“Wonderful Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Glencairn

Save Saved
You added Inn at Glencairn to your Saves list
Inn at Glencairn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   3301 Lawrenceville Road, Princeton, NJ 08540   |
Offers & Announcements
10% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 3 Princeton B&B and Inns
Ithaca, New York
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

As background, I'm a student interning in Princeton for the summer. The past week was so hot here (100+!) that my mother surprised me with a few nights at the Inn at Glencairn, and I could not have been happier-- and not just because of the air conditioning!

Upon arrival, I was worried, because I hadn't printed out the email confirmation my mother forwarded to me, but my fear was quickly assuaged as I was met in the driveway by Jon, the manager, who addressed me by name. Check-in was easy, and Jon gave me a quick tour of the house, which is marvelous-- both old and stunning. I stayed in the Hunt Room, which is well-appointed with a fantastically high poster bed and cute seating area. The bathroom is truly lovely, with a sparkling shower and pedestal sink.

Breakfast was more than fine, consisting of a starter (strawberries and cream, fruit plate) and a warm entree, as well as a selection of bread, muffins, coffee, and tea. The company of the other guests was most welcome, and I never felt rushed or hurried. Jon and his fellow manager, Susie, were very accommodating, which I really appreciated. No one made a fuss about my coming in late after a night out with a friend, or when I was a bit late to breakfast.

For me, it's the personal touches that really count-- Jon offered me an umbrella on a rainy morning, and I was given a power strip when it was realized that I had too many electronics for the number of accessible outlets in my room.

As I told Jon this morning at breakfast, I felt like a princess while at the Inn at Glencairn. I will absolutely recommend the Inn to any Princeton visitors, and I hope to have an opportunity to stay here again. Thank you so much, Jon and Susie!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Long island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at the Inn on two different occasions at two different times of the year. The hospitality was wonderful. We were met by John, one of the managers, both times. There is a wonderful history to the Inn, as it has a pre-inn history as a revolutionary era farm which was renovated into what it is today. John will escort you on the original part of the premises and explain how it had been.

My biggest concern occurred the first time we booked there because I am under 5 feet and was booked into a room with a very high bed. (somehow I am under the impression that a lot of furniture is made without a thought to who will be using it, assuming everyone is circa 6 feet in height). I was provided a step stool which helped, but I was fearful if I needed to use the toilet during the night what I would do. At the second booking, (my daughter and husband lived nearby but without room for my husband and me and checking Internet sites for hotels came up with little that wasn't a sterile chain locale) I made mention of the bed. Lo and behold! A reasonably heighted bed and room was available. So, if you're short in stature, make sure you put this into the equation when booking. I'm glad I did.

Room Tip: See review
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

While the innkeepers were extremely nice and eager to please, the inn itself is just OK. Our bed creaked whenever someone moved, the room appointments were old and very plain. Also, if you're visiting Princeton, it's about a 3 mile ride to the Center of town. I don't think I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Janet P, Owner at Inn at Glencairn, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thanks so much for your review of the Inn at Glencairn. I am so glad you found our new Innkeepers, Jon and Susy extremely nice and eager to please and I hope you found their breakfasts as delightful too! I do apologize that your bed creaked and I will make sure to have this addressed. I am also disappointed that you found the room appointments old and very plain. All rooms have a mix of antiques and reproductions and the overall style of the Inn is colonial in keeping with the 18th century architecture. Hopefully you will stay again with us so that we can point out some of the more decorative antiques in the common areas such as the Jacobean breakfront and wine server or the Pennsylvania Dutch bench and the 19th century drum tables found in the Parlor.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Recent travels have landed me in some big city hotels (Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, et al.), some more isolated but comfortable spots (Harrisburg, Wheeling and even Bloomsburg, Pa.) Good hotels all. But hotels aren't all there is to the sleeping mix.

We stayed recently at the Inn at Glencairn, near Princeton, N.J., and are reminded at how vital and welcoming a part the inns and beds and breakfasts play in the travel picture. They're not everyone's cup of tea but I have always liked the comfort and general friendliness that such places offer in a landscape cluttered with in & out places lacking any charm whatever.

The Inn at Glencairn is reasonably priced for the region -- and a bargain when the terrific breakfast and free parking is factored in. We picked it out of the web because it broke up a trip nicely, but the beautiful old place offers so much more than that. The rooms were large and comfortable. The hearty food was perfect to start off the day. The location was ideal and the friendliness of the operators, Jon and Susana Onkka, made the stopover something of a destination in itself.

The inn itself dates back to the early 1700's with additions and changes, of course, over the three ensuing centuries. You could easily spend your time just studying the architecture, the construction and the beauty of farmland around. The original house sort of slid into bed and breakfast status in the late 1970's and has eased uphill from there to full inn status today. The place has all the character you could ask for, but all the most modern requirements the traveler needs, too.

With lovely and lofty Princeton just up the Lawrenceville Road, the elegance of very high education is nearby but quietly distant enough. near enough to Philadelphia to the south or new York to the north, the inn exists as an oasis of comfort from which to sail out and explore the historical region -- or just get a very good night's rest.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My wife and I were warmly welcomed into this beautiful house, by the warm and friendly innkeepers, Jon and Suzie. The Inn is clean, neat, warm and homely. The innkeepers went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. They even helped us to get to an appointment in town when the taxi did not arrive on time by driving us into town. We would return to the Inn if we were in Princeton again. DD from South Africa

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

My wife and I arrived at the Inn on October 29th in the middle of a Nor'Easter. The Innkeepers, Jon and Susana were incredible! They saved some cheese and goodies for us, the bed was most comfortable and the ambience just right. Breakfast the next day was perfect, very different and very tasty. As for the restoration of the Inn, nothing short of gorgeous. We are intending to return soon!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I can't agree more with the reviews we read before choosing to stay here. I guess that's why we love tripadvisor. The house is beautiful and meticulously maintained. The furnishings and artwork are ecletic in a good way. First-rate breakfast and caring help. Awesome night's sleep on comfy bed. Not far from home, but our visit took us light years from reality. We'll definitely be back again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn at Glencairn? Share your experiences!