“OB Diner is Closed” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Point Pleasant, New Jersey, United States
“OB Diner is Closed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It was a decent diner, but it's closed now.

I need to write 100 characters so I will ask Trip Advisor to add a flag to say something is closed and I don't have to waste my time typing this in order to help others!

Visited May 2012

Brick NJ
“Diner Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

food is OK. Some service not real efficient, Great desserts. Good parking but no view. Senior specials and daily specials are reasonable.

Visited August 2012
Cobleskill
“Hostess with the leastest”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I had two bad experiences at the OB Diner in one day and will not be returning. My family was in the Point Pleasant area for a memorial service and we met at the OB Diner for breakfast. The building was certainly not like I remembered it from my last visit a decade ago. I remembered the stereotypical well-kept New Jersey Diner with too large of a menu and good food. Nothing fancy, but good. The intervening decade was certainly hard on the OB Diner. The seats were ripped, the bathroom was beyond gross but the food seemed relatively edible. Considering, the ownership’s lack of concern for upkeep and cleanliness in the front of the restaurant, I wondered whether the kitchen was straight out of an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.
Regardless, it was fine until I tried to pay my bill with my debit card. I knew there was money in my account but when the hostess swiped my card it came up declined. She rudely tapped her hand on the declined receipt. Upon asking her to reswipe, she tried again but the card didn’t work she gave me a look and said something under her breath. I went and got cash from my family and attempted to pay the check. She had misplaced the check in the intervening three minutes and yelled at me for hiding it. After she found the check, I paid and was on my way. I didn’t want to make a scene with my family on a somber day, so I let it go. Later in the day I checked my bank account and to my chagrin, I realized that my debit card had worked at the OB Diner and the problem was with their card scanner. In the hostess’s defense, she did reverse charges on my card but it didn’t make up for her mean, rude and disgusting demeanor while checking me out.
Then the fun began…. My step-father had previously set up a meeting after our family’s memorial service with a college friend that he hadn’t seen in 50 years at you guessed it…. the OB Diner. My wife and I left for an hour for them to get reacquainted. We came back to pick my step-father up and upon leaving the diner we tried to pay for their beverages. A twenty dollar bill was handed over to the hostesses and everyone was talking so we didn’t watch what she did with the bill. The hostess then asked for money for the check and we told her that we had already given her a $20 bill. She informed us that that was impossible, she never made a mistake and ALWAYS put $20 and larger bills on top of her open drawer. A 10 minute diatribe about how she ALWAYS handled money in the same way and how dare we question her infallibility ensued. Additionally while this was happening, my wife overheard a waitress say “oh no not again” to another server. It was finally decided that it wasn’t worth disagreeing with an obviously perfect woman so we went on our way.
We were outside trying to salvage the 50 year reunion when a waitress came outside and said that she found the $20 bill under the cash register. The hostess didn’t come out and apologize, so I went into the restaurant and asked if she wanted to explain her infallibility to me now. I did not yell but I did use my best teacher scolding tone and the hostess came unglued. I went back outside and she followed me outside and started yelling “who do you think you are,” “how dare you” and other things at me across the parking lot. I just started laughing at her and her handler put her leash on and brought her back inside.
The OB Diner needs to control this person, or at least transfer her job function. If you read any of the reviews online, a common them is their disgusting bathrooms, so maybe she could clean them for her job. If she is an owner, then maybe it is time to pick a less customer service oriented business to work in.

Visited September 2012
new york city
“Good Greasy Jersey Diner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Everything you expect from a good old school Diner, not updated or fancy but most of the dishes are delicious, we call it the greasy diner cause everything tastes so good, but it can't be good for you! Still a mainstay in the Point Pleasant experience!

Visited August 2012
Lakehurst, New Jersey
“Our first OB Diner experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I recently went to the diner on a Thursday morning. I've known of this diner for decades, but had never gone there. Diners are known for their good food and not so much for ambiance (except for the retro diners). We are Ocean county residents and are very easy to please when eating out or on vacation. However, I have to agree with the negative comments of the people who have gone to this diner for decades. The food, service, and appearance are sub par. It took quite a while to get our breakfast and when we did it was not hot. I ate mine, but my wife sent hers back to get it warmed up. That took much longer than it should have. Mind you, this was during a very slow time. I shudder to think what must happen there on a summer Saturday night when the joint is probably really jumpin'. Maybe that crowd is too "happy" to notice. My wife said the ladie's room was gross with one stall having the toilet seat detached and one with no toilet paper. We wouldn't go back there if the food was free.

• Visited July 2012