“Hard to Beat the Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amethyst Beach Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Point Pleasant Beach
Amethyst Beach Motel
You added Amethyst Beach Motel to your Saves list
202 Arnold Avenue, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742   |
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Hard to Beat the Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

First of all, this is a Jersey Shore motel. If you're looking for something fancy, I'm not sure you're gonna find it anywhere on the shore. But if you're just looking for a place in a good location in PP to just crash for a night or two, this place is decent enough.

Booked a one night mid-week stay online for myself and my girlfriend as I gave her a tour of the Jersey Shore (she'd never been). Booking process went fine, but then the hotel e-mailed me a PDF confirmation that they wanted me to print, sign, and fax back to them. Not sure why this was necessary. However, the confirmation did point out additional charges for parking and a "resort fee" so FYI the price you thought the room cost isn't the final price.

99% of the people that are going to stay at a motel in Point Pleasant are going to be driving and will need to park their car, so charging $10 a day to park on top of the room charge is ridiculous. They tell you that you can opt out of this charge if you can find a parking spot on the street, but if you've ever been to Point Pleasant you know this is easier said then done.

Another additional charge is a "resort fee" of $7.85 per room (I assume per night) which includes discounted beach badges as well as use of barbeque grills, Wi-Fi, continental breakfast, and in-room fridge. All, with the possible exception of the beach badges, should be included in the price of the room. You can opt out of this fee as well and we did. Didn't realize the fridge was part of the deal, but fortunately I had a cooler.

As for our stay, we were pleasantly surprised by the living quarters of the motel. The beds were comfortable, furnishings were modern, a/c was strong - actually had to turn it down a bit. The one drawback was the complete lack of any accessible wall outlets. Only one we could find was next to the sink in the bathroom, which is fine for a hair dryer, not so much for charging cell phones. Speaking of the bathroom - here's where the place could really use some help. The shower was decent enough, though the spray could have been a bit better, but the wall tiles were a mess - cracked, missing, etc. Maybe they still haven't completed fixing the place up from hurricane Sandy damage.

The best thing about the hotel by far is the location. It is 2 blocks from the heart of the boardwalk, so Jenkinsons, Martels Tiki Bar, and all the boardwalk rides/games are just a short walk away - as is downtown Point Pleasant in the other direction.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I have been coming to this Motel for the past 14 years and we love it. It's very family oriented, clean and the service is excellent. The staff is courteous and goes out of their way to accomodate the guests. My kids love the heated pool (which is very clean) and I like the use of the barbecues!! I can't wait to go back in August! It's also very close to the Boardwalk, walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

First, I have to say that I have been a loyal customer of this establishment and debated whether to write this review or not. There are too many incidences to not share. I'm hoping this review can spur some change to make me come back again. I have stayed at the hotel for over 5 years and this was the first time I was thoroughly disappointed in my stay.

Our trip first started with a smooth check-in and fast service. Upon checking in to our room, we recieved our WIFI password and keys. We arrived in our room and at first glance the rooms were fine. My nephew used the bathroom to change into his swimsuit and got locked in because the door knob was broken. We then requested help from the desk where the women handed us a pin and said this should fix it. It did not and when we asked for additional help we were made to feel as if we were asking for an extraordinary amount of help. I had a 10 year old locked in a bathroom with limited AC...to me this should be a priority. Upon getting the maintenance person to help us I asked to have the knob replaced. His response was "the best I can do is WD40 it, I'm not replacing the knob". As you can imagine this was unacceptable. I went to the front desk where I was told it was our fault it was locking and "just don't lock the door".

For the money I spent this was ridiculous. I then entered the bathroom and upon shutting the door it locked on its own and I was also locked in. I thankfully could yell out the small window to get help. within 30 minutes of our arrival all fo this happened with limited to no support from the staff. Not one aplolgy was made for our inconvenience and we were made to feel we were at fault. As you can imagine, I made them remvoe the door knob and replace it which took over a day fix.

In addition to the first day escapades, our housekeeping services were horrendous. I came back to a room with one bed made and the other barely done. our pillows were on the floor, the bathroom floor had sand still and when we checked out I found the horrors under the bed. We checked to ensure the kids didn't leave any toys behind, instead we found cereal (we didnt' eat cereal), a beer bottle (we didnt' drink beer) and more crumbs than you could imagine. It was disgusting.

Part of the reason I stay here is because the location is convenienct and the service was never an issue. Next year I am find a new hotel becaus this stay was too much. I hope the issues can get fixed but it will take a while for me to ever stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal customer over the years,

Please accept our sincerest apologies; we have taken care to correct all of the issues you have raised as we never want any of our customers to have anything but a great stay, management has contacted you and we hope we can have you return for a very happy stay in the near future.

Mistakes do happen and when they occur we will always try to resolve them quickly, we have taken steps to address this with our staff, however in their defense, I can only say they have been working so hard since Sandy and the incredible heat wave which occurred however that does not excuse anything less than courteous helpful service.

Please consider our offer to return as we will assure you of a good stay.

Owner, Amethyst Management and Family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have been going to the Amethyst for 4 years now, and have always had a pleasant experience. There was only 1 time we had any noise near the pool, but our sound machine helped drown out some of the sounds. Otherwise, it has been nothing but a nice and clean place to spend your time with 3 kids. The staff is wonderful, and it has been a pleasure dealing with Teresa the owner. Everyone is very accomodating and pleasant, the pool is clean, there's off street parking and you can walk to the boardwalk without moving your car. We will be vacationing at the Amethyst for years to come.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
sandtraveller, Owner at Amethyst Beach Motel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for the positive review it is so important that customers such as yourself take the time to support and write about your experiences at the Jersey Shore.

Stronger than the Storm! We don’t think so!
A better motto would be “The Jersey Shore Forever”

Thanks again to all our customers and please tell your friends to support the Jersey Shore Lodging industry, we are offering great rates and promotions in an effort to save our industry.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Everything at Amethyst was very nice, especially the people. Its an older, family ran, small town hotel in a great location. We felt very at home there. So happy that they survived Sandy and were able to provide us a wonderful home away from home. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Offering Great Rates and Promotions in an effort to save our industry.

Thank you so much for the positive review and support of lodging at the Jersey Shore.
It is so important that customers such as yourself take the time to support and write about your experiences at the Jersey Shore.

The Jersey Shore needs everyone’s support as needless to say it’s been a difficult year for the Jersey Shore and the survival of the lodging industry at the Shore is in Jeopardy. Short seasons coupled with the high cost of government, taxes and storms are making it so very difficult.
Stronger than the Storm! We don’t think so! A better motto would be “The Jersey Shore Forever”

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Always a great time. Reliable service!! The pool is fantastic and the rooms are always clean. The motel isn't too far from the boardwalk or the beach. The staff is very nice and helpful. We also love the complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013
Offering Great Rates and Promotions in an effort to save our industry

CSporer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is our second visit to the Amethyst. I can't say enough good things. We have already booked two more nights in September.

The motel is set up perfect for families. They have a beautiful and immaculate patio where you can spend your afternoon swimming in their pool (which was freshly painted since last year), lounging on the lounge chairs (nice wooden ones with cushions) or grilling your lunch and then dining on one of their clean, nice tables. The atmosphere outside is safe and family oriented. I was not afraid to leave our towels or swim suits out to dry.

The rooms are shore motel rooms. This is not the Four Season's or even The Hampton Inn but if you are only looking for comfortable, clean rooms that are close to the beach then you will not be disappointed.

The tile when you first walk in and the carpets are brand new. The bed was covered with white linen's that smelled freshly laundered. The furniture is new and the walls are freshly painted. They have a small refrigerator and microwave so we were able to bring food to save money. You can also use their grill. They have cable t.v with all the stations and a nice cool A.C.

The shower area in the bathroom is brand new but the floor is old, original. It could use some updating.

If you have small children I would recommend that you request a first floor room. They do not have an elevator and it is a pain to lug all of your belongings up and down (we had this problem last year). This year we were poolside, room 107. It was much easier.

I only have three small complaints.
1. The bathroom floor really could use some work. I know it's not dirty but the tiles are showing their age so it doesn't feel as clean as the other flooring.
2. The continental breakfast is abysmal. We just used the coffee and brought our own breakfast.
3. They make you leave their parking lot as soon as you check out. It would be nice to be able to have use of the lot until the end of the calendar day so you can just walk to the boardwalk without having to pay to park.

Room Tip: If you have small children or a lot of luggage you should request a first floor room. 101, 102, 103...