“Aversge hotel but you pay $ for location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Pelican Point Motel to your Saves list
Pelican Point Motel
210 Arnold Ave., Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742 (Formerly Colonial Motel)   |
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Aversge hotel but you pay $ for location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

5 minute walk to boardwalk. Good parking on site was free. Wifi worked sometimes. Good pool but cold although guests were swimming. Old tube style Tv and cable was just ok. Mini fridge in room and microwave. Beds are old as was room and bathroom.
Bottom line: your paying for location. It works for a night or two if you aren't fussy but it's no Hilton and barely meets Motel 6 standards. I'd come here again cauz it's adequate and just what I needed but the price is out there.

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Voorhees, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Recently stayed at Pelican Point over this past weekend (Aug 17 to Aug 19, 2012) and had a 2 night stay in the 2 bedroom suite. I do have to say that the pictures of this place make it look better than it is. The staff was okay but seemed a little unorganized.

We arrived about 11AM on Friday (check in wasn't until 2PM, which we knew) but wanted to see if we could get some beach tags and pay the second half of the room balance before we hit the beach. At first we were told the tags were $3 each, so I went back outside to collect the money and when I came back in 2 minutes later there was another lady at the desk who told me the beach tags were $4 each. I paid the extra money and went on with our day.

When we came back from the beach and went to get the room key, we were told that there was a mix up with the rooms but they had it figured out and we were in Room 26. The lady then told us to make sure that we do not have too much plugged in at one time because the circuit breaker for that room will trip. For example, if we need to use a blow dryer we have to turn off the AC unit or the television first. Also, if we trip the circuit breaker after 3AM when no one is there, we are out of luck and electricity until morning..... Awesome.

We went up to our Room 26 and unlocked the door and there was luggage already in there! So I went back downstairs and explained the situation ... twice ... and apparently the front desk had the books all messed up because of the previous mess up with the rooms that they had "figured out." Finally I got 2 keys for Room 25 (right next door, same room set up) which was currently being cleaned so we had to wait another 20 minutes for our room. In the end I am kind of grateful it worked out the way it did with the rooms because we definitely would have blown a fuse in the other room with all of our iPhone chargers, blow dryers, both AC units running AND the television on!

As for the motel itself.. I didn't hate it. The rooms were very clean and both televisions and AC units worked. The bathroom was a lot cleaner than I had expected for a motel at that price. I was actually very pleased to see there was a refrigerator that actually kept things cold and a microwave to heat up our leftover dinner. The closets were pretty large as well. I can't say the beds and pillows were of great quality (the pillow still had a $9.99 Kohl's tag on it) and I think my spine is still recovering from two nights in those beds.. But I saw no issue with the sheets or comforter.

I give this motel a 3 out of 5 simply because of the issues on the first day. If that didn't happen I probably would have given a 4 out of 5. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back on the 2nd floor! It was always very noisy in the front of the motel near...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
thebigmoose, Owner at Pelican Point Motel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Well let's be honest, the reservation was made for four adults and when they arrived there were six adults, I explained to them that normally we do not allow six adults in the room but I would make an exception at no additional charge. With that I merely suggested that if they were all going to be using blow dryers and cell phones to please turn off the television or the A/C for a few minutes. Two A/C, two televisions, a refrigerator, a microwave, cell phones, blow dryers and lights are a bit too much the circuit breaker to handle. I honestly don't think that was an unreasonable request. So glad to hear that the room and bathroom were clean our staff makes every effort to ensure cleanliness. Also glad to hear that you will be coming back. Thank you.
Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed there for 4th of July weekend! It was the cleanest motel that I have ever stayed at. Very spacious and the people that worked there were extremely friendly! I loved it so much that I am going back for Labor Day Weekend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Now the PELICAN POINT MOTEL, this place is a dump.

The only plus I would give this hotel is the location,1½ blocks from the boardwalk. Everything else goes downhill from here. The rooms are dirty, with wallpaper peeling off the walls. The pool fenced area is so small that [3] sides are for walking only & there’s no room for chairs. The parking lot is loaded with huge potholes and the outside needs a good cleaning also. We will not return. For $228.00 a night for a single room with tax, its wayyyyyyyyy overpriced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark P, Owner at Pelican Point Motel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Sorry that you were unhappy with you stay. The pelican point motel is a family operated business and we try to satisfy all of our customers. The issues that were mentioned in the above review have been addressed to insure that our future guests are satisfied.
Secaucus, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We recently visited the hotel this July and booked it based on pictures and location. We arrived and the room was tiny, outdated, and had dirty sheets and comforter. When we complained, the manager gave us a better room (but not much) and said we had to pay more for the better room! We managed to stay a few hours but couldn't sleep the night...too scieved! Thanks for ruining my weekend! I should have got some money back, instead of spending $200 for 3 hours!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mark P, Owner at Pelican Point Motel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Wow !!!! When customer was checking in it was apparent that they we're upset about something and didn't want to be in Point Pleasant before they ever go to their room. The room they were given was a room that was recently renovated and they said that the sheets were dirty. I immediately went to the room to check out the situation however I saw absolutely nothing excels a tiny black spot which looked as though it was a pencil mark. In any event my goal is to make my customers as happy as can be. I offered to move them to one of our newer upgraded rooms for an minimal additional charge. I handed them the key and asked them to let me know what they were going to do, either accept that room or I was willing to issue a refund for their one night reservation. I never hear from them again until I went up to the room an hour later and the women said everything was great "thank you so much". They say they did not stay the night but I saw them in the pool with their children the next morning ? I would like anybody who reads these revues to know that we are sold out almost every night in the summer and it is unfortunate that only a handful of people who have an complaint are the ones willing to make the negative reviews. That's a real shame !
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This place really is an unorganized dump of a motel. My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Pelican Point Motel for a night on 9/17/2011. We were visiting Point Pleansant Beach on the weekend that happened to coincide with the Seafood Festival, so most hotels/motels were sold out and this was one of the few that still had availability and didn’t require a two-night minimum stay (we were only staying for one night).

Right from the start, things were pretty disastrous. Upon arrival, there were no employees anywhere to check us in at the motel. The front door was locked, and we rang the doorbell several times, but nobody answered. We called the motel phone number, and the lady that answered told us somebody would be down in a minute…nobody came. We called again, and the lady on the phone said she was trying to get in touch with the front desk employee. The cell phone number of the front desk employee was taped to the front door, so we called that as well and it went straight to voicemail. We called again, and finally got an answer – the front desk lady told me we were booked for room 22, the door was unlocked, and the key was in the room. She told me that she was down at the Seafood Festival and wasn’t going to be back for another hour or so. So essentially, the door to the room that we paid for was unlocked and the key was inside, and there were no employees anywhere near the motel, and nobody would be back for another hour.

So we go to the room, and the door is unlocked, so we drop our stuff off and check out the room…but there's no key inside. We called the lady back AGAIN, and there seems to be a lot of confusion about who has the key to the room. As we’re speaking on the phone, two other random motel guests knock on our door – they mention they think the room is theirs also, and they have the key! Apparently, they had stayed in room 22 the previous night, and had decided to stay an extra day. They had talked directly to the owner, while we were talking to the deadbeat ‘front desk’ employee (I think her name was Anna) who was at the Seafood Festival. The other guests were nice though, and actually gave us they key, and talked with the motel owner to rearrange their room for the night. The guests were much more helpful than the actual employees. In fact, the only time the front desk lady checked in with us was around 8:00 PM, when she stopped by our room, and knocked loudly on our door, despite the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign we had put on our room as we were napping! She managed not only to provide no help, but actually was proactive in being a nuisance. Pretty unbelievable.

Beyond the atrocious customer service, the room was terrible. There were three lights in the room, but only one of them actually worked, and it was not an overhead light/nowhere near the bed (it also wasn’t near the front door, so we couldn’t just flip it on as we walked in). The bathroom door had just a knob, and had no locking mechanism. The sheets were grimy and had a clear cigarette burn through them (even though it was a non-smoking room). There also was no way to turn up the heat in the room, and the sink looked like a urinal. The shower itself was even worse…it looked gross, and we didn’t use it (they didn’t have shampoo in the room, even if we did want to use it). The room also didn’t have a hair dryer, and there was a hole in the wall where the front door knob had hit the wall, and it was crudely covered by clear packing tape. Real classy.

Also, on a side note, our friends stayed in a separate room as well, and their room had no remote for the TV, so they couldn't change channels for the night, and were stuck watching one channel (since it had a cable converter, you couldn’t change the channel without the remote).

Ironically, although they left the room that we paid for unlocked, the ice machine was thoroughly locked up, and since there weren’t any employees around, we couldn't get any ice for the night either. The people at the hotel (mostly in their 40s and 50s) were drinking/smoking constantly outside...which actually was fine (they all seemed perfectly nice), but the walls didn't keep any noise out, and you could hear everything going on in the motel complex all night and all morning. That made sleeping difficult, especially since the room’s mattress provided one of the most uncomfortable sleeping experiences we've ever had.

That all said, the motel was absurdly overpriced and probably one of the worst hotel experiences I’ve ever had. It was the type of place that high school kids scrape money together to stay at for prom weekend. Honest to God, if the price to stay again were 25 bucks, me and my girlfriend would still rather just sleep in the car. Don’t stay at this place if you have any other option (like sleeping in a car).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

I stayed for a few nights in August, 2011 based on good reviews indicating "clean". It is a very dated motel. We stayed in a suite on the second floor. Many other groups of people who stay there played loud music just outside the rooms for all to have to hear. Another group overtook pool area. My teenage girls wanted no part of any of it.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pelican Point Motel? Share your experiences!