“Night at the museum?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast

You added Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   31 Hanover Street, Pemberton, NJ 08068-1128   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Pemberton B&B and Inns
“Night at the museum?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you like antique, potpourri, porcelain dolls and pink towels, you will adore this place.

If you prefer something contemporary, or your travel style is a busy downtown Marriott, I would still recommend you to stay here, and not only because this is the only decent place to stay in the area. You may find the change quite relaxing.

Actually, it won’t be quite fair to compare this house to the standard hotel room. It feels more like a visit to your aunt’s house. You do not want to misbehave, in return you will be treated with great care.

This house was built in mid-18th century, and still features it’s original thick wooden front door. If you relax for a moment, you may feel the spirit of an old era.

I would assume it’s not an easy task, but the owner manages to keep this little museum clean and well maintained; it’s smelled clean, too, without industrial cleaners odor, common present at the hotels . Despite the old age of the house, our bathroom was sparkling and everything was functioning perfectly.

We were not there for a romantic gateway, but I could feel our hostess’s caring hand, that made my trip more pleasant. I guess Phyl noticed that I was shivering, because I found an extra comforter gently placed on our bed in the evening. And again, the blanket was not hotel standard, rather more cozy looking, white, sparkly clean and without industrial chemical smell.

In the morning we were treated with freshly made, a Cooked-to-Order Breakfast; our table was served in old Victorian style. I don’t even like breakfast, and my thoughts were not set up on food, but dear Phyl just made choice for me, and cooked some delicious pancakes with fresh blueberries. Just like a caring aunty would do! Sneaking in her kitchen, I also noticed that little balls for our fruit salad were freshly cut-off from a new cantaloupe. Hotel fruit salad usually comes from the bags and /or sprayed with chemicals for freshness.

If you are looking for relaxing time off, or just need to spent a night at the safe place, this is a place for you.

People from the area are lucky to have this venue available for tea parties.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Caldwell, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My friend and I needed a place to stay for one night during a bike and kayak trip to the Pine Barrens area. Our time at Isaac Hilliard tuned out to be a delightful part of that week-end. When we first arrived, hungry after a day of kayaking, our hostess, Phyl, served us the best homemade scones that I've ever tasted. From that point on, we had several lovely conversations with Phyl and came to know her as a friend. Phyl has attentively decorated the house in keeping with its colonial origins. My friend's room was very spacious and attractively decorated; mine was one of the small ones but was very comfortable. All of the basic that you'd seek in a B & B were there: good breakfast, nice bathrooms, etc. My friend and I enjoyed our little interlude at Isaac Hilliard House with its Victorian charm and engaging conversation with its hostess.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My sister and I were in Pemberton to attend her daughter's wedding. We stayed in this wonderful Victorian B&B called the Isaac Hilliard House. From our first steps into the house it was a step back to a wonderful time of warmth, welcoming and style. Our room was comfortable, clean and also provided that Victorian charm. It was wonderful to stay where you were treated like a family member and not just a guest paying to spend the night as in a "normal" hotel/motel setting.

As we will be visiting NJ and the Pemberton area often to visit with my niece and her family, we would stay again and know we will be well taken care of by Phyllis, the very sweet caretaker of Isaac Hilliard House.
Anita and Terry - Providence RI and Plainville CT

Room Tip: We stayed in the Raspberry Room which is in the front of the house (facing street) and did not hear...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Highland Mills, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My son and myself needed a room for a local lacrosse tournament and this was right down the road. We had a great stay, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Phyllis was very nice and we had a great breakfast. If we are ever in the area again we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Piermont, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

It's easy to recommend this B&B. I was arriving fairly late so Phyl had some homemade soup ready for me and some great conversation. It's an old house, not a fancy hotel or motel, so the feeling is cozy and authentic and unique -- not a cookie-cutter experience.

The room I stayed in was the smallest and least expensive, but it was just room enough, clean and comfy -- great mattress, hot shower with plenty of water pressure, nice towels. It might be small maneuvering for two people; and since it's at the front of the house, I could hear the traffic in the morning. I'd upgrade next time to the back of the house if I'm planning to sleep in. This time, I had to get off to an early appointment so that wasn't an issue. Yummy pancakes for breakfast and a warm good-bye.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were lost in NJ during Hurricane Sandy trying to get to my grandmother in Galloway, NJ. All the roads were flooded and trees were down while conditions were worsening. I found the Isaac Hilliard House on my iPhone and called. Phyl answered the phone and from our first conversation was a comforting presence in our lives.
We arrived to soothing jazz music and a cozy, old but immaculately clean home full of lovely antiques and keepsakes gathered by the owners.
We stayed there for two nights-the first night was the intense night Hurricane Sandy hit. I honestly can't think of many other places that would have felt more safe and secure during those high winds and buckets of rain.
Our room was ample in size, clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The parlor room is lovely and Phyl welcomed us to spend time there and even opened her kitchen to us knowing all restaurants were closed.
We never met Phyl's partner Gene, but we truly enjoyed our conversations with Phyl. She has traveled the world and is a gifted poet. She is an interesting, dynamic lady - few people are as interesting as she is.
The Isaac Hilliard House was a gift, as if angels led us to it during a very difficult journey. I highly recommend it to anyone with an open mind ready for a lovely experience.

• Stayed October 2012
Clovis, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I want to thank Phyllis and Gene for the wonderful experience that I had at the Isaac Hilliard House. I was a long term guest and cannot begin to say enough great things about my stay. It was gracious, charming, and loving. I was welcomed into the home as if I were part of the family immediately and I could not wait to go home after work and spend time with Phyllis, Gene and of course Dash!
I was astonished to find out that the house was built in 1749....I am from the west and it blows my mind that there are houses that are still standing that were built BEFORE the revolutionary war, before America was America and in such great shape! I love the old original floor boards, the curving stair case and the lovely furnishings of the home! That is exactly what this house was to me a home! My room (Raspberry) was perfect, extremely clean, super comfortable bed, lovely decor and no cracks, dust or dirt in sight - with a fabulous writing desk that I am determined to secret out of there one of these days and Phyllis knows it.
I do understand that the bed and breakfast experience is not for everyone. It is personal, interactive, unique, and often times not shiny, new or perfect. That is the whole reason to stay at a B&B. I do have to say that if you expect modern, new, shiny and perfect that perhaps the bed and breakfast experience in general is not for you and would recommend a hotel in the city somewhere. However, if you love to experience adventure, interact with different people, enjoy old world charm and understand that a crack here and there tells a story and shows character then I highly recommend a stay at the Isaac Hilliard House!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! They all have private bathrooms which you can't always find in a B&...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Isaac Hilliard House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!