“Filthy, terrible service, awful experience” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Refresh & Refuel
Ranked #9 of 17 hotels in Parsippany
NYC
“Filthy, terrible service, awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

This past weekend, I was staying at this hotel to visit my husband who there on business. I was not expecting much, as I knew it was a business hotel. However, I was not expecting the complete lack of service, professionalism and courtesy that I had experienced.

a.) Upon arrival at 4 p.m., I waited in line for about 20 minutes to pick up my room key. Not because there was a long line... but there was 1 customer service rep helping a couple in front of me with what seemed to be a time-consuming problem. And thats ok! What was NOT okay was that in this time span there were a few people walking back and forth behind the counter who clearly noticed I was waiting and did nothing but chat with the CSR who was working and then leave. What is worse, is that there were also 2 individuals walking around the floor directly behind, talking to the concierge and bellhop desk who also noticed me waiting and did nothing even after eye contact. A little strange! As it was finally my turn, I accidentely dropped my wallet and coins spilled out as I was fumbling for my ID. The bellhop, and the manager did nothing but look at me as I scrambled -- another customer walked over to help me. The bellhop and manager looked on.

b.) The weather outside was on the humid side -- I understand that hotels cannot control everything. But inside the room - the carpet was damp. Not just to the touch, but I had put socks on and they eventually soaked through. It was the most revolting, disgusting, non-hygenic experience ever. Walking on mossy wet dirty carpet. They were unable to change rooms b/c they were booked to capacity and frankly, they seemed unapologetic about it.

c.) We walked out a side entrance (the hotel and lot are huge and there are various exits) and noticed that there was a shattered glass littering the entrance way. This was a Thursday afternoon. We made a call to the front desk noting it as there were children around the hotel. They assured us that it would be taken care of. When we checked out on Sunday night, the glass was still there, shattered to smaller pieces, littering not only the vestibule, but the entire front walkway. Absolutely no one had seen to this.

d.) The one thing that I can say positively about this hotel is that there room service was shockingly on time (within 45 minutes). The staff (non management) seem to have good intentions although they appear not to have grasped the importance of carrying them out.

Management is completely unaware -- we had a problem about a package being delivered and we were met with an apathetic and impatient tone by the 2 managers on hand "I'm new. I don't know." After waiting patiently downstairs for nearly an hour, my poor husband asked if they could please send the package up to the room once they located it (they accused me of not sending it to the correct address although the tracking information confirmed otherwise and one of their own staff signed for it.) They actually told him "Can't you just wait another 15 minutes?"

This is a hilton? This is a hotel!? They appear to be confused about their role and job functions here - I would recommend staying at the Marriot down the street. Anywhere is better than this!!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

My daughter is involed in the American Coed Pageant which uses this hotel as the host hotel for the New York and New Jersey Pageant. We've been there twice in the past and will be there again at the end of June for the 2005 pageant. I was not disappointed, the experience was wonderful. The rooms were very nice and just the location was relaxing. I did not find any fault and for the price we paid (pageant rate of $89.00 per night) it was a steal!

• Stayed July 2003, traveled on business
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

This is the closest business hotel for many surrounding corporate clients. I would rate this hotel as 2.0 stars as it is not even close to 3.5-4.0. The business rates charged are in the $150-200 range which is the usual going rate for other hotels of much higher quality. The specifics: worn, outdated rooms with tired furnishings; bathrooms with chipped tubs, toliets that run incessantly (both rooms I've stayed in had this problem; one had a toilet that leaked on the floor); extra charge for Internet service ($9.95 a day) when other hotels at half that rate provide it for free; standard bed linens without any of the new, comfort-driven "signature" beds that other chains advertise. The meal service at the breakfast restaurant was apathetic and the food was mediocre. In fact, another guest who was also waiting to be seated in the restaurant told me that a staff member informed him that the hotel had laid off half of the employees. The one saving grace is the Ruths Chris Steak House located in the hotel which was very good with professional waitstaff and cordial hosts.

This hotel has seen "better days" as reflected by the progressive decline in hotel service and accomodations. Perhaps pressure from the surrounding corporate clients will be sufficient for this hotel to "clean up its act", but I'm convinced that the hotel is "resting on its laurels" while awaiting another chain to buy them out.

I'd avoid this hotel for business purposes and seek out other establishments which value your patronage.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Calais
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

We recently stayed for three night over a weekend that they were hosting a few school groups of teenagers. We were at the opposite end of the hotel so it was really quiet much to our surprise, especially after all the noisy lobby experience. Good kids, just a little boisterous, but that was cool.

My spouse had one meal at the restaurant and it was overpriced, small portioned, and inferior quality. Avoid it at all costs. There are several places to eat within a couple of miles.

A hotwire deal for $65 per night left us very pleased with the hotel. Rooms were larger than average and the maid service apt. This section of the hotel was very quiet, no complaints.

Front desk was very nice and accomodating. One front desk manager went out of his way to pront me directions to Shea Stadium.

The only real pro

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Randolph, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2005

We stayed at the Hilton over the past 2 nights. First, they have some nerve calling this a 4 star hotel. The rooms are grungy and there are absolutely no extra ammenities you would expect to find in a nicer hotel. In fact we have stayed at the nearby Courtyard a few times and it is much nicer.

Second, this hotel has just about the worst staff. The front desk guy basically looked scornfully at me when I wanted to give him my Hilton Honors number - "we don't give credit for Hotwire stays..." Okay, I understand that, but you should still treat all of your customers with some respect, especially since you know I am a HH member. My wife was standing in the lobby with alot of bags (I went to park the car) and nobody offered to help - in fact the front desk staff tried to avoid all eye contact.

Third, we get into the room and only about half a roll of TP. We figured we would get a full roll the next day when the made up the room, but no luck. We had to call down for more and it took them about 3 hours to get it to us.

Fourth, it's a good thing that it was relatively cool during our stay, because the AC in the room barely worked.

Yes, we got a deal on this hotel through Hotwire. But even at the reduced price, I would not stay there again. Back to the Courtyard for me (clean, nice rooms, friendly staff).

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2005

We stayed last weekend and got a good price from Hotwire. At full price, I don't know if I'd spring for this hotel. It looks a little "Tired". I know there are a lot of functions there, particularily, school-aged kid functions and I think it shows a little. Dirty carpets, bedspreads, drapes etc.

The room itself was large and the bed was very comfy.

We were surprised that the main lobby bar was as small as it is.

On a positive note, our initial room must have been in the "Hotwire Cheapskate" hallway. We went to it and there were teenagers everywhere. Lying in the hallway, doors open, running around, jumping on beds (doing things that teenagers do while in a Hilton for a weekend). We went right back to the desk and got a new room with no questions asked. The new room had a stunnig view...of a hallway. It was one of those odd rooms whose windows overlook the inside of the hotel.

For the most part, the hotel served its purposes for us. It's in a good location and seems to offer a lot of business-related services. It looks like it could use a remodel though.

• Stayed March 2005
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

For the $79 rate I got, this Hilton was OK. It's convenient if you're doing business in the area and are on a tight company travel budget. The regular Web rate was $230, which would be outrageous for what is essentially a highway motel.

This place might have been upscale 20 years ago, but it's way past its prime. The room was very tired. Mattresses with no spring, worn carpets, drapes and bedspreads. The bathroom was right out of the 1970s: plain white tile, chipped tub, non-working tub drain, and formica vanity with cigarette burns.

Still, it's a very expensive area, and if you can get a deep discount, it's OK for a night or 2.

Been to Hilton Parsippany? Share your experiences!