“This is the best Sushi..” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Jersey Shore
“This is the best Sushi..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I returned to Ajihei for the fifth time since our initial trip. Everytime that we have ate there has been a culinary experience. The sushi and sashimi consistently are amazing and the flavors are the best. Each roll melts in your mouth and the flavors marry together perfectly. The sushi chef is a master and does not disappoint both in portion size and presentation. Service is on point and you will be well taken care of. We have become self proclaimed regulars by now and would not go to another sushi establishment in the area. It is that good and worth another stellar review.

Also, in regards to the last reviewer who stated that they only take reservations; this is an incorrect statement. I have never made a reservation and walk-in each time that I dine at this restaurant. It is worth the wait, if there is one. This place is the best.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Princeton, New Jersey
“No Sushi for you!! Come back 1 year!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This place is an enigma. Great fish, but an enigma. We tried to take some out of town friends here about 2 months ago and we couldn't get in because they now only seat you with a reservation. This was not the case in the past, but now, there is a new sushi boss in town. Now: 4 people per table, 1 bottle of wine, and a minimum $20/person. Oh and here is the funny one...they open at 6:30 PM but don't answer the phone until around 6 PM, so good luck with that reservation.
Just under 2 weeks ago, 2 different out of town friends joined us for some relaxing cocktails followed by a dinner somewhere in the greater Princeton area. We had 3 plans of action: 1) Go to Ajihei 2) The Blue Shellfish place on Nassau St and 3) The Nassau St sushi.
After a few drinks on our porch, we called Ajihei around 7:30 to check on a table. They said they were busy but to come in at 8:30 and they may have a table. Sure enough, they did. As previous reviews mention, the menu is quite small. Don't expect large, flamboyant rolls decorated with sauces, fruit and colors. Do expect very fresh and tasty fish.
I opted for 2 rolls, a spicy tuna and a spicy salmon accompanied with 2 pieces of sashimi flounder and sea bass. Both fresh and tasty. My wife had the chirashi bowl which she absolutely raved over. It included a bowl of miso soup for a price of $20. Not a bad deal by any means. I'm guessing if they aren't busy and you manage a seat at the sushi bar, you could probably get some non-menu items from the chef. The service was good and pleasant with certainly no complaints from our party. Enjoy!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
USA
“For serious sushi lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I know, the rules on the wall are a bit strange, but if you appreciate a quiet atmosphere and great sushi, this is your place. Large parties do increase the noise level, and maybe that is why there is a four-person limit per party. A bit of wine will do, one bottle per table, but aside from that, service is prompt and friendly, and their fish is sublime. Especially tasty is the mackerel. The newly redecorated interior includes some booths, so there is more privacy. This is not your place if you want to socialize for the entire evening...better for a couple or two who really appreciate fresh sushi. So grab your chopsticks, hunker down and dig into some of the best stuff around.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belgrade, Serbia
“Fresh food, dodgy atmosphere :/”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The sushi is very fresh, but there isn't too much variety. Or at least there wasn't when I was there. You can basically get a sushi platter or a chirashi bowl. I think there's one classic california roll option too. No maki, no temaki, no gunkan.....no fun. Perhaps I've been overspoiled by the rich flavours of Korean and HongKong style sushi.

The place is below street level and relatively small. The staff is friendly...but don't try and come with children or a lager group of people. They will not accomodate you!

Visited April 2012
Princeton, New Jersey
“Mislead and "Meh"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I had read all the reviews about the crazy rules for the weekend (max party size, min order $, not too much wine), so decided to go during the week for lunch. The sign on the door says "lunch & bento box", and that's what I went there for. You know, like the usual 1/2 price lunch sushi deal that places have, at least. Their only lunch special was $20 (!), which was not what I was expecting. And no bento boxes. Upon asking about it, she said that was their menu.

I had a Green Salad which was the usual kind you get with ginger dressing, but I found it a bit over priced at $5.50, and also the California Roll at $6. I thought maybe for that price it would be elaborate and outstanding, but that was not the case. It was good, but just very ordinary. The rolls ala carte were the only combos that I could get at a reasonable lunch price and there were only a handful. The entire menu was very sparse.

I felt mislead since the sign was a bit false advertising, it felt very over priced for what it was, and all-in-all it just wasn't that great a sushi place. It's very small and I can see how it would easily get crowded during the weekend. I won't be returning, there are better Japanese places in town.

• Visited April 2012