“Disappointed in Amethyst” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amethyst Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Point Pleasant Beach
Amethyst Beach Motel
You added Amethyst Beach Motel to your Saves list
202 Arnold Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742   |
NEWTON
“Disappointed in Amethyst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My sister and I and 3 grandkids (14,10,8) stayed 2 nights mid-week at the Amethyst. The charge was over $400.00 which included a $10 a day charge for parking my car. On the pro side the staff was friendly and the room was clean. The beach was about a 7 min. walk from the hotel but we ended up paying for parking closer to the beach because there was a lot to carry: 2 chairs, umbrella, towels, etc. We were mostly disappointed in the room. I've stayed in shore rooms before so knew it wasn't going to be 4 or 5 star. But the room was very small. The bathroom had no towel racks or even a cabinet to put toiletries, no place to hang a wet bathing suit. There was a microwave and small frig but no table to eat on or play games. I would not stay here again nor recommend it to a friend. We did find another motel that we would book for next summer.

Room Tip: First floor better than second, more places to sit and tables.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, as we recover from Hurricane Sandy we have overlooked some items in rooms and your towel rack was indeed one of them which has been corrected. Our location in the heart of Point Pleasant Beach provides for easy access to downtown eateries and Jenkisons and Martels. We do have a shuttle which guests can request when loaded down with beach accessories and kids.

The Jersey Shore needs everyone’s support as needless to say it’s been a difficult year for the Jersey Shore and the survival of the lodging industry at the Shore is in Jeopardy. We need each of our customers understanding and support as making your stay with us being a great one is our goal.

Short seasons coupled with the high cost of government, taxes and storms are making it so very difficult for seasonal business at the Jersey Shore to continue.

Stronger than the Storm! We don’t think so!
A better motto would be “The Jersey Shore Forever”

Thanks again to all our customers and please tell your friends to support the Jersey Shore Lodging industry; we are offering great rates and promotions in an effort to save our industry.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Only 2 blocks from the boardwalk but the outside of the hotel needs work. It is very dated and needs some sprucing up. The rooms and the grounds were clean. Bagels and coffee for breakfast was nothing special. I would stay here again just for the location.

• Stayed August 2013
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks you for your comments and we agree with your observations. As we continue to recover from Hurricane Sandy we have focused on the most critical areas our rooms and patio first while we continue to move towards updating the exterior as well. I

t is a critical time for seasonal business in the 21st century economy with escalating costs and a very short season.

We do have a great location in the heart of Point Pleasant Beach, which provides for easy access to downtown eateries and Jenkisons and Martels. We alos have a shuttle which guests can request when loaded down with beach accessories and kids.

All of us at the Jersey Shore needs everyone’s support as it’s been a difficult year for us. The survival of the lodging industry at the Shore is in Jeopardy. We need each of our customers understanding and support as you are customers are ultimately the most important part of why we continue to push ahead.

Stronger than the Storm! We don’t think so!
A better motto would be “The Jersey Shore Forever”

Flemington, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My Family has been coming to this Motel every year for the last 16 years!

Best Motel ever, with amazing staff who are so accomodating! It's our home away from home, we travel with another family as well

They have grills there for cooking, so you don't have to eat out and we love our efficiency room as well with a kitchen

The Hyndshaw Family

Pittstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My family and friends have been staying at the Amethyst for the past 10 years. Service is excellent and courteous. We like the barbeques and efficiency rooms. Just need to make sure all are in operating order. We walk to the stores nearby to buy what we are making for dinner that night and have a nice meal to eat at tables on the patio. There is continental breakfast every morning with coffee, tea, bagels and muffins. My kids love the pool. It is close to the boardwalk and beach. There is never a question as to where are going to stay.

East Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First of all, this is a Jersey Shore motel. If you're looking for something fancy, I'm not sure you're gonna find it anywhere on the shore. But if you're just looking for a place in a good location in PP to just crash for a night or two, this place is decent enough.

Booked a one night mid-week stay online for myself and my girlfriend as I gave her a tour of the Jersey Shore (she'd never been). Booking process went fine, but then the hotel e-mailed me a PDF confirmation that they wanted me to print, sign, and fax back to them. Not sure why this was necessary. However, the confirmation did point out additional charges for parking and a "resort fee" so FYI the price you thought the room cost isn't the final price.

99% of the people that are going to stay at a motel in Point Pleasant are going to be driving and will need to park their car, so charging $10 a day to park on top of the room charge is ridiculous. They tell you that you can opt out of this charge if you can find a parking spot on the street, but if you've ever been to Point Pleasant you know this is easier said then done.

Another additional charge is a "resort fee" of $7.85 per room (I assume per night) which includes discounted beach badges as well as use of barbeque grills, Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, and in-room fridge. All, with the possible exception of the beach badges, should be included in the price of the room. You can opt out of this fee as well and we did. Didn't realize the fridge was part of the deal, but fortunately I had a cooler.

As for our stay, we were pleasantly surprised by the living quarters of the motel. The beds were comfortable, furnishings were modern, a/c was strong - actually had to turn it down a bit. The one drawback was the complete lack of any accessible wall outlets. Only one we could find was next to the sink in the bathroom, which is fine for a hair dryer, not so much for charging cell phones. Speaking of the bathroom - here's where the place could really use some help. The shower was decent enough, though the spray could have been a bit better, but the wall tiles were a mess - cracked, missing, etc. Maybe they still haven't completed fixing the place up from hurricane Sandy damage.

The best thing about the hotel by far is the location. It is 2 blocks from the heart of the boardwalk, so Jenkinsons, Martels Tiki Bar, and all the boardwalk rides/games are just a short walk away - as is downtown Point Pleasant in the other direction.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I have been coming to this Motel for the past 14 years and we love it. It's very family oriented, clean and the service is excellent. The staff is courteous and goes out of their way to accomodate the guests. My kids love the heated pool (which is very clean) and I like the use of the barbecues!! I can't wait to go back in August! It's also very close to the Boardwalk, walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

First, I have to say that I have been a loyal customer of this establishment and debated whether to write this review or not. There are too many incidences to not share. I'm hoping this review can spur some change to make me come back again. I have stayed at the hotel for over 5 years and this was the first time I was thoroughly disappointed in my stay.

Our trip first started with a smooth check-in and fast service. Upon checking in to our room, we recieved our WIFI password and keys. We arrived in our room and at first glance the rooms were fine. My nephew used the bathroom to change into his swimsuit and got locked in because the door knob was broken. We then requested help from the desk where the women handed us a pin and said this should fix it. It did not and when we asked for additional help we were made to feel as if we were asking for an extraordinary amount of help. I had a 10 year old locked in a bathroom with limited AC...to me this should be a priority. Upon getting the maintenance person to help us I asked to have the knob replaced. His response was "the best I can do is WD40 it, I'm not replacing the knob". As you can imagine this was unacceptable. I went to the front desk where I was told it was our fault it was locking and "just don't lock the door".

For the money I spent this was ridiculous. I then entered the bathroom and upon shutting the door it locked on its own and I was also locked in. I thankfully could yell out the small window to get help. within 30 minutes of our arrival all fo this happened with limited to no support from the staff. Not one aplolgy was made for our inconvenience and we were made to feel we were at fault. As you can imagine, I made them remvoe the door knob and replace it which took over a day fix.

In addition to the first day escapades, our housekeeping services were horrendous. I came back to a room with one bed made and the other barely done. our pillows were on the floor, the bathroom floor had sand still and when we checked out I found the horrors under the bed. We checked to ensure the kids didn't leave any toys behind, instead we found cereal (we didnt' eat cereal), a beer bottle (we didnt' drink beer) and more crumbs than you could imagine. It was disgusting.

Part of the reason I stay here is because the location is convenienct and the service was never an issue. Next year I am find a new hotel becaus this stay was too much. I hope the issues can get fixed but it will take a while for me to ever stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal customer over the years,

Please accept our sincerest apologies; we have taken care to correct all of the issues you have raised as we never want any of our customers to have anything but a great stay, management has contacted you and we hope we can have you return for a very happy stay in the near future.

Mistakes do happen and when they occur we will always try to resolve them quickly, we have taken steps to address this with our staff, however in their defense, I can only say they have been working so hard since Sandy and the incredible heat wave which occurred however that does not excuse anything less than courteous helpful service.

Please consider our offer to return as we will assure you of a good stay.

Owner, Amethyst Management and Family

Been to Amethyst Beach Motel? Share your experiences!