“Never Stay Here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Atlantic City West

You added Howard Johnson Atlantic City West to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Atlantic City West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8029 Black Horse Pike, Pleasantville, NJ 08232 (Formerly Atlantic City Lakes Bay Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Pleasantville
PITTSBURGH
“Never Stay Here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel feels like it has been shut down for years and I was the first person to enter that room and sleep in it. There was mold and mildew all over the walls. The hallways smelled terrible and so did the room. Everything was musty. Couldn't even open the windows to air the room out at all. The water came out brown from the sink and the tub/shower. The price seemed reasonable at check-in, approx. $55/night. After completing my stay, you couldn't pay me $55/night to stay in this hotel ever again. The chairs, bedding, and carpeting was so dirty it was disgusting. This was a very bad choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Ya W, Manager at Howard Johnson Atlantic City West, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us your feedback. I apologize that your experience is anything less than satisfying. We are aware of the problems you metioned, and we are working on addressing those issues with priority. On the day you stayed in our hotel, our maintenance team just shut the pipe for mainterance purpose, that is why the water came out brown for first few minutes. But this will not happen again. We have re-inforced our cleaning team so that our hotel will be maintained clean all the time.
Again, thank you for your feedback, which assits us improving our service and property on daily basis. And I hope that there will be another opportunity that we could provide you a better service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
BALTIMORE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Nice hotel, good location but rooms and hallways could be a little cleaner . . . did not like entering through the back entrance, door was to be locked and only card holders to use but door was sitting wide open with access to anyone . . did not like that

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to give us the feedback concerning your stay at Howard Johson West Atlantic City. Your advice and opinion are very valuable and helpful to us. We have re-organized our hotel's cleaning team, which will definitely do a better job in cleaning. The back entrance door has been fixed already. Now it will close automatically , and can only be open with guest room keys.
Again, thank your for your comments. We will do our best to make each and and every guest experience the best it can be
GLASGOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel itself was in a great location ,but it could have stood for better cleanliness and hospitality.great price as well,enjoyed our vacation anyways but we understood that the building was under remodeling and new management but if you want others to stay there hopefully there will be some new and improved changes .Thank You.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking time to give us your comment regarding your recent stay with Howard Johnson West Atlantic City. Yes, the hotel is now under new ownership and new management. We are diligently working on improving our service and our property. To make each and every guest experience the best it can be is always our goal. Your feedback is extremely important for the new owner and new management to take action to solve the problems. Thank you again, and we are looking to provide you a better service in the future.
GLASGOW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

It was comfy.
The halls weren't clean the whole time. A cricket and string were in the hall way the whole time we were there, which we stayed for 4 days.
Location was excellent for the beach. Didn't take long to get there.

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for staying with Howard Johnson Hotel at West Altantic City,NJ. We know that you have a choice of which hotel to stay, and we are delighted that you have chosen ours. Your comment is very important to us. We have re-organized our hotel cleaning team to make sure that our hotel is maintained in a clean condition all the time.
Thank you for staying with us. We are looking to provide a better service to you in the future.
BROOKLYN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I think who ever took over this property over should remodel the entire building the mold smell is awful. I suffer from asthma and I had a awful stay. When I reported this to the front desk I was told the entire building smells of mold the only thing could be done was for me to check out. If that's the case you should close down. You could not identify the staff hotel employees are normally uniformed the staff didn't wear name tags it was just a mess. How do you work in the hotel industry and have on shorts, sandals, tee shirts? I would like to be refunded for my 2 days

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback concerning your stay at our hotel. I apologize that your experience is not pleasant. Your feedback is extremly important and valuable. We are actually now working on the issues you mentioned above. We are doing deep cleaning of our hotel, and our uniforms for hotel staffs have also been ordered.
Thank you again for giving us your comment. We hope to provide you a better service next time.
NUTLEY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when I pulled up to the hotel. If I could have cancelled on the spot and got my money back right then I would. This hotel was deceiveing in a lot of ways. I booked on line and the pictures of the hotel were NOT of this hotel. Apparently this was a hotel of a different name that Howard Johnson is now taking over. A tarp was covering the original name of the hotel (very tacky) the grounds were horribly kept, weeds, garbage, people in the back working on something making lots of noise, a smell in the lobby I cannot detect but not pleasant. The room looked ok until I put the (one light) that worked on. Now I know why they keep it dark. There was rips in the mattress box spring, the cable to the AC was draped on the floor (I have pictures) and the AC shut down after two hours of putting it on because it froze. As it defrosted we hear the ice falling off (while pretty much sweating). The bathroom tub had brown spots in the corners (I have pictures) and there was a glob of makeup on the floor (from the previous visitor) that I had to clean up with about ten tissues. Ugh, Im getting aggravated just writing this down. Needless to say, NOT HAPPY at ALL with my stay. Oh, the continental breakfast (that I am used to seeing at other HJ's we've stayed at) was the flip side of the coin here. Lets just say I wouldn't eat it.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very nice friendly staff. Inside was very clean hallways had some little pieces of paper looked like from vending machine. Outside could use some help. Overall we were very pleased. Thought the location was great.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Howard Johnson Atlantic City West? Share your experiences!