“Disappointing. Overpriced” 2 of 5 stars

Adv Purchase Up To 15%Off
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
“Disappointing. Overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My bed was poorly made. It madee wonder whether housekeeping came. Room is very dark. I asked for a quiet room but I think it is not possible to have a quiet room anywhere because rooms are badly insulated. Pretty expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed June 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Princeton, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I apologize that your recent stay at our property was less than ideal. Please know this is not what our guests should come to expect while staying at our property. I have shared your feedback regarding your room with the Housekeeping Manager so we can prevent this from occurring to future guests. I would like to have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to Hyatt Regency Princeton.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having just spent 10 days in Boston in the rubbish $400/$500 a night Ames Hotel, it was a relief to arrive at the Hyatt.
I stayed 1 night. Really caters well for the business traveller. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. Shower a bit lacking in pressure but hey there is a bath and other comforts.
Breakfast is very good and staff so friendly and helpful.
Swimming pool okay but a little warm for swimming properly but enjoyed staying here. Unlike many hotels, it doesn't try to be cool and fail miserably.
I would stay again and recommend.

Just one thing. The entrance is a bit odd!

Room Tip: book a room facing out, not facing in to the main lobby/hall!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Princeton is a moderately-great hotel within a 10 minute drive to Princeton University. Stayed here for a business meeting. Would be interested in returning for future trips. The staff was very helpful and friendly during the 2-night stay.

atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Pros:
1. Under Construction- it was well overdue
2. Nicely upgraded room

Cons:
1. The newly renovated "front desk" looks as if someone just threw them there, in the middle of the busy walk-way
2. The check-in process is very long and the staff are discombobulated and taking paper notes
3. As guests stand in the middle of the busy walk-way to get checked in, other guests are entering and exiting thru the main entrance. So, it becomes a dance of attempting to avoid roller-boards.

Suggestion: I visited 4 June 13....I'd suggest waiting until about August before scheduling, to ensure all the accommodations are complete to justify the nightly price $$$

Room Tip: This hotel is under major needed refurbishment. Wait until after August 2013 before booking.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed at this property with my family during Princeton Reunions weekend and was sorely disappointed. I've been staying here for reunions for the last 20 years and I hate to say that what was once a lovely upscale property has seen much better days.

With all of the Princeton reunion and graduation traffic alone, they should do a better job of keeping this hotel updated. That's not to mention the proms (there were 2 during my 3 day stay) and business travel clientele.

This was my first time dining in the restaurant and (not that I needed it) but I realized there is no apparent handicap access to the restaurant (which is on a level below the lobby). Although the original construction may have predated ADA, I just see no reason for this not to have been rectified by now.

The service was so-so. Check-in was a breeze (at least for a Diamond member). However the service in the restaurant was sub-par. They failed to bring cream when serving coffee (or even inquire as to whether you wanted it), they failed to refill everyone at the table's juice glass; only filled the person who specifically asked when it was obvious others' were empty.

Lastly after my giving them the complimentary voucher I was given by the front desk upon being seated (and the server actually making a verbal acknowledgment to me about it) I was presented with a bill. Not only had I given him my vouchers, I told him the rest of the party who would be joining the table momentarily also had them. After I looked at the bill and questioned him, he said "did you give me a voucher?" Seriously, that's not what I expect from Hyatt (or from any establishment for that matter; however I particularly don't expect it at premium prices.

My suite was ok. The furniture, bedding and bathroom looked updated but there is no in-room safe and no refrigerator. Who offers a suite with a wet bar, but no refrigerator? My view was of the loading dock/trash area. My tub did not drain properly.

At this point, the best place about this hotel is its location. You can't beat it's proximity to the University or to places to dine and shop.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed several times last year. Stayed on Sunday during Memorial Day weekend and enjoyed the remodeled room, which was very comfortable. The decor was upgraded. The bathroom/shower was comfortable. TV reception was static-cy for several channels.
Kids enjoyed the koi fish in the lower level.
Check-in was challenging because the place was sold out on Saturday with many late check-outs. This created a wait for those wanting to check in at 3-4pm. Front desk offered free appetizer or desert for our wait.
Check-out. It's probably me (never stand in line behind me at the supermarket/costco. I always seem to pick the line with delays). Check out has always been met with delays. Since my room was prepaid, my check-out was quick. I wanted the front desk check out to confirm no additional charges. Overhearing the checkout process ahead of me, it seems to be due to the handling of charges/deposits for incidentals. Kiosk check out did not work for me.
Pool: Great for kids. Only hiccup is the lack of towels. We had to tell the front desk, and 40 minutes later, had to call the main number to request towels for me and the kids. The towel problem probably due to housekeeping scrambling for the late check-outs. Security could be better. Non-guests can enter since the doors are not locked and there is no room key required.
Beware of powerful suction along the right wall around the 4-5 ft. My hand was sucked in and created some pain. Could be an accident waiting to happen if it happens to a child.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I expected a nicer property - understand that they're going through renovation, so that should help. Nothing specifically wrong, just was underwhelmed. I had a 1st floor room and there was a large wedding that evening, so heard all 400 guests leaving around 11:00 PM. Was over by 11:30 PM, but wasn't the most quiet evening. The restaurant is in a sort of pavilion and wasn't really warm and upscale. The food and service, however, were both very nice.

May try again in the future and see what they've made of it.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor so that you don't hear noise from the lobby/atrium
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Princeton? Share your experiences!