“Excellent, beyond the call of duty.” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta ES Suites Princeton
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4375 US Route 1 South, Princeton, NJ 08540   |
Ranked #3 of 15 hotels in Princeton
Bainbridge
“Excellent, beyond the call of duty.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My family moved from another hotel to the Sonesta Suites the night that Hurricane Sandy hit, we had to make a reservation at the last minute as our flight was cancelled. From the moment we walked into the welcoming lobby we were aware that this place was quite different from the Holiday Inn we had been staying at across the road. It was much more inviting. We received a very warm welcome from the gentleman at the desk who had an excellent sense of humor. Our room was very functional, clean and more like an apartment with a small kitchen. But the real surprise was ahead, when we got to see just how incredible the staff were through the storm and for the next three days that we were there for while waiting for a flight home. All the staff, without exception, went beyond what was expected of them. The wonderful ladies cleaning the rooms continued to do so with a smile despite being in the dark and having not seen their families because they couldn't get home, they stayed on at the hotel. The general manager led the way to service excellence, immediately setting up the barbecue outside in the pouring rain, with a hastily erected awning, so that we could all get a hot, extremely generous breakfast despite there being no power. I don't think any of us, including the staff, had gotten very much sleep during the night as the stormed passed over us but none of the staff let it show. Full of smiles they made sure everyone had enough to eat, in a very personal way. This went on even when it became clear that we were not going to have power for some days. We were provided with entertainment as the General Manager and his dedicated staff spent the day tracking down a generator and setting a movie screen in the lounge to project movies from the computer. Everyone was given the opportunity to charge up their phones via the generator and the food and treats just coming in ever more creative ways. We all felt taken care of, by everyone. It felt like being a guest in someone's home. When we finally left they had no power and actually they may be part of the 200,000 people who still have no power in New Jersey, but I don't doubt that they are still taking care of their customers like family. My husband and I were truly amazed how well they turned a bad situation into one that we will never forget. These days, one hotel looks just like another, so how do you choose? Well, not all staff are the same, they make the difference. Don't hesitate to book here, you will treated very well indeed.

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Business travelers be advised: The internet service in this hotel is awful, worse than my dial-up was in the late 90's, for real. I politely advised the front desk - the woman was (1) barely an English-speaker, and (2) told me, at only 4pm when nobody's checked-in yet, that "a lot of people must be online." So I called the IT helpline, and they were just as useless, said they "ran some tests but would get back to me" but of course they did not. The connection was so bad I couldn't download a single pdf attachment from email all night, and I was here on business. Very disappointed, won't be staying here again in the Princeton area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Unfortunately, we did not get to stay at the Sonesta ES Princeton. Our daughters had a lacrosse tournament that was cancelled at the last minute when the n'oreaster dumped snow on the fields after recovery from Sandy. The hotel cancellation policy is by 4:00 the prior day to your reservation. I called at 6 and Pat, who answered the phone, went out of her way to help me cancel without penalty. She was friendly and helpful. Thanks for being flexible!

Room Tip: Didn't have the pleasure of staying
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

New ownership (it used to be Staybridge) have kept things pretty much the same. Some room furnishings a bit dated (tube TVs) but overall a very nice, clean, spacious place. Great for families because of the suites. Tiny health facility and pool, but still an excellent value. Decent if unexciting breakfast

Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My family and I visited my brother who's at Princeton and we stayed at Sonesta. It was a great experience. As this was our first time spending a couple days in Princeton and coming from out of state, we could only base our decision on internet research. We felt the value was great and hoped for the best. When we got there our expectations were greatly exceeded. For the value, four of us stayed comfortably in a 2-bedroom unit (it was great to have a kitchen), there was a surprisingly diverse and delicious breakfast, as well as great service. In fact, the service may have been the best part. We got to know a woman at the front desk named Irene and she was wonderful! She was extremely helpful this being our first time at Sonesta and in Princeton for an extended period of time.

In short, I highly recommend Sonesta. I think this will be our place of choice until my brother graduates.

York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We are 5 ladies that met in college and get together annually. We always try to find someplace comfortable, where we can just hang out and catch up. The Sonesta fit our bill perfectly. The two bedroom suite was perfect. . . 2 queen beds in separate rooms, 2 baths and a sleep sofa. The rooms were just big enough and the bathrooms were clean. You could tell this was an older hotel, but a hotel that was recently taken over by Sonesta, and improvements are being made.

The kitchenette was small, but we were there for just 1 night. It came equipped with all we needed! (At the time of departure, we did try to run the dishwasher, but couldn't get the door to lock)

The room included breakfast which was your typical fare, scrambled eggs, hash, pastries, fruit, cereal and yogurt. Everything was well stocked and cleaned as needed. There was plenty of seating in the eating area.

The staff were very nice and helpful. Several of us arrived before the person that reserved the room and they were able to make some changes so that we could get into the room for us. The location of the hotel is very convenient to restaurants, shopping and downtown Princeton. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Greer, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The floors are paper thin. I was on the ground floor and heard every foot step and conversation from the room above me.The best place to be would be the 3rd floor, but with no elevators that makes a lengthy stay very hard. There are only outside wooden stairs, a long climb up and down with luggage, kids, groceries etc. Breakfast is ok. Hot selection is limited to eggs and either sausage patti or bacon. Saturdays they serve corned beef hash in leiu of a meat, not a fan. " Dinner,Social hour" is a joke. One item for example cheese ravioli in a jar of Ragu, Hot Dogs and potato chips.. and sometimes a green salad. Very cheap bland,bulk frozen, canned food. Not worth the walk to the dining room. Furniture is stained,and dated. Couch has permanent indent in cushions from years of use. Bed is ok, linen is good. Not a fan of the 2 HUGE pillows though.Appliances are dated. The upside is there is a full stove and oven.Good news is there are 2 TV's, one in bedroom and 1 in the living area. Bad news is they are older than my mother with no TV guide channel and grainy picture.If you plan to stay here bring higher than 60 watt light bulbs to replace the ones there. I'm all for energy conservation but when you have to turn on ALL the lights to see something tells me you're not conserving anything! They do offer daily "touch up" service by the cleaning staff. There is no room service and if you need toilet paper you need to track down housekeeping or walk to the front desk. I'm giving this a poor value rating due to the noise level I had to endure for a ground floor room. Staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the room first and make sure everything works. Ask also if you are on ground floor if...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Princeton? Share your experiences!