“Historic and Quaint!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
Minneapolis
“Historic and Quaint!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I read the past review from the guest who stayed on 4/04/09 and although everyone is entitled to the opinion, I have to differ. I stayed at the hotel twice in the past two months and both times my experince went flawless. When you are choosing a location to stay in Princeton you have two options, stay out on Rte 1, maybe pay a little less(although I only paid $169.00) but have nothing around you to do and worry about having to commute into downtown, or you can stay at the Nassau Inn and be downtown with everything within walking distance. The room I stayed in was quite sufficient, it had two beds, spacious, and the heater worked fine for me. I'm sure all rooms are different but both times my rooms were nice. In regards to meals, I ate breakfast both mornings before I left for meetings and they were both excellent, I had made to order omelets each morning, both came out quickly and tasted wonderful so I don't know what was wrong with the past guest. Being in a downtown location you will have to understand that there will be trucks and traffic, I just turned the heater on and it drowned out the noise from the vehicles(no different than having a room in NYC). The staff went out of their way to ask me each morning how I was doing and when I checked out a gentleman named Nick helped me with my luggage and checked me out and was quite polite. I just wanted to write this review, because it it too easy for people to leave negative ones when the positive experiences go unnoticed. The Nassau Inn will continue to be my #1 hotel for Princeton experiences.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lorton, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We were very disappointed with our stay at the Nassau Inn on the weekend of April 4. The only attraction for this hotel is its location at the commercial hub of Princeton Borough. Otherwise, this is a tired facility with dark, dated rooms. Think of it as an overpriced Holiday Inn without the glamor. There is a Westin and Hyatt outside of twon, about five minutes away. Their rates were much lower and if you wanted to come into town and pay for parking at the Hulfish Street garage, you would be way ahead pricewise.

Our room (#354) was dark and sparely decorated. It overlooked the narrow street where we entered the lobby. It was clean. the beds were very firm, but ordinary. The bathroom was very cramped and the showerhead looked like the cheapest one you could buy at Home Depot. The drywall next to the tub had suffered water damaged and been patched in a very sloppy fashion and painted over. I am in commercial construction and property management and I would never accept sloppy work like that. The streets are so narrow, that the trucks and trash trucks serving the Hotel and the neighboring businesses echo noisily between the buildings, especially when their back-up beepers are sounding. The window in the room are double-hung with metal frames and have virtually no sound attennuation qualities. It made it hard to sleep through the night. The heater was so noisy, even on low, that we couldn't use it at night. A minor annoyance was that every time you turned on the TV, it was very loud. Apparently no one pays attention to the details at this hotel.

I was very annoyed at the way they gigged me on a reservation snafu. My daughter had been invited to visit the University from overseas because she had been accepted in a doctoral program. They had made reservations for her on Monday and Tuesday nights. I had not realized that she did not have a reservation for Saturday and Sunday night. the woman at the front desk gave us a rate of $259 without breakfast for 2 nights. My rate with breakfast for 2 was $199. She said that she had to charge us the $259 because they had a full house that weekend. That statement was unsupported by the level of activity at the hotel. When I looked out my window at the other rooms in the evening, less than half of them were lit up. neither the lobby or elevator activity indicated that this was a booked hotel. That was an opportunistic rate to charge an existing customer for a weekend in a slow economy. Clearly, this individual had an incentive to charge the highest rate in the book without thinking of how it could leave a bitter taste with a paying customer. Our experience at the hotel was so dismal that we checked out a day early and they charged us a $99 early departure fee, like they must have had a full house on Monday night too.

As for breakfast, I had to send my plate back to the kitchen. I had ordered Corned Beef Hash with fried potatoes. The hash came out barely warm and soggy. It appeared that they had just emptied the can into a warming tray without any cooking or seasoning. The fried potatoes were undercooked making them a little bitter. The host chided me for not giving him my breakfast ticket when I had asked to be seated. We went to PJ's restaurant, about 3 bloocks away, for a great breakfast the next morning. It was a very popular local diner.

It is my understanding that Princeton University owns this hotel. They should be ashamed because it reflects very poorly on the university. This is the only hotel in town and they take advantage of their pricing power. Management is diffident as to the details of the hospitality business. When we checked in, the bellman watched me bring in two suitcases and hang my shirts on his luggage cart without saying a word. He was too busy talking with his buddy. Did I mention the story about having the full house?

My daughter will be at Princeton for the next five years and I expect that we will come up to visit her many times. I will never stay at this hotel again. They may have gotten me for a couple hundred dollars last weekend, but they lost a couple thousand dollars of future business with my family.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

If this is supposed to be the top hotel in Princeton, heaven help us! It has the best location in town and the breakfasts are really good - except that they are not included in the room price - which tends to range form expensive ( no events in Princeton) to exploitative (events in Princeton). It's far cheaper to hire a car and stay on Route 1. By comparison a place like Staybridge Suites, for example, is far superior. Get your act together Nassau. Who cares whether Albert Einstein ate there or not?

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I had a good stay, but agree with many of the comments listed.

Good News:
-Location is perfect
-Quaint / typical college town Inn

Bad News:
-Heater/AC noise is terrible. I booked a Parlour Suite, and put the heater on in the living room, not the bedroom - this helped..
-Bed - yikes...practically rolled off it from the low spot in the mattress.
-Also true what people have said about the attitude. Woman that checked me in at the desk did not care at all about my experience.

Haven't decided if I will go back - might do some more investigating of hotels in the area...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

I was really glad that I read the previous reviews here, as I learned that a set of ear plus might be necessary. I used them and it helped block out the heater noise quite a bit. I was nervous about this place due to the reviews but really wanted to be near the university and downtown, and this seemed to be my only choice. Otherwise, I'd be sitting in a standard hotel on the highway watching tv instead of checking out the town.

The Nassau Inn is funky. In the bad sense of the term: my window was permanently cracked open at the top. Housekeeping had left the plug in my bathtub in and the faucet dripping so the tub was full when I checked in. The bed smelled old and the cover was one of those ugly nylon flower things--uncomfortable, old, and not warm. The decor is dated as are the fixtures in the bathroom.

But it's funky in a good way, too, though unintentionally. It is antique kitschy, like stepping into a place hilariously decorated by your kooky great-aunt who scours flea markets. The place has a feeling like it's inhabited by ghosts (a plus in my book). This is not a hotel like any other, and I liked that.

The other component is the excellent service by the staff. I had some special needs with my stay and the staff were accomodating and helpful above and beyond courteous. I checked in at 4am and the person at the desk was wonderful at helping me check in, park, and making sure I had a wake up call and scheduled room service.

So even though the rooms are pretty bad, I still enjoyed the quirkiness of the place, the service, and the location enough that I plan to return on my next trips to town. I must note, too, that the university gets a substantial discount for rooms--I would possibly reconsider if I had to pay over $200.

• Liked — staff, location, ghosts
  • Disliked — icky bedspread
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

There are few hotels in the world that I dislike more than the Nassau Inn in Princeton! Of course, I am slightly spoilt as most hotels I stay in are for work (around 8 nights a year) - and we tend to stay in nice hotels.

I have had to stay in the Nassau Inn many times in the last 15 years. And I have never liked nor enjoyed it.

I only stay here when I have to, like this trip when we are at a meeting being held all week here.

The hotel feels run down and shabby from the outside and all through. It is located right in the centre of Palmer Square and is a great location. And is always full. So they don't care.

I had grumbled about the choice if hotel for the meeting, and noted when checking in that I was to be allocated a "VIP" room.

After rattling up the dated old lifts to the depressing 2nd floor, I found my room 245. I sighed with relief that it was in the soulless "new" section (new being at least 20 years) as at least the walls are not paper thin.

Saying that I can still hear a fair bit of noise from people on the street below and banging around from rooms above and next door.

The room is a good size, and they have made some effort. But the bathroom is appallingly dated. And they still have all the warning signs about what you can and cannot do and how much they will charge you if you do anything.

Annoyingly in this day and age, you need to get a cable to access the internet as there is no wireless access. You also need to get a key and sign to and fetch a key for the room safe, and agree to a 45 dollar charge if you loose it

The food in the hotel is all from the "tap room" which claims to date back to the mid 1700s. The food is very classic American fare, with huge portions. And not very inspiring.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else... shabby and run down, poor service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

I've stayed at the Nassau Inn a few times over the past five years because my company is based in Princeton a short walk from the hotel. I've joked that the Nassau Inn should be called The Triple L Inn, as in "location, location, location."

The staff at the Nassau Inn are extremely nice and helpful. I have zero complaints about them. They do a wonderful job. Also, breakfast downstairs was very good and having a bar on the premises never hurts.

The rooms, however, are another story.

The rooms badly need to be renovated. Carpet and furniture is old and televisions and lights often don't work well. The bathrooms contain fixtures dating back to about 1912 and not in a quaint way. Climate control is generally horrible. When you see your room your first thought typically is, "I can't believe I'm paying $250 for this."

The problem is that the Nassau Inn is the only hotel actually located in the town of Princeton. Everything else, for the most part, is out on Route 1 and getting to and from there can be nightmare in morning and evening rush. My boss actually told me that if I stayed out on Route 1 that he would refuse to send someone to pick me up because the 8-mile roundtrip would take an hour.

I implore the owners of the Nassau Inn to invest money into upgrading the rooms. I find it odd that such a well-located and lovely property would be so dingy inside. It's really a disservice to people that work at the hotel to have such shabby rooms and I just don't understand why the owners haven't made improvements to such a high-profile property.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Everything but the location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nassau Inn? Share your experiences!