“Great Overall Stay!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Parsippany
Whippany, New Jersey
“Great Overall Stay!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My daughter works at a Marriott and she was able to get us a room at this wonderfull location. We own a buisness right down the road and anytime I need to stay overnight I will never go anywhere else!!!
Amanda and Marilyn were a delight to deal with. Always greated with a smile! Already made my reservation for next week!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I'm a Marriott Elite member and have been staying in Marriott properties since 1978, every brand from JW Marriott to Springhill Suites around the world and NEVER have I experienced a stay like this. To put it mildly this must be the worst maintained Marriott property I've ever stayed in, anywhere, and by my rough estimate, I've frequented over 1.200 of them in more than 2,100 stays over 35 years.

I found bugs in my bed and I even took pictures of them to the front desk and the response, other than an apology, to offer me Marriott Rewards Points. Wow, what an offer. Then the next statement he made was bizarre," Yes, I've seen bugs like that in my house too", really. What does that have to do with me, my room and the fact that this property, a Residence Inn was charging me $339.00 per night.

In New York, San Francisco or LA, I haven't even been charged anything near that for a limited service hotel (no room service or amenities) but of all places who would have thought you'd have to pay such an obnoxious rate for a Residence Inn?

If the room was perfect, the hotel conveniently located maybe it would be justified but that wasn't the case. The bathroom fixtures were rusted and stained, and I don't mean slightly. The tub fills with water when you run the showers. There only lukewarm water available. The bed linens were clean but apparently occupied by bugs so maybe not as clean as they seemed.

The walls are paper thin and while some people might not object to listening to my neighboring guest have a 2 hour phone discussion I did. The occupant of the room above me apparently was pacing his room for hours. It sounded like elephants were in his room.

Well at any rate, after expressing my strong displeasure with the inflated price, the substandard room and the bugs crawling in my bed, whomever the man at the desk was, reduced my bill by 20%. I was underwhelmed. This must be a franchise location because there is no way any Marriott property, run by Marriott employees, would have responded in this fashion. A Marriott employee would have struck all charges AND offered Marriott Reward Points.

I stayed in room 112 on 7/15 and my advice to anyone reading this post is to avoid this hotel if you have the ability to do so. It's not maintained, run or managed in the fashion that other Marriott properties are. By way of full disclosure I have never stayed in any Marriott property (any brand, any price) and seen a bug, not a fly, an ant, a bedbug and for certain nothing that slithered.

Management's response warranted this post and while I'm 100 percent certain an apology will be printed I am very unhappy with my experience with this hotel.

Room Tip: If you must stay here (and you might want to read my post again before you do) stay on the top floor...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at the Residence Inn. Your feedback is very valuable to our success. We utilize both the positive and negative comments to assist with continued training.
After reading your comments, I can certainly understand how disappointed you were. I would like to offer my sincere apology for the inconveniences you experienced. I can assure you that our hotel is not filled with bugs. We proactively have procedures in place to prevent insects in the building. Although this is done regularly, there is always the possibility of an insect getting in the room. So I truly apologize that this happened to you. The bathroom issues were addressed and taken care of. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Our rates are very comparable to other suite properties in the Parsippany area. At the time of your booking, the two bedroom suite was priced accordingly. We are conveniently located near several major highways. I am sorry to hear that our location was not convenient for you.
As a loyal Marriott guest, we hope we can gain your trust back in the facilities that we offer and services we provide. Thank you again for your candid feedback.
Newark, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for more than 6 months. The service , cleanliness, staff is all good. Especially Margie and Sejong had been great and always there to help the customers. All I found was that the place is little out of any happening place but most of the residence inn are located like wise.
Me and family enjoyed our stay.Thanks

• Stayed October 2013
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your most recent experience about our hotel on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the positive feedback. I am happy to read that your 6 months stay with us met your needs and that our staff was great. We hope if you are ever in the area again, we can be your host hotel for your accommodations. All the best to you and your family!

Rachael
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Our family stayed here for 3 months so we are extremely familiar with this hotel. All of the staff I met were friendly and accommodating. We really did feel at home there and I would come back to stay in a heartbeat.

Our two bedroom suite was well cleaned and maintained. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were a good size. The pool area was usually very clean. Sometimes during the busier times it did get need to be cleaned a little more often though. One of our favorite features of this hotel is the free breakfast buffet. The buffet has a wide variety of items to choose from and is stocked by pleasant and efficient staff. Monday through Thursday dinner is also served. It is usually something basic like pasta or hamburgers but we appreciated not having to make or buy our dinner every night. My children had a a wide variety of on-site activities to choose from. They have a play structure, pool, pool table, air hockey table, tennis/basketball courts and a gym for teens and adults.

The only problem I had during the whole stay was that many people with pets chose not to trek out to the designated pet area in bad weather. Unfortunately they also chose not to pick up after their pets leaving dog poop right near the entrances. We did stay with our pets and we, even when it was cold and snowy, went out to the appropriate area and also picked up after our pets. Much of the time we stayed there it was very snowy and icy. Many times the sidewalk that led to the closest pet area was full of ice and that may have deterred people from using the right area. Once the weather got better this was not a problem anymore.

Taking everything into consideration, this was a great place to stay and we would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at the Residence Inn Parsippany! I am glad to hear that you and your family were very comfortable during your stay. I am pleased to read that your room accommodations met your needs; the breakfast and evening social was filling; and the children were able to relax and enjoy the play areas. I would like to apologize for the inconsistency when it came to the guests cleaning up behind their dogs. Thank you for using the pet walk areas. We hope if you are in the Parsippany area again, you will choose us for your hotel accommodations.
Best Regards,
Rachael
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The best part of my stay at this dirty, understaffed, tired old property was that it was only for 1 night. On check in I was "upgraded" to a 1 bedroom suite. The kitchen floor of the suite was full of crumbs and main cabinet door hinges were broken and the doors were hanging. I opened one of the cabinet doors to find even more dirt and crumbs inside. Who cleans this place? Who checks their work? Apparently no one. The bathroom floor wasn't clean either - I was actually afraid to climb into bed but it was late so I did. I called the front deck at 10:30p to get a wake up call. First time no answer. 2nd time no answer. 3rd time no answer. 4th time no answer. Just for fun I let the phone ring 100...yes ONE HUNDRED TIMES and still no answer. At 3am someone dared to run their water upstairs and the sound I heard through my ceiling made me think the bathtub upstairs was about to crash through the ceiling on top of me. So now Im wide awake at 3AM in the dumpiest most disghusting hotel Ive ever stayed in. If this hotel stay was free it would have been a poor value. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regards to your recent stay. After reading your review, I can understand your disappointment based on the issues you shared. The picture painted in this review certainly make our hotel seem as if we are not up to the Marriott standards. I can assure you that your stay was not the norm. Our hotel was renovated less than two years ago. It's concerning to hear that you felt the hotel was tired and old. We are staffed according to a Select Service hotel model. We have 24 hour front desk coverage, as well as other departments available. I would like to apologize for your phone calls going unanswered. I understand there was a problem with the telephone system, which have been addressed. In addition, I have spoken to the Housekeeping Manager to inquire about the condition of your room. Although he did not find the many issues that were mentioned in your review, we are utilizing the feedback as an ongoing training for our staff.
We hope you will stay with us again, so that you can have a memorable experience during your next visit. Please accept my sincere apology for your experience.

Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I chose the MRI for my home away from home. I live in Canada and come down to NJ every other week to visit my two oldest kids.

The staff is absolutely delightful. The rooms perfect for what I need. I really have nothing but positive things to say. My kids enjoy the spacious rooms and the swimming pool. The breakfast buffet is great (I just wish they had more bacon on the week-ends, I rarely ever see it except sometimes on Friday and Monday mornings).

The only thing I would change is the breakfast times. On week-ends it would be nice to have the breakfast open until 1030 instead of 10. I have teenage kids and they sleep late of course.

Margie, Francis, Rochelle, Sejong...they are all great people. I am so glad I chose this as my NJ residence. I have come here every other week since May 2013 and I have nothing but praise for this establishment top to bottom.

Scott

Room Tip: obviously building A by the pool/main building is the most convenient.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Scott,
Thank you for the wonderful comments you have shared! We appreciate hearing the positive feedback. We are here to be your "home away from home" as long as you are in need of hotel accommodations in the area. Our breakfast ends at 10am on the weekends. However, we will keep the buffet open an additional 20-30 minutes based on our guests in the dining area. I hope this helps. Again, thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback!

Devon, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

While the staff was friendly during the week I was there (although when I checked out the lady never thanked me for staying or asked how my stay was), I moved down the road to the Hyatt House. I'm in the process of relocating and will be in a hotel for at least another 4 - 5 weeks. Why did I move?

All the other RIs I've stayed in (having been with RI for over 15 years) had a stove. I was very disappointed to find only a cook top. Add to that their TV channel selection was poor. For an extended stay hotel there was no AMC or an On-Demand channel to order movies but hey, they offered 6 different ESPN channels?? As a dog owner, what really threw me over the top was the fact there were piles AND piles of dog pooh, pizza boxes, and garbage outside of almost every entry (with the exception of the main door). YUCK!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Rachael H, General Manager at Residence Inn Parsippany, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Residence Inn Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. I am disappointed to hear you have decided to check out. We certainly appreciate your loyalty to Residence Inn over the past 15 years. There are many generations of Residence Inn hotels, many with ovens in all rooms, some with stovetops, and others with a combination of both. Our hotel offer ovens in our two bedroom suites and stovetop in the smaller room types. I do apologize if this information was not communicated prior to your booking. The TV channels offered are our standard Marriott lineup. The channels were chosen based on customer feedback. Although we may not have the AMC channel, we offer other movie channels for your viewing such as TNT, USA, and HBO. Residence Inn is a pet friendly hotel. We provide pet walk areas and clean up supplies. It sounds as if there may have been some guests that were not courteous to others by cleaning up after their pet. I apologize for the area not being maintained as it should have been.
Once again, I appreciate your feedback. It gives us the opportunity to make corrections where needed. I would like to wish you all the best with your relocation. I hope you will continue to stay at Marriott hotels. We appreciate your business.

Been to Residence Inn Parsippany? Share your experiences!