“Our favorite exotic restaurant -- CLOSED 😒” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cassia Grill
1280 State Route 57, Port Murray, NJ 07865-4040 (Formerly Cliffdale Inn)
908-223-7555
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Northern NJ
“Our favorite exotic restaurant -- CLOSED 😒”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The owner's sons had to return to Turkey for obligations. The owner could not manage restaurant by herself.
Hopefully the sons will return and the restaurant might reopen in near future.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hackettstown, New Jersey
“Interesting, but hit & miss with food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

When I travel to Europe, I expect to spend hours over food; not so much in Warren County, NJ. We went to Cassia Grill today, just before dinnertime (a bit after 5pm) and we didn't get our check until 6:40pm. The staff was very friendly, polite and accommodating (we needed a steak knife for my husband to cut his hamburger), but the kitchen was very, very slow. We waited a while for our basket of bread and oil, but the oil had oregano and three types of olives in it and so was delicious, it helped us ignore the wait. I ordered a zucchini pancake, from the hot appetizer list, for us to share. We would swear they went in the back, picked the vegetable, washed and then shredded it to end up in a soufflé-like batter. It had a mild flavor that was boosted by the yogurt sauce that came on the side (this had too much dill for my husband). It was on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots, which helped to impart texture to it, but it was marred by the molten center, which burned my inner left cheek. We decided to share an entree (at $28, we didn't need to order another entree!) called, Mixed Grill. Since I don't eat read meat, the mixture of chicken, shrimp and shish's worked for us. My three shrimp were nicely marinated and grilled perfectly, however, the surprise I got was the shell was left on. My chicken shish was okay (not evenly cooked; some pieces were moist & juicy, others dry and with a weird texture). The other meats were all over cooked (hence my husband needing that steak knife). We finished with a caramel cake, served warm, without the vanilla ice cream that came with it. We got it to go because we had been at this establishment so long, we were really getting tired. The ambient music was a mix of Bill Withers (Lean On Me) and a French singer I  recognized. In all, it was too loud given that there were three tables of twos (four women and me with my hubby). The decor was dark, with a nod to the fall season and the seating was nice, with an L-shaped shaped leather couch at the top of the bar area. It was a comfortable place, like a house that has been turned into something else. Not sure we would return just for that unpeeled delectable shrimp and certainly not if we have somewhere else to be on a schedule. Not worth going out of the way for, but I appreciate that this place is here!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Fresh and Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We have been to this wonderful little restaurant several times and have not been disappointed. The appetizers, main courses and desserts are freshly made and have interesting and delicate fresh herb and spice flavorings - just delicious. Well worth the trip to find this out-of-the way but welcoming restaurant.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milford, NJ
“Unexpectedly good restaurant for all tastes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This restaurant is difficult to find, it looks more like a private residence. However it is worth finding and even going out of your way for. It is nicely appointed, and very clean. Although it bills itself as "Turkish", the cuisine appeals to all. The food was freshly prepared, very good and inexpensive. You can bring your own bottle and that creates even more value for your dollar. We had fried mussels as an appetizer, shish kabob and lemon chicken as entrees and excellent baklava and homemade chocolates for dessert.
The dinner costs about $25- per person - can't beat that for a delicious homemade meal.
Server was attentive and very pleasant. Will go back without hesitation.

• Visited August 2011
Northern NJ
“Unexpected, Wonderful and Reasonable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

This is the 3rd time my wife and I have dined in Cassia Grill., once just us, twice with friends. There is a huge choice of appetizer including delicious fried mussels. Portions are large, and if you plan on dessert, don't order too many appetizers. So far, between my wife, myself and several friends, we've ordered a variety of main dishes: Chicken Shish, Lamb Shish, Lemon Chicken, shrimp casserole (wow!). This is a quiet place, simple and very comfortable. The cuisine is Turkish and brilliantly prepared. BYOB thereby saving $$.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Cassia Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.