriage City Plaza, Rahway, NJ 07065   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rahway
Boston, Massachusetts
“great rooms, terrible restaurant staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed at Hotel Indigos before so I couldn't wait to stay at this one. I travel to NY often so I am on the prowl for my go to place when I come in town. I LOVE hardwood floors and I think that the Indigo's room are exquisite. They are some of the best rooms in the business. I was greeted by a friendly and upbeat person at the front desk. My experience in the hotel restaurant that evening was beyond disappointing and unfortunately will be the lasting memory of the hotel. The staff were polite but inappropriate. Calling them unprofessional would be an understatement. I say this with years of management and experience as a server under my belt. Two wait staff were fighting over who would take my table. One of the servers looked like he had slept in his clothes. It felt like I was in the middle of an SNL sketch! The next morning I asked the front desk for recommendations for breakfast. She suggested two places within walking distance. One of the places was closed but I peered inside and it looked like a filthy bodega. The second place was a local breakfast, fast food type place. In short, I was surprised that the hotel would send people to these subpar establishments. I ended up driving about 4 miles to an awesome diner. On my final day there I had to leave very early so I decided to give the restaurant another try (after having checked to make sure that none of the night staff carried over.) My server was much more professional and friendly. I ordered something from the menu that had cheese in but when my food came, there was no cheese. When I inquired I was told, "we're all out of cheese." It would have been nice for someone to inform me of this BEFORE my order. At any rate, I would return to the Indigo solely because of its location and only if I was in a bind. If you decide to check it out, I would avoid the restaurant at all costs. It was a joke.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Lauren F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hello SoulScholar,

We know how important it is for you to feel comfortable and at home when you come to visit Hotel Indigo. I'm sorry to hear that our restaurant staff gave you a bad impression of our hotel. I am happy to let you know that we have a new Restaurant Manager and executive chef, and we will be redoing our menus for the new year very soon. I hope that you will give us another chance to see how we can really shine and taste our new offerings.

Thanks for taking the time to write and share your experience with us, and please let me know when you are in the area again. You can reach me at lauren.friedman@hotelindigorahway.com.

We hope to see you soon,
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Falkirk,Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is perfect for visiting NY and Philadelphia on a budget! The hotel picks up and drops off free from Newark Liberty Airport. The rooms are very large, clean and comfortable. There is free wifi and access to two computers too. The hotel is opposite Rahway train station with super regular service to Penn Station, NY (40 mins and $18 return) and also to Philly via Trenton Junction ($36 return and takes about one and a half hours). We took 3 nights in Boston using the Megabus service from fairly near Penn Station and the hotel happily looked after one of our bags. We are also being dropped of by the free hotel shuttle service at Jersey Gardens, a big outlet mall near Newark Airport, and they are picking us up, bringing our bags with them, and progressing on to the airport for our return flight! What service from a very inexpensive hotel! We would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We get a room at the back as we go to bed early and appreciate quiet!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lauren F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hi Dawn C,

Thanks for your great comments! It sounds like you really fully used our complimentary hotel shuttle to enhance your stay! I'm always so happy to hear from adventurous guests like yourself who really enjoy our location and the access you have to the surrounding area. We hope to see you again soon! Give us a call if you need a lift!

Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Good location if you need to get into the city as the train stop is right across the street. I was told you can also take the train from the airport right to the hotel but I was lucky enough to have a ride. Nice rooms, good service. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Hi Miss650,

Thanks for stopping by to comment on your stay with us. I'm glad you took advantage of our convenient location to the NJ Transit station to get into NYC to have some fun. For your next stay, call us in advance and we can provide you free transportation to and from EWR with our Hotel Shuttle.

Let us know if you need any recommendations for fun hot spots in New York for your next visit!
See you soon,

Exton, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed there just on my way to the airport. It is a nice hotel though some of the rooms are badly located (either facing a municipal parking lot or located meters from a huge chiller equipped with two noisy fans (room 427 for example). Breakfast was VERY poor and not worth the money spent. I am also not sure that the photos of the lobby represent the reality.
All of this would have been tolerable if the staff was friendly. the problem was that the staff we have encountered was all but that. When we checked in we specifically asked for a QUIET room as I was planning to work for some time. We received room 427. It was very noisy as the two fans of the chiller were working (see pict.). Coming back to reception, the lady at the desk lost all of her fake smile as well as politeness. She sent us to a room where one could not open the window. We came back to the front desk and now she looked as if dungeon is our next station. She claimed all windows of the hotel cannot be opened and practically sent us to hell. We would have gone by now but the room was pre-paid (~200 USD including taxes, over paid anyway you look at this deal). We went out of the hotel, just to see that despite the chilly weather at least 10 windows were open. Is lying a good policy in Rahway?! No one was willing to help us. We asked for a room with a window that can be opened as my wife is Claustrophobic, the hotel was far from being fully occupied and the lady at the front desk simply refused to help us locate a room with a window that can be opened. We were forced to decide between a room with a window that cannot be opened and a noisy room. Chose the noisy one.
All in all, we had the first and last visit to an Indigo hotel. Was this worthy to the hotel chain? I am sure not. I travel a lot and will NEVER use this chain.

Room Tip: Avoid room 427 unless you are in for a window...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Hello Joe,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us here in Rahway. I did want to clear up the incident you experienced over the windows. As you may have noticed, we also have residential space above the hotel rooms. Those residents do have the ability to open their windows, which may be what you saw. Our hotel room windows cannot open due to various safety reasons.

I would love if you would give us another chance to show you our hospitality and improved service. Please feel free to contact me at Lauren.Friedman@hotelindigorahway.com and we will make sure you are taken care of.

Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Rahway hotels

Shoreline, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Chef Gerald and his staff at the Aria restaurant in the Hotel Indigo went the extra mile to ensure that our group had a good experience. Even though it meant keeping his serving staff late, he cooked for us, knowing that we could easily have found food at a local restaurant. When people like Gerald try this hard, one would have to be callous not to express thanks in some way, hence this review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lauren F, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Hello JuDaSm,

I am loving this review about our Aria Bistro and Bar! It is always a goal of ours to go the extra mile for our guests, and I’m glad Chef Gerald was able to show you what service is all about! Feel free to come on back for a drink or an appetizer, or join us for our new Karaoke event on Friday nights!

See you soon,

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I've stayed there 5+ weeks this year and it's always been a good experience. Staff is super friendly, my room was always spotless when returning from work. They even neatly arranged my toiletries on the bathroom counter. It's about 200 ft to the train which puts you at Penn Station NY in 25 min. It's surrounded by Cuban, Portuguese, Pizza, etc restaurants all within walking distance. I have not one complaint about the place. I was even able to leave the company truck in the parking garage for a week at a time while i returned home to visit. Only hotel I'll go back to while in the NJ/NYC area. I was mostly there for work, but when I brought the GF they treated her as an extension of me and it was fantastic. It'll be even better when there is actually a "skyview"..

Room Tip: Rooms facing the train station are still plenty quiet and it's kind of cool to see the trains ru...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hi Jason H,

What an awesome review! We have a lot of repeat guests like yourself and it is always nice to see your familiar faces whenever you visit. As you have experienced, the NJ Transit is a great way to escape to NYC even if you are staying for business purposes. Or, as you also mentioned, there is plenty to do in the local area as well. On your next visit you and your girlfriend should try to catch a performance at the newly completed Hamilton Stage just a few blocks from us!

Looking forward to your next visit,

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights in August 2012 as part of a business trip. The hotel itself is very nice with good size rooms and is very clean also. The breakfasts were ok (nothing amazing) but the menu for the restaurant in the evening is a little limited. The staff were helpful (if sometimes a little gruff) but the shuttle bus service was very good and I used it a number of times. It is also well loceted for the NJ Transit (right opposite) so it is easy to get trains into NYC. The only minor drawback on that is sometimes hearing the trains in the night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello JonFlemming,

Thank you for your review and constructive comments about our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve service and the guest experience, and it is helpful to hear our strengths and our weaknesses. I know that after your next trip you’ll see all the improvements we have made!

Thanks again and hope to see you soon!

Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Indigo Skyview Rahway? Share your experiences!