“Off the beaten path, but worth it” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 152 Restaurants in Princeton
Cuisines: Mexican
Lindon, Utah
“Off the beaten path, but worth it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My son and his girlfriend joined me at their new favorite spot to eat in Princeton. We had a great dinner. Each of us chose a combo plate, and we shared an appetizer of freshly-made guacamole with chips. Service was prompt, and portions were very generous. The tamales are the best. An upside to dinner at Tortuga's is that it is BYOB. A caveat is that it is cash only. Combo plates with three items ran $15 each. This place is not located on or near Nassau St.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

princeton, nj
“Un ganador! (A winner!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have never been a fan of Mexican cousine. Recently, my wife & I joined some friends for dinner at Tortuga's in Princeton, NJ. This is a fairly small BYO restaurant & it was completly packed with diners when we arrived, & many more still were outside waiting to be seated. Reservations are not taken. You arrive & give your name & number of people to someone who writes it down & calls you when it is your turn. We joined the others & waited outside for about 30 minutes before being seated. Frankly, I was expecting the same old, same old; that is to say nothing very exceiting. I WAS WRONG!!! The menu certainly has the "typical" mexican standards, to be sure, but also some very unique (at least to me) dishes, as well. We were a party of four. We started off with some guacamole & totilia chips, which were very tasty. I shoud point out here however, that only the first bowel of chips are free, Thereafter you are charged an additional fee of $3 for another bowel, which to me is kind of chinstzy! We then ordered our main courses. Two of us ordered the Chipotle Shrimp, & two ordered the Enchiladas De Mar. Both dishes were unique (at least to me) &, everyone agreed, quite delicious! After our visit, I subsequently read some reviews by others who found this restaurant to be over priced for what they saw as "typical: Mexican cuisine." Our group did not feel that way at all.I was so pleased with the dinner that I had, that I will take my wife out to dinner there again tonight.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Plainsboro
“Delicious fajitas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Had the steak and chicken fajitas which were absolutely delicious. The steak was very good quality. The place is small and cramped but it is popular! I look forward to coming again!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Princeton Junction, NJ
“Great Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Fun and close by home. One of those small places that if fun to meet friends. Best of all bring your own favorite mexican beer.

“BYOB, good but not great. Large Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The chicken wings are very spicy but with good flavour as well. The Santa Fe burrito was huge and had broccoli and coliflour in it which sounds weird but was very good. The salsa had chunks of fresh onion and tomato and was really good.
The service was on the slow side but not unreasonable. I found the prices to be on the high side but it is Princeton, so its to be expected. I liked the food but there is Better Mexican in the area. The place is cute and I'll probably go back but not on a regular basis. Get there early because lack parking is the main issue. Sooo, it was good but not authentic or great....try it once.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere