“What a treasure!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Glencairn

Save Saved
You added Inn at Glencairn to your Saves list
Inn at Glencairn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3301 Lawrenceville Road, Princeton, NJ 08540   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Brecksville, oh
“What a treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I can't say enough about what a lovely B&B this is, and how well it is maintained. We arrived 2 days before Christmas, the house was beautifully, tastefully and very historically decorated for the holidays. The "old" house, which is attached to the colonial addition has a huge fireplace. The room was inviting and comfortable. Our room was very period decorated and pristine. Beautiful linens, a wonderful bed, a well-done bathroom. As someone that lives in a century+ home, it's hard to understand the difficulties of adding bathrooms to houses that never had them.
As for the service/food - just wonderful all around. I read a previous review that stated the food could of been better. I can't agree. I prefer a lighter breakfast, and it's done perfectly here. We had a light egg souffle-type dish with tons of flavor, a pear compote and homemade bread. Anything more and I would have been back asleep in a few hours. The innkeepers are so accomodating and friendly - with lots of information about the area. We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I had a really tough time accurately ranking the Inn at Glencairn. I was looking for a nice, quiet, comfortable spot convenient to Princeton for a weekend getaway for my spouse's birthday. We did get that. We were also treated to very friendly and accommodating service by the Innkeepers (Jon and Suzanne). The location is quiet, the Inn is a very old colonial era stone house that has been converted to a B&B. For the price (~$200/night) the Inn is nice and reasonably priced for what it is. And I suppose the most important aspect of the B&B (for me anyway) is the first "B" -- and the Bed was quite comfortable. Before I sound overly critical below, I want to be clear that I would recommend this place, but want to give an accurate description of what it is -- which I think, in a way, can be lost in the numerous 5-star reviews on TripAdvisor. This may well be a 5-star place w/ respect to the friendly innkeepers, but it is by no means a 5-star location w/ respect to its facilities, or its food. In those respects, it is 3-stars at best. But I gave it a 4-star review, because it is a nice location with nice owners who will treat you in a friendly and respectful manner.

The house itself, is very old, and parts of it date back to the 1600s. While it certainly has a quaint and authentic feel, it is not exactly fully renovated to the point that it could be. So expect creaky stairs, seeing through some floor-boards to the level below, etc., etc. Some might like this, some might not. The room we stayed in was fairly spartan (perhaps in keeping with the early colonial feel), but the bathroom was very barebones. (E.g., trash can from Target, uncovered box of tissues sitting on the back of the toilet, etc.) The bathrooms look circa 1980s renovated. Certainly not inviting or luxurious - but perfectly clean and functional.
I wanted the darkest and quietest room we could get, because my spouse is a sensitive sleeper. Jon was very accommodating on the phone, and said he'd put us in the back of the house, away from the (low-traveled) road, and in a dark room. It was fine -- but one of my big pet peeves was present: basically, no functional blinds. There were translucent curtains. We had to hang a blanket over the curtain rod. There appeared to be actual functioning wooden shutters outside the windows, but they were covered with spider webs, leaves, etc., and looked like they hadn't been moved in years -- and the window didn't look like it had been opened in years. So we left well-enough alone.

We have stayed in other very old houses that have been converted into B&Bs, but I guess the conversions were more recent and more significant overhauls Of course, in those cases (where the bathrooms, for example, were spa-like and high-end, with things like new clawfoot tubs, inviting shower spaces, candles, etc., etc.), the cost per night was higher (say $3-350/night). So again, for the price, this place is worth it -- but understand that this is not a luxurious house, it is a functional one (with a comfy bed!)

Likewise, breakfast was tasty and adequate, but no-frills: we got a waffle with one sliced strawberry on top. And coffee. Presentation, at a minimum, could be much-improved. No eggs, no bacon, no ham, etc. There may have been muffins, but I don't recall. We *were* treated to a very tasty home-made yogurt smoothie upon coming into breakfast, which was nice and appreciated. So well-meaning constructive criticism to the Innkeepers if they read this: dress up the breakfast a little - you can do it on the cheap. A small glass bowl of fruit with the waffle, for example, with a dollop of whipped cream. Some artisanal breads, cheeses, etc., at the table, maybe a big bowl of mixed fruit. Easy, right? And it adds a more high-end touch. (Also one of the Innkeepers came into the breakfast room at one point, and poured a cup of coffee for himself from the pot on the table - tacky? homey? You decide).

The Innkeepers also made a little cake for my spouse's birthday and sang happy birthday, which was quite nice, and truly appreciated.

I hope the above it helpful to anyone looking for a spot to rest their head near Princeton! I'd recommend this place, for the money, and given its quiet and slightly out of the way (but convenient) location, I think it beats out others that are either more expensive or louder.

Room Tip: Ask the Innkeepers, tell them what you want, and they'll help you out. Probably better to ask f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marlton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We went to visit two schools in the Princeton area this weekend and we stayed at the Inn at Glencairn. What a wonderful B&B. We were in the Baldwin suite which has 2 rooms and a bathroom. There was plenty of room for my husband, daughter and I. It is very close to the Princeton shops and restaurants. It was very quiet at night and we had a wonderful breakfast on Sunday. I would recommend the Inn to anyone visiting that area.

Room Tip: The Baldwin suite is the only room that a family can stay in.....the other 4 rooms are for couples.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kingwood, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our second stay and could not be more pleased. Jon and Suzanne very welcoming. Will be returning this fall visiting Princeton. Breakfast was good, homemade cookies always available and delicious. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Princeton.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband had a work function in Princeton and we stayed one night at the Inn. We had a lovely experience. There was a minor issue with a room and they quickly switch to another room. Provided glasses and ice for our champagne and got a cake for my birthday. Suzanne and John were wonderful I would recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

As background, I'm a student interning in Princeton for the summer. The past week was so hot here (100+!) that my mother surprised me with a few nights at the Inn at Glencairn, and I could not have been happier-- and not just because of the air conditioning!

Upon arrival, I was worried, because I hadn't printed out the email confirmation my mother forwarded to me, but my fear was quickly assuaged as I was met in the driveway by Jon, the manager, who addressed me by name. Check-in was easy, and Jon gave me a quick tour of the house, which is marvelous-- both old and stunning. I stayed in the Hunt Room, which is well-appointed with a fantastically high poster bed and cute seating area. The bathroom is truly lovely, with a sparkling shower and pedestal sink.

Breakfast was more than fine, consisting of a starter (strawberries and cream, fruit plate) and a warm entree, as well as a selection of bread, muffins, coffee, and tea. The company of the other guests was most welcome, and I never felt rushed or hurried. Jon and his fellow manager, Susie, were very accommodating, which I really appreciated. No one made a fuss about my coming in late after a night out with a friend, or when I was a bit late to breakfast.

For me, it's the personal touches that really count-- Jon offered me an umbrella on a rainy morning, and I was given a power strip when it was realized that I had too many electronics for the number of accessible outlets in my room.

As I told Jon this morning at breakfast, I felt like a princess while at the Inn at Glencairn. I will absolutely recommend the Inn to any Princeton visitors, and I hope to have an opportunity to stay here again. Thank you so much, Jon and Susie!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Long island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at the Inn on two different occasions at two different times of the year. The hospitality was wonderful. We were met by John, one of the managers, both times. There is a wonderful history to the Inn, as it has a pre-inn history as a revolutionary era farm which was renovated into what it is today. John will escort you on the original part of the premises and explain how it had been.

My biggest concern occurred the first time we booked there because I am under 5 feet and was booked into a room with a very high bed. (somehow I am under the impression that a lot of furniture is made without a thought to who will be using it, assuming everyone is circa 6 feet in height). I was provided a step stool which helped, but I was fearful if I needed to use the toilet during the night what I would do. At the second booking, (my daughter and husband lived nearby but without room for my husband and me and checking Internet sites for hotels came up with little that wasn't a sterile chain locale) I made mention of the bed. Lo and behold! A reasonably heighted bed and room was available. So, if you're short in stature, make sure you put this into the equation when booking. I'm glad I did.

Room Tip: See review
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Inn at Glencairn? Share your experiences!