“Good Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Princeton
“Good Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I´ve stay for 5 days in this hotel. It was a good stay for the price. The room is ok, the bed is firm, and the sheets are clean and comfortable. It has a small kitchen, so you can cook easy meals if you like. The staff is friendly. It is in a convenient location if you are driving to Princeton. The area is safe. I stayed on the first floor, a room close to the lobby, so it is nice and you don´t have to use the elevator. The aisles are a bit smelly at times, when people at other rooms are cooking. It is not a fancy hotel, so if you are looking for better quality and services, this hotel maybe not good for you. But if you want to save 30-40 dollars a day compare to other hotels in the area, this hotel is a good option.

Room Tip: Rooms in the first floor are easy to get in and out without using the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor is what I consider bare bones - but fits my needs completely. I have been here for 5 nights, will be leaving on Friday and am pleased with what I've seen so far. The rooms are clean and quiet, the staff is very helpful and friendly and the clientele seems to be the same type of people you would find in any hotel. If one is expecting a pool, work out facility, business center, room service and bar, there are several hotels in the area that provide these additions. I researched the amenities and knew exactly what I was getting which is why I chose to stay at this location.

There is an abundance of shopping and restaurants nearby Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor. You can't walk to get to anything due to the traffic on Route 1, but a 2-4 minute drive and you are to anything you need.

I find it odd that some of the reviews appear to have expected a 5 start hotel at 2 star hotel price. I can assure you, I've stayed at some very exclusive hotels in other cities and have walked into dirty rooms, experienced rude staff and have been disturbed in the middle of the night by loud, drunk and obnoxious tenants.

Room Tip: If you are expecting a lot of amenities, read what this hotel offers and does not offer before booki...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Feburary 2013 until May 2013 for a business trip.

I wouldn't call this hotel or the entire chain extended stay. In this chain and at this location, there isn't a full kitchen. Its the same as getting a regular hotel room with a microwave, hot plate, and larger refrigerator. There is no oven or dishwasher. The "kitchen" sink is tiny. You can't fir the fry pan that comes with the room in the kitchen sink to wash it or let it soak. The two burner stovetop only allow one burner to be on the high setting at one time and the microwave is a 700 watt microwave without a turntable to heat food evenly. How can this be considered an extended stay when the rooms don't have an oven?

The hotel is located next door to a dog kennel and dog training facility. Its impossible to sleep in on a day off because the barking of the dogs reaches 50+ decibels by 8 AM. My room was near the middle of the hotel near the elevators. I can only imaging how loud it is closer to the dog kennel. I actually measured it with a sound level decibel meter.

Behind the hotel is a swamp filled with peep frogs. They are those noisy frogs that make high pitched peeping noises all night. A few people enjoy the noise of them. Most peole hate them because they start at sunset in the spring and keep making noise until sunrise.

The housekeeping staff has much to be desired. if you run out of toilet paper, soap, or tissues, they don't replace it. You have to go to the front desk to get a replacement. I ended up buying my own toilet paper, tissues, and soap to avoid the hassle of going to the front desk. Also, a few times housekeeping knocked on the door when was in the bathroom. They never came back later, so I had to request that housekeeping come back and they couldn't be scheduled to come back until two days after they were originally scheduled. Several times housekeeping ran out of towels. Instead of coming back to the room to give me new towels, I had to go to the front desk to get new towels.

The "grab & go" breakfast consists of oatmeal bars, granola bars, apples, oranges, and blueberry muffins. If you are really lucky and wake up early enough, you might get one of the two banana nut muffins or chocolate muffins they put out for guests. The blueberry muffins are awful. The banana nut muffins are ok.

Several times during my stay, the hot water was shut off without notice. Also both the cold and hot water were shot off once without notice. The hotel staff did not have an estimate of when it would be turned back on. Apparently the plumbing sustem needs repairs.

The free hotel wifi is slightly faster than dialup. If you want useable speeds, you have to pay for the upgraded wifi. Even then Netflix is constantly waiting for content to load, windows updates take forever, and online games are unplayable. The wifi you pay for is the same speed most hotels give you for free. I had a faster internet connection in 2001 than this hotel makes you pay for in 2013.

The hotel locks the front door after dark. You either need a key card or you need to call the fornt desk from the outside phone to get in. The hotel is basically down the street from Trenton, NJ. Trenton is a high crime area, so I know why the hotel locks the front door.

There is a lack of staff at the front desk. Quite often there is a sign up at the front desk asking you to call a certain extension(extension 600) if you need assistance. Sometimes the front desk staff stay in a back office and you have to yell out to get assistance if you hear them in the back office.

There is nothing in walking distance of the hotel except for a car dealership and dog kennel. The grocery stores and shopping centers are across route 1, ut route 1 is a divided highway. You have to drive up to the next exit and turn around to get to them. At the grocery store across route 1, someone hit my car in the parking lot and drove off. The damage was a ruined front fender and damaged passenger side mirror. Apparently, I was told this is not uncommon for this part of NJ.

Many of the guests at the hotel are the rudest people I've met in a hotel so far. Several times I've had drunk hotel guests knocking on my door at 3 AM because they were out with friends partying and came to the wrong room looking for a place to crash. I won’t forget the large, loud woman in a red sequin dress knocking on my door wondering why I was in her friend's room and her being rather loud about it. Then her friend opened the door across the hall.

In summary, its not a bad hotel if you don’t plan to sleep and you don’t need the kitchen.

Room Tip: Stay as far away form the dog kennel as possible. Rooms 232, 233, 332, 333 are best for low barking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Christopher - Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you weren't completely satisfied with your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry about the noise disturbances you experienced throughout the night. We strive to provide a comfortable environment to all of our guests; I am truly saddened we were unable to do that for you. Using your review as an example, I will be coaching our staff on housekeeping best practices and how to handle situations like yours better.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at pww@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'm a returning customer. My stay usually ranges from 1-6 months. A year ago, I was not happy with the condition of the hotel, but since it has been renovated in 2012, I have no complaints at all. The mattress, pillows, sheets, etc. are all clean and comfortable and the covers can be exchanged at the front desk as one sees fit. The bathrooms are now nice and clean as well. The staff is the best, without exaggeration. I have noticed over the years that the receptionists are exceptionally friendly, courteous and helpful. On a few occasions, I had to ask for maintenance (to replace a filter) and the gentleman showed up pronto. I really have nothing negative to report.
It saddens me that the facility is now becoming an all-out non-smoking hotel and for that reason I will have to choose a different ESA to stay, but if it weren't for the new policy, I'd return to this hotel as I did in the past. Granted, there are other properties in the vicinity, but none that give you as much bang for the buck if you prefer to be self-supporting. The hotel is quiet, the residents cause no trouble and unlike another reviewer wrote, I never smelled dope anywhere or encountered unsavory characters. The clientele is very diverse, but I've never encountered a problem or a disturbance. On the contrary, I feel quite safe here, there is no loud music, no loud TVs, no misbehaving guests or anything of the sort.
Overall, the ESA Princeton/WW offers very good value for the money especially in this area which is generally high-priced and efficiency apartments are not only hard to come by, but also generally twice the price of that of this ESA.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's great to hear that your enjoying your stay since our recent renovations. I am sorry that you will be leaving, especially since it is due to our hotel becoming a non-smoking establishment. I'm more than confident that any of our other hotels will be happy and able to accommodate you.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Clean, quiet, well-priced.

Our overall experience was great! The best part of all was the customer service. Phenomenal! Julios was especially helpful...not only in helping us find the hotel after a gps malfunction, but making sure that we had everything we needed.

5 Stars for Julios!

We would have loved a pool, but that would've have just been a bonus!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel is located within walking distance of two major areas shopping mall. It is also fairly close to Princeton University and related institutions of learning. The clientele pool run the gamut of visiting scholars to Princeton University, business men and women, short or mid term contractors on specific jobs, and tourists.

The Hotel is very quiet for its size, and most patrons are engaging and easy going. The atmorsphere is relaxed. The staff, particularly Laquan, Evan (who recently departed to another Extended Stay), and Manager Christine, are very attentive to guests needs, as my experience prove. In some instances, they have gone beyond the call of duty to assist. They are also an attentive ear. And even tough the Hotel has no concierge, they will provide information and advice about local events and places of interest. Overall the staff is young, upcoming, and dedicated. The Hotel is a good value, and New Jersey laws provides a waiver for states and city taxes for stay over 90 days, so be sure to take advantage of this residency waiver is you are to stay long term.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
John D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Please do not stay here. There are many 'clean' and 'smoke free' facilities for the same price in the area as far as if you need a kitchenette or and extended temporary living situation.
Nailed tv to dresser how lovely, cockroach traps under sink, some housekeepers smelling of pot and looking like they just rolled out of bed, the cleanliness is almost non existent. Bring your own cleaning supplies because they don't know what 'clean' is or just don't care. Under the beds are filthy probably never been vacuumed or beds moved for that matter same goes for under their skin area which is not closed in.
If you have allergies this isn't good for the dust factor alone. The pillow cases aren't matched because they don't have enough supply to give a proper replacement. The pillows themselves are the cheapest you can find and knowing how dirty this place is, it's hard to lay your head down into them. Let's just say there is no loft in their feather pillows and the other non feather looks like a hand me down pillow from a family members old bedroom.
The bathroom towels are also the cheapest thinnest kind and are old. There is no fluff at all and are actually a bit rough on the skin.
The kitchen cabinets are of the cheapest white formica you can buy and with it being thin and cheap it scratches and stains very easily. The soap they provide to wash dishes is orange and if any leaks onto the counter and you don't notice right away...will stain the counter as well. Even the coffee spill if not cleaned up immediately will leave a brown stain. I'm not sure about this renovation other people were speaking of last year but if you call what looks like peel stick carpet any kind of renovation you are out of your head. Even if the room carpet isn't peel stick it sure looks it. Some of the windows are broken far as being able to lift them up and have them stay in their tracks. Some of the coffee tables are warped maybe due to either a really bad spilled liquid from previous patrons or just because they are so cheaply put together the formica or veneer like material on the surface is coming apart from the table top..well at least in my room it is. SUPERGLUE please! No oven so it's not a full kitchen nor is there an in sink aerator so make sure you don't clog the kitchen sink. Also no hair catch in the shower..I travel with my own to do everyone a favor. I can go on and on about the room including the vomit yellowish color for wall paint and room decor. It's actually very unappealing. Like I said, I didn't have a choice staying here so I have to live with it. In my own time as a regular traveler, I will never stay at one of these properties and suggest you spend $5 more to get a really decent place to stay. I know there are several in the area and around the country. That's a fact!

The only nice thing I have to say is that the graveyard clerk is very happy and friendly, the clerks Lacquan and Roosevelt are also very helpful. The manager is sweet but she's young and needs much more experience to whip her housekeepers into shape to gain their respect because as I've witnessed it, the conversations are more as if it's family and not a business . Also they should get enough supply so that each room can have matching bedding. That's shameful to not have enough stock to replace 1 matched King sheet set. If you are going to run a successful business those things that seem little or insignificant become the biggest problems overall. Get reliable workers who dress professionally in any position, don't come to work wreaking of pot or giving guests nasty facial smirks or talking inappropriately and loudly to cohorts or counterparts on the job that guests can hear and see. It looks bad and is definitely unprofessional.

Room Tip: Read the review where this tip comes from...actually read several reviews on YELP.com, TripAdvisor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

Been to Extended Stay America - Princeton - West Windsor? Share your experiences!