“Great "not-so-authentic" Mexican food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Pennsauken, New Jersey
“Great "not-so-authentic" Mexican food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I travel a lot, and people all over the country tell me about great "authentic" Mexican restaurants. This was what I'd heard from a few people about the Tortilla Press before I ate there. As such, I was dubious since there ain't no such animal as an authentic Mexican restaurant anywhere -- not even in Mexico! Anyway, I went with guarded expectations and I'm happy to report that these were exceeded. This is a Mexican-inspired restaurant that serves great food that is reasonably priced. Their Margaritas were tasty. All among our party of six were happy with their meal choices. I was the odd man out since I ordered the coffee braised, baby back ribs (not exactly Mexican, but neither was the rest of their menu -- really!). The ribs were delicious, but I first had to scrape off the cloyingly sweet BBQ sauce that smothered them. Note to the chef: Put that junk on the side! If I'm dipping your ribs in sauce, that means they don't taste all that great to begin with! It's a shame because the ribs were perfect without the offending sauce. I tasted my wife's chicken enchiladas, and these were excellent. Two of our party ordered the fish tacos (this would have been my second choice) and they were extremely pleased. Although I'm not a dessert guy (I just had a cup of coffee), the others raved over their choices. All in all, a great meal and a great night out.

Visited July 2012

Burlington City
“Tortilla keeps getting better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Not sure the right people will see this, so I will probably put it on trip advisor because of the best yet dining experience in this gem of restaurant that we never knew about until a year ago here in Pennsauken/Cherry Hill. The location in Collingswood is good as well, but a different personality all its own. This review is about the Pennsauken location

Make sure you give some kudos to a waitress names Brooke. Probably doesn't need it as she seemed a real vet and knew her stuff. While I didn't catch the two young girls at the hostess spot, they seemed more friendly and conversational on the way out, so maybe they can be that great also on the way in and to your table.

Great new 3 pepper sauce with my wife's favorites empanada. I had a really stuffed chicken quesidllia with, despite a somewhat small portion, the best restaurant sweet potato fries since Yardville Inn.

Highlight and low-light, the beer choice. Again, great help from Brooke for the Oktoberfest beer. smooth, not sure of the brewer though. But you cant have a bar attached to the restaurant and have beer specials in one and not the other . Bar menu, yes, but a drink is a drink and I have moved on since this policy exists since we have be coming to both locations, and it just doesn't make any business or marketing sense
I think this is now our new favorite restaurant in Burlington County. Whether you like Mexican food or not, you have to try the menu at the Pennsauken location. It will turn you into a believer as well.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
“Wonderful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I have been to the Tortilla Press Cantina many times. I will continue to be a regular for a number of reasons. The food is excellent, the drink selection is excellent, and the prices can't be beat for the quality. The service is always great and Chef Mark has always gone out of his way to ensure great customer service. I only visit independent restaurants, and supporting a place like this which in turn supports local food and drink suppliers only makes it better. TPC is great for happy and drinks at the bar, a last-minute night out, or a special occasion.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Great food, nice value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Held a engagement party for my son and his fiancee. 28 entrees, eveyone raved about the food. Great Mexican beer selection and I heard the margaritas were excellent, as well.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Voorhees, New Jersey
“Good menu on New Year's Eve ruined by poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I have made a tradition of having an early dinner at the Tortilla Press in Collingswood every New Year's Eve with our children. The restaurant is always vibrant, the food good, and we always have a great time. This year, we waited too long to make our reservations, and had to opt for the Tortilla Press Cantina in Pennsauken instead; since we have eaten there twice before, we figured it would be fine. The food, as always, was very good, and reasonably priced. Although the atmosphere was not as fun or festive as it is in the Collingswood location, it was the service that ruined the experience. Our server was extremely rushed, never checked back at our table to see how we were enjoying our food, and made several mistakes in bringing out the wrong food. The experience was topped off by him charging our credit card with the wrong bill, which seems like an almost impossible mistake to make. Although he fixed the problem and was apologetic, the overall experience suffered as a result. Chef Mark needs to make sure that the restaurant is appropriately staffed, particularly on special occasion nights like New Year's Eve, so that the overall experience doesn't suffer.

• Visited December 2011