“Basicly in Piscataway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Piscataway
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Basicly in Piscataway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

It's been decades since I have stayed in a Motel 6. Years ago, they were cheap, but cheerful, basic accommodation. I found this location cheerful and basic, but not so cheap. I found myself in the area just South of Newark Airport, needing a place to stay for one night. Usually, I book in advance, to guarantee the best rate, but I found myself in the area a day earlier than planned. There are several independent motels along US Route 1. Many advertise "prices from..." a very low rate. I stopped at one, intending to stay, but when I went to the desk, they quoted me a rate double the starting price. I had remembered passing a sign for a Ramada, along I 287, in Piscataway, which advertised a lower starting price than the one this independent was actually quoting. I figured, if I am going to pay that much, I might as well stay at a chain property, which would meet higher standards. I left and drove back to Piscataway. When I got off I 287, I saw there were several hotels in the area and followed a sign for the Motel 6, hoping for a cheaper price than the Ramada. The sign in front of the Motel 6 advertised "Wi Fi." Internet access is a must for me, so I was pleased.

When I checked in, again, I was quoted a higher price than the starting price, but it was only a little higher. I was tired and decided it was acceptable. Unlike the independent I stopped at, where the lobby looked like the motel was used by hookers, the Motel 6 look to meet a higher standard and been suitable for famlies. After paying, I asked if a password was needed to access the WiFi. The desk clerk said yes and I needed to pay for it. Gotcha! I realzed that the sign advertising "WiFi" didn't say "Free WiFi." I hate these kind of games, especially in this day and age, where I think WiFi access is a basic necessity, the way a phone and a TV in the room is. The charge was only an additional $2.50, for 24 hours, so I paid it, but I would rather be quoted the full price, including taxes and WiFi, as many properties quote including free WiFi. With the add ons, this Motel 6 was ending up not so cheap. I started wishing I had gone to the Ramada. Another gripe I have is that, if I hadn't asked if a password was necessary, the clerk at check-in would have let me go to my room, without selling me the WiFi access. I would have discovered that I couldn't access the internet, then would have had to come back to the front desk to arrange it. Not only would this be inconvenient, and thus annoying, but she was missing an opportunity to upsell me, which is bad business.

The room was clean and had the basic ammenities, but no shampoo was provided, which usually is at other chains. I can appreciate skimping on ammenities, if the price is very low. Here, I felt I was paying as much as I would at another property, but getting less for it. Also, the phone nad a notice saying I couldn't charge long distance calls to my room. Given the high number of area codes in the New York area, this was very inconvenient. When trying to arrange to meet a freind for lunch, the next day, I had to use my UK mobile, incurring expensive roaming charges, then ask my friend to call me back.

If you don't want to use the internet, don't want to call anybody, and don't want to wash your hair, this Motel 6 will provide you a clean, safe place to spend the night. However, I wouldn't stay there again, as I expect to be able to do all those things, especially when paying the amount I was paying.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012 via mobile

I don't know if it's the excessive febreeze, the cheap carpet, or the diesel fumes from the nearby highway but the entire hotel smells unfortunately like a chinatown bus. I don't usually travel in style or complain much but at 8pm when I checked in the hallway was in desperate need of vacuuming and the whole hotel needed to be aired out. I opened my window to the freezing rain for about an hour just to dispel the odor. That said the room was neat and the front desk staff friendly and helpful. A cheap hotel, but even as such I would think they could do a little more to keep the public areas clean.

• Stayed January 2012
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

It's your typical motel...smoky hallways, funny smelling rooms, dirty carpets...not the cleanest of motels. My colleague kept getting shocked when she turned the lights on/off (she said that there were sparks flying). However, if you're looking for a relatively cheap room for a night or two, it's adequate. Close by to a number of restaurants and stores (although if you do not have a car, you'll be wandering through dark parking lots- there are no sidewalks in this area). If If I were on a longer vacation, I'd look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Luanda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I spent some time in this hotel and had a good rememberings about
Good located nearby shops like : Walmart etc.... and a bar & grill restaurant "Gabriel" who served good meals
i stayed in a room 177

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Pennsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I wasnt expecting the high standard i received from check-in till departure, especially for the price. VERY happy with the cleanliness of the room and bathroom, even the hallway. The staff was very friendly and efficient, which nowadays is almost non-existant. Also, graciously located directly next to a Dunkin Donuts for AM coffee & near a bunch of stores to waste time in between work things or to pick up any forgotten items. Cheap, fast internet access and surprisingly quiet for its busy location. Fantastic experience overall.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

I stayed there with my girlfriend for 8 nights. For that price it was the perfect choice! Great location, very quiet, shops and restaurants around. The building and the room was clean, the staff was helpful and friendly. I think it is the best choice if you need only a bed and during the day you are sightseeing...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Panamá
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

The best of this hotel is its location. There are several restaurants around and you if you want you can walk to a Walmart (not recomended in winter season).

We requested for a non smoking room, but our room had an ash try and sometimes we could feel smoke odor that came from the bathroom. In our first day I found hairs in the shower and toilet, so I can not say our room was clean at all.

If you are thinking in stay in this hotel, do not expect to find bathroom amenities, clock or even a good selection of TV channels.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Piscataway? Share your experiences!