“good price, free breakfast and wifi” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4375 US Route 1 South, Princeton, NJ 08540   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
montreal
“good price, free breakfast and wifi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed here for 2 night last month because I was going to Six Flags in New Jersey. It was situated close to the park (30mins) and served its purpose well. I usually stay at the Staybridge Suites in Cranbury, but for some odd reason, it was full, so I booked here instead. I like that Staybridge Suites offer free full breakfast and wifi, something the Courtyard Marriott did not. This Staybridge Suites was a bit harder to get to then the one in Cranbury and was a bit older. It also had the motor lodge style parking where you park in front of your room instead of near a central entrance. Not sure if I like that or not. We were off to the side and it didn't seem as secure as the well-lit front area. The Hotel is located on the highway and there are lots of amenities nearby, but they are all more easily reached by car than by foot. The hotel did offer a full breakfast buffet that lets you quickly (and at no additional cost), get on the road, well fed.

The room was huge. It had the usual fridge and stove you'd expect from a hotel that caters to businesspeople who stay for a few days, but it had a whole additional bedroom and even a second bathroom. The room had 3 tvs.

Our stay was good. Check-in and check-out were easy, but the person at the counter said to us "ya....nothing bad happened this weekend...it was quiet for once", which made us wonder whether bad things happening is considered the norm around here. There were some suspicious looking characters that seemed to lurking under the stairs when people were loading up their cars to leave at about 11am....maybe they were waiting for someone to leave the cars unlocked. Who knows...

Our stay was great

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed one night with a friend. Hotel is about 15 miles northeast of Trenton. If you travel Route 1 out of Trenton at rush hour the drive seems an interminable nightmare, but after 7 p.m. everything opens up and it's an easy drive. The hotel is somewhat removed from the road, hidden by trees, and the front sign is small and not well lighted, so finding it after dark may be slightly difficult. It is on the southbound side of U. S. Route 1. By the way, if you're using a GPS to locate this hotel, if your unit cannot find "4375 Route 1," try "Highway 1" instead. Luckily ours could also search for nearby hotels by name, allowing us to find it.

Hotel has a series of about eight buildings around a basketball court (not used during our stay) and pool (signs warn there's no lifeguard present; don't leave kids alone!) Grounds were very nicely landscaped and well lit at night. It resembled a condo complex more than a hotel. We had a two-bedroom, two-bath suite with a small living room and kitchenette in between. Each bedroom and the living room had its own television set. The living room had a vcr/dvd player. Our suite was on the second floor. (No elevators, so if climbing stairs is difficult, be sure to request a ground-floor room.) Room was toward the rear of the property and therefore very quiet. Beds were comfortable, air conditioning was responsive. Kitchen (which we didn't use) was fully stocked with glassware, some utensils, microwave, fridge, stove (one electric burner disassembled). Paid $105 including taxes.
Checkin was quick and easy. Front desk clerk spoke quickly with an accent and was difficult to understand, but pleasant and generally efficient.
Slight signs that maintenance is a bit shaky: Outdoor stairway needing a coat of paint; two light fixtures didn't work in the suite.
None of our room phones worked; desk clerk advised unplugging them (unplug a wall phone?!) and then replugging them in, but doing so had no effect and she said she would put in a work order (which, of course, didn't solve the problem and thus we were phoneless except for our own cell phones.)
One other reviewer complained of the 'nubby' towels and wash cloths. I found them quite pleasant to use, rather stimulating although not as soft as "normal" towels and wash cloths, but altogether a plus rather than a minus.
Breakfast is included, and served buffet-style from 6:30 to 9:30 in the "Great Room" near the front desk. It was extensive and ranged from hot oatmeal, pastries, fruit, and cereals to eggs (powdered scrambled eggs that were almost taste-free, or real hard-boiled), sausage links, a wide variety of coffees and teas, several juices, etc. We found it more than sufficient to be able to skip lunch.
For what we paid, we thought this hotel offered exceptional value. As Trenton itself (where we were visiting) has few hotel choices, and those it has are expensive or in "dicey' neighborhoods, this is a good choice, and the presence of other hotels along Route 1 helps keep rates down.
There are no restaurants within walking distance, but there are many along the highway from 1 to 5 miles away.
If you're planning to stay for more than a day to sample the many sights and cultural offerings of Princeton (and Trenton?) this would seem an ideal location that's very competitively priced.

Room Tip: Buildings B and G were furthest from the highway and therefore the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Check in
Cant say it was a huge problem but I said I needed to get to my room right away because I have a conference call that was starting in 2 minutes. Can't say it lit a fire under the woman's butt. She really didn't move with any haste and then wanted to ask the questions like who I was there to visit. It was really annoying.
Plus she tried to tell me my room wasn't ready at just about 4pm in the afternoon.

Room
It was very old and dated looking. As soon as I got in there it just felt dirty to me. They were in need of some serious updating.

TV
My room had 2 old clunker TV's. They were really old CRT TV's. The picture was not that great.

Shower
No real problems and i had hot water pretty fast.

I have had much better food at other Staybridge's before. Plus I'm pretty sure the breakfast made me sick later one day.

Internet
The internet was free and the speed was average. The wireless was spotty at times.

Parking
No problem with finding parking very close to my room.

Exercise room
This was a joke. They had a stair stepper, treadmill and upright bike. That's all.

Area
I found very few very close restaurants. Plus its such a pain in the butt road to drive on. If you miss the hotel you have to drive a good distance to get back.

Overall I wasn't very impressed. I don't think i would plan to stay at this location again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Nothing special, I have stayed at this hotel before, and it was ok but this time it was worse, so bad my co-worker and I moved hotels. 1st the linens are terrible; they are all “pitted” with the little fabric balls on them not smooth, like a wool sweater you accidently put in the dryer and it looks like it needs to be “shaved”. This was on both beds as I am 8 years Platinum with Holiday Inn, so I was upgraded. They could update the TVs since an old 25 inch tube TV really isn’t acceptable any longer.
But the real issue was the unwanted guests…..ANTs!!! I woke up to an army of ants crawling up the curtains and into my bathtub and down the drain. Hard to tell if they were coming up or going down, but it was not what I wanted to wake up to at 6am before a long day of work. This caused us to change hotels to the Holiday Inn across the street, not much better by cleaner and no guests. Plus the location of this hotel stinks, there is nothing within a 10 minute drive. You have to drive to get anything and it took me 30 minutes just to get a pizza delivered even after I contacted the front desk. I will restate what one of the other reviewers said. They staff is soooooo slow and had no knowledge of the area. I live north of this hotel in Jersey City (too long to drive every day so I got a hotel), but I knew more about the area than the lady at the front desk did! Unacceptable. Average at best and a complaint to Holiday Inn Worldwide Priority Club. I received no response from either the hotel or Priority Club which was shocking as I think when Priority Club see my name on an e-mail they just give me points to shut me up. But I also give good reviews when warranted. The Staybridge in Plainfield Indiana fantastic, the Holiday Inn Express in Niles Ohio just awesome!
Thanks
Dan

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Los Alamitos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here 1 night to visit a niece at the university on our way to a family event in Va. We drove to Princeton from JFK Airport upon returning from an overseas vacation and were totally exhausted and jet lagged from being up all night on the plane. We found the personnel to be very friendly, and the suite was clean and comfortable. We were upgraded to a 2-bedroom/2-bath suite although we certainly didn't need the extra space. The bed was quite comfortable, although we didn't sleep very well due to jet lag. In fact, my husband gave up trying to sleep about 1:00 a.m. and went to the laundry room, which was open 24 hrs. We were surprised that use of the machines is free; all the guest has to do is provide the soap or buy some from the front desk. We were also surprised that besides the complimentary breakfast, on some nights they even provide a light dinner free of charge. Fortunately the night we stayed there, a dinner was provided of mac and cheese, salad, and garlic bread. We were very grateful, because we were way too tired to go anywhere else. We did not use the wi-fi or the swimming pool/jacuzzi. This is a great place for a family stay because of the amenities provided and the great value for the money. The location is in a suburban area but very close to downtown Princeton and the university.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I recently stayed there several days for a conference. The hotel rooms are very nice and include a full kitchen, which is good if you will be there for a while. There was very little noise and the rooms were nicely furnished. The only negative was that the person at the front desk tended to be very slow about everything, so check-in and check-out can take a while if you're coming at a crowded time. The continental breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We were headed to Princeton for a graduation and needed a room for 4 adults. This hotel was perfect for 4 adults to each couple to have their own sleeping room. There are newer and nicer hotels in the area, but this hotel was perfect for what we needed. Rooms were clean, but in needing of updating. The full kitchen was nice as we held a small lunch for family one afternoon. The free breakfast and free wireless internet was a huge plus. This was a good hotel in a great location as we made trips to Philly, AC, and NYC. All no more than 2 hours away and were able to make them day trips. Overall, this was the second time I have stayed at this hotel and would stay here again if the situation presented itself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonesta ES Suites Princeton? Share your experiences!