“Service is Job #1 at this nicely renovated property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast and Wi-Fi!
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Philadelphia
“Service is Job #1 at this nicely renovated property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The building has been around 40 years or more, but you would never know that. The property has been renovated from end to end. The location is on Route One north of the Princeton. There is nothing else within walking distance.

My personal highlight of the stay was the service provided by the staff. Whenever anything was requested they responded quickly. Everyone is helpful and well trained. The meeting rooms are very flexible and can accommodate all kinds of events.

The breakfast area offers buffet and menu options. The buffet price is $16 which is typical for this high cost area. Breakfast food was good. The bar staff was good at meeting our needs and quick to serve. They stayed late for some in our group.

Sleeping rooms have an excellent desk, good lighting and new furniture. I found the beds firm in a good way. Everything was in working order.

This hotel would be excellent for business travelers, families and meeting planners.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, October 23, 2010
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and of course I'm delighted that you enjoyed our friendly and caring staff. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I was in town for a wedding and needed a hotel in Princeton. I decided to try Priceline and bid for the highest rated hotels available at 3.5 stars. The Double Tree accepted my bid for $60. When I arrived at the check in desk, I was told that I could only get a smoking room because the hotel was full. I am allergic to smoke and notified the staff who dismissed my health concerns. I would have gone to another hotel, but I needed to shower, change and get to the wedding pronto. The room had a disgustingly smoky smell. To top it off, I found two live stink bugs in my room. I immediately called down to the front desk who told me it was of no concern because they frequently get bugs in the room and can’t control them. Only if there are 5 or 6 bugs in the room will they switch you. I demanded to be switched and was placed in an even smokier room. Absolutely nasty. I demanded to speak to the manager who then told me that since I booked via Priceline, the only room she could give me was a smoking room. She then called up 5 minutes later and switched me to a non smoking room. This one had a toilet that ran all night long but at least there was no smoke smell and no bugs in this room. I was unfortunately late to the wedding. When I returned at night, the parking lot was not full at all. They clearly had non smoking rooms available but didn’t want to give them to Priceline customers. The hotel staff was very rude, the rooms were not clean and were very outdated. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Like the reviewer before me said, the only good thing about this hotel were the cookies when you checked in.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your observations and opinions. I’m sorry that you were less than completely satisfied with your stay, and that we were unable to grant your request for a non-smoking room as you mentioned. I certainly understand your preference, and we are addressing this issue by converting as many rooms as possible to non-smoking. The Box Elder bugs that you observed are an invasive species here in NJ with no natural predators. They are completely harmless and pose no health risk whatsoever. Although we make every possible effort, some do enter and I apologize for this inconvenience.

We do value your patronage and if you would please contact me when you travel plans include the Princeton area, it will be my pleasure to handle your reservation personally. Thank you again and I hope to speak with you soon.
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We're from the area, and planned a night here as a getaway from our small children. All we wanted to do was sleep, really. I thought I'd gotten a steal at $50 on Priceline, but this is a motel - $50 was all it was worth. Clientele - I would politely call it iffy. Room - yuck! Our room that we initially got was one double bed, a stained carpet, a CRT TV, dust on the scratched bureau, and hair on the bathroom floor and odd black crud in the tub. Not to say it was filthy, but I have high standards - we're not at a Motel 6, right? - and they were not met. The room we got switched to when we complained was clean, had two double beds and a flat screen tv, and faux granite in the bathroom, but otherwise was still sorely outdated. Beds were very uncomfortable. Not that it mattered, because a chambermaid walked in at 9:30am, and then started running the vacuum outside our door. I wanted to cry. The hotel front desk staff were very nice and gave me a $15 Target gift card at checkout to try to comp me, which was better than nothing, but good lord - I have a baby, and all I wanted to do was chill out and sleep, and that chance is gone. The cookies at checkin were the highlight of the trip, which is really sad; there were some nice Neutrogena toiletries, which were handy when I was trying to get alert in the shower after so little rest. I would have, and should have, paid way more to guarantee a peaceful time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your observations and opinions. I’m sorry that you were less than completely satisfied with your stay, and specifically the room condition and cleanliness issues that you mentioned. We are constantly working to improve our performance, and your feedback is very important and beneficial in that regard.

We do value your patronage and if you would please contact me I would very much appreciate the opportunity to rebuild your trust. Again my apologies and I hope to speak with you soon.
Roosevelt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Hotel was short trip of 15 minutes from Great Adventure. Made it a great place to stay after long park day and before returning back to Long Island drive of 2+ hours.

As HHonors member was not given an upgraded room due to no availability. Was given a food voucher for free breakfast and free appetizer as a substitute. However, they put an incorrect date for the free appetizer. Luckily, the restaurant manager was helpful and gave us free drinks of water and juice to compensate.

Room was good and breakfast was ok. The buffet was ok, but it lacked variety and waffles were dry and tough. Glad it was free.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback, and I will be certain to share your comments about the breakfast buffet with our food and beverage team. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area.
Elizabeth, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed here for one night. It was my first time at a Doubletree hotel, and I was very impressed. They gave us warm cookies at check in, and fruit salad in our room. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean. The location is great, and easy to get to. I look forward to staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, August 16, 2010
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Of course we're delighted that you had a pleasant stay and we appreciate your positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travel plans include the Princeton, NJ area. If you would please contact me at that time, it would be my pleasure to handle your reservation personally.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

The a/c unit was so loud that every time it would cycle on throughout the night it kept us up. We would sleep when the unit went off, then it would cycle back on and wake the room. We couldn't turn it off, the room would get too hot. It was a brutal night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really do appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry that you were disturbed by the air conditioning unit. These units were all replaced as part of our complete renovation, so I can only assume that the one in your room is defective in some way. I realize this doesn't change the quality of your stay, but if you would share your room number with me I'd appreciate that information. We value your patronage and if you would please contact me whenever your travel plans include the Princeton area it would be my pleasure to handle your reservation personally. Thank you again for your time.
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone ever! I booked through travelocity 6 rooms to travel from ny to princeton to celebrate my 4 year old sons birthday at the hotel with extended family(15 of us) and spend the days at sesame place because its convenient travel to and from. at check in we arrived late anyways and were told our rooms were still not cleaned yet and needed to wait almost 45 min. staff during check in were friendly(daytime) and 1st night went without incident though the hotel wasnt what we expected from online videos etc. i booked a king bed for my room with a pullout sleeper for the baby. my bed was actually a queen but we managed, the pool was smaller than expected as well and overcrowded and too hot for july weather it was like a hot bathtub! the front end manager held the cake for us in the resteraunt which was helpful as we werent cutting the cake till the next day. we picked up the cake around 6 pm and told the manager we planned to go to dinner and then up to one of the rooms and sing happy birthday cut a cake and let the baby open his gifts then disperse back to our own rooms he said no problem, when we returned from dinner all 15 of us we were gauked at by the front desk quietly headed upstairs and within 10 seconds there was a knock on the door from a indian man who worked at the hotel and he was extremely rude threatening that we all needed to disperse back to our assigned rooms or police would be called! we were in shock as were all registered in the hotel and had prior permission. we asked who he was and why we couldnt be together as a family for a quick happy birthday and cake he said someone had complained yet wouldnt explain the nature of the complaint and got louder and ruder and i said i wanted a manager immediately. 1st he said there was no manager which was b.s. then he said he was the manager and it seemed fishy so we said we wanted to speak to the front desk, he got into my husbands face yelling at him(very unprofessional) in front of our whole family and started pushing us out of the room saying we couldnt have 5 min to just sing to the baby causing my son to cry histerically. as we were waiting for the elevator the man ran down 4 flights of stairs and beat us to the desk and acted as if we were crazy and nothing extreme happened! the woman told me he wasnt a manager nor was herself but failed to provide me with one either just stating hes following hotel policy which is hard to believe. mind u while all this is going on there is a group of fraternity white boys dribbling basketballs down the hallway 11at night and you could also smell marijuana comming from an ajoining hotel room filled with teens from quebec but thats unnoticible lets harass the hispanic family! i told them i was calling corperate upon leaving and filing a complaint for harassment and discrimination as well as disorderly conduct which i did today and am pending outcome hopefully with disciplinary action and maybe if im lucky at least a partial refund. the hyatt regency down the street is much nicer and around the same price range the people there are very helpful and the amenities are outstanding skip the double tree and book there down the road. unless your white and wearing a buisness suit traveling alone dont stay here! not kid friendly not people friendly food is terrible in the resturant and the night staff are extremely disrespectful. parking is free but also inconvenient at night time as the hotel entrence is in the front and you more than likely will get stuck parking all the way in the back. no vending machines on any floors just ice and cafe/gift shop in lobby is overpriced. rooms have molded ceilings in the closets and their heating/cooling system is complicated and unaccurate. the lobby is small and theres very limited seating. no hotel security and limited cameras only in common downstairs areas beds were comfortable i must say but tvs were old and all the channels were either buisness news or sports with one cartoon channel and HBO thats it! i was highly disappointed being this hotel is owned by the hilton chain and ive always had great experiences before. do not travel in groups or large numbers of ppl or children matter of fact just dont travel there at all!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
PCTDT-GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry that you were less than completely satisfied with your stay, and I appreciate you taking the time to detail your concerns. Based on my investigation of your complaint, I can only say that we have a difference of opinion on what caused the situation you described. Nonetheless, your feedback is valuable and I will endeavor to make the best possible use of it in the day to day operation of the hotel. Thank you again for your time and safe travels.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Princeton? Share your experiences!