“Among the worst” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Princeton
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Among the worst”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stay in the Princeton area a couple of times a month and have tried most of the hotels up and down Rt 1. The good reviews were promising. But I reserved a non smoking room, which the clerk repeated when I checked in, but the first room completely reeked of smoke. They gave me a second room on the opposite side of the hotel, and this room also reeked of smoke, not quite as bad ad the first. I called down again, but was informed they had no more rooms. I was awoke by the alarm too early - the alarm of the people in the next room, that sounded like it was going off on my own night table. Followed by me listening to their conversation about breakfast through the wall as they lay in bed. The Hampton next door is so much better.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mary Ann K, General Manager at Homewood Suites Princeton, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear frackit,
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear of the bad experience that had while staying with us. We strive to make everyone’s stay exceptional. We make an effort to ensure that our guest are comfortable and that includes making sure that the room has a fresh, clean smell during the stay. In your review you also commented that you could hear the room next store and I do apologize for that as well; as that affected your experience. We would love to have you try the Homewood Suites Princeton again so we can show you our true Homewood spirit.

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Jupiter, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The good- clean room, good location

The bad- coffee creamers in the room were opened
Pull out bed was extremely uncomfortable. My daughter wound up sleeping on the cushions of the couch on the floor.
Room was too far away to enjoy convenience of on-site dining.

Asked for someone to bring up more pillows and to help us make up the sofabed when we arrived and no one ever showed up.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mary Ann K, General Manager at Homewood Suites Princeton, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear jenngreco,

Thank you for staying at the Homewood Suites Princeton. I happy to see you were happy with the locality of our property. We will continue to improve our service and I thank you for bringing your experiences to our attention. We strive to make sure that every guest is comfortable and has a sense of Home. I apologize if your room was far away from our Lodge and we do try to make sure that we can place every guest into a location that will make them happy.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Once again I stayed at the Homewood Suites Princeton and as always I can't say enough to praise the staff and service. I rely on the free hotel shuttle each day and it makes my stay so much easier. Equally wonderful is the free dinner Monday through Thursday and the always tasty breakfasts.
As long as I have to travel to Princeton I will stay at Homewood Suites!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have to go to Princeton once a month and I think I've found the best place for me. Comfortable beds. The facility is large so you didn't feel on top of other people. Easy check in and out. The rooms were nice sized with very workable, well equipped kitchens. For example we bought dinner at Whole Foods just down the way and brought it home and heated it up on the stove. A nice choice rather than a restaurant. The staff was helpful and low key. The breakfast area was very large, very well maintained, and offered a good selection. Also the attendant's name is on a chalkboard and both mornings he was very attentive. I would book here again anytime.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the back off a route 1 and was taken care of nicely.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a night so we could go see the Princeton University football game.

We liked the fact that this hotel was clean, had a kitchen, and had a comfortable seating area. We also liked that it was within walking distance to a Ruby Tuesday. We came in late and didn't want to drive around and look for a place to eat.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Made reservations before New Jersey was hit by Hurricane Sandy....and called ahead to make sure they had power. Lucky for us, they are up and running.....and the staff is all-hands-on-deck with a completely FULL hotel, as many locals are calling this place home until power is established in the community. Saw the manager again....she is always out on the floor working. The kitchen gal is really a gem....she was producing dinner for a crazy big group and was not rattled at all. Lucky to be back again....

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here for a week while on business in NYC. I picked this location for the good rate (less than 1/2 of Manhattan prices), decent tripadvisor reviews, and primarily its proximity and FREE SHUTTLE to and from the Princeton Junction rail station. Made all the difference to be able to stay here in this quite nice area and take the train to/from NY Penn Station. That was a huge bonus - being able to get the hotel shuttle van to/from the train station AND to have it be able to take you pretty much anywhere within a 3 - 5 mile radius (check with the front desk). One evening, had the shuttle take me to Princeton U so I could check out the campus. It's very close and the shuttle drops you off and picks you up right in the heart of the University area. That was great.

The hotel staff - from the front desk to the breakfast/dinner area to the shuttle van drivers - were all very courteous, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and professional. Very nice since at a hotel like this you typically spend a lot of time at the property. The hotel grounds, common areas, and my room were all very clean and well-kept for the duration of my stay, and the breakfast/dinner area was kept in nice order (although the table cleaning during meal times is pretty much self-policing). Very nice and AMPLE selection of food both in the morning and evening; although choices are limited at dinner, it was always very tasty, well presented and very well stocked. That was really a nice feature, and a huge cost savings as well. I did try the Ruby Tuesday across the parking lot one evening, and was completely underwhelmed - dirty, smelled bad, and food was pricey and not very good. Sorry HS - should have stayed for the pasta night!

There are different sized rooms, mine was plenty big for 1 person, and I liked the separate room area with the couch, chairs, and TV. The couch looked like it was a pull out bed as well although I didn't confirm. It was nice having the sink, refrigerator, and dishwasher as well. My only very small complaint about the room was lack of working space - the desk/table they provided was good for one person eating, but with the lamp, phone, and small table size, it was very difficult to work and be able to have more than just the computer on the table. There was sort of a coffee table/ottoman piece of furniture in front of the couch, but it was low, leather covered, and far enough away from plugs to make it a good working space. Small nit however, didn't really detract too much from my overall stay experience.

Again, I can't stress enough the great logistical quality of this hotel - you are a few miles from the Princeton Junction train station, but if you don't go to/from there during rush hours, it only takes about 7 minutes. Princeton University is about the same - 2 or 3 miles and 7 - 10 minutes ride away. Strongly recommend going here for dinner and walking around one evening if you have the time - great area.

Used the fitness center multiple times - it's nice but very small - 2 treadmills, a stair-stepper, and some of those yoga weights; that was it. Only had to wait once however. It's in the same area as the pool and hot tub, so that's convenient - didn't try either of those however.

I would definitely stay here if in the area (NYC, Philly, or Princeton) again - if the rates are as competitive as they were this time. Adding the train fare (about $15 each way to NY Penn Station) is still worth it from a cost and transportation hassle standpoint.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Homewood Suites Princeton? Share your experiences!