“Disappointing and tired” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Parsippany
Geneva, Switzerland
“Disappointing and tired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I last stayed here about 5 years ago and because it was so bad started staying at the Hilton Parsippany since this is so much better. I have recently changed jobs and my current company made me stay here.

Sadly it has not changed and it is still got a tired and shabby decor and staff that could not care less.

When I checked in the receptionist had a could not care less attitude and seemed totally disinterested. The room was good and the bed was excellent but the shower was faulty and the handle fell off when switching it on. This should have been noticed by the cleaning staff.

My biggest concern was with the breakfast buffet that was uninspiring but my major issue is again with the staff who could not care less and the toaster was broken on both mornings, is it too much for them to notice this?

The evening dinner service in the bar was not much better and I was with a colleague who ordered soup and a main course. My soup arrived and I ate it then my main arrived along with his main. When he pointed out that no starter had arrived it then arrived and he was left with a main and starter. Surely etiquette is to take the main away and keep it warm. Clearly not a priority here.

When I checked out and was asked had I enjoyed my stay I said no and was asked did I complain. I should not have to complain since good service should notice these deficiencies instantly. I was awarded 2500 Sheraton points although quite why beats me since from this experience I never want to stay here again.

Hilton here I come again........

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Scott B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear HullPhil –
First, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your comments as we try to learn from them to improve along the way and continually enhance our guests' experience. While we are very proud of our renovated facility and service that our team typically provides, we were surprised by your comments about our décor and were not pleased to learn of your dissatisfaction with other aspects of your stay.

However, our goal is to have every guest leave satisfied and want to return in the future. Therefore, we would like to try and rectify your dissatisfaction. To discuss things in further detail, please contact our hotel’s Executive Office at 973-560-5162, and ask to speak with Scott or Vera. Thank you again, we appreciate your staying with us, and are eager to earn your business again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

On a trip to New York, we had the pleasure of staying here, and would stay again! Such a pleasant welcome from staff, lots of free parking, nice, updated and clean rooms. We traveled with our 2 kids and wwere provided a comfy rollaway, which fit nicely in our spacious room. And as is the case at most Starwood properties, great beds and bedding. The only negative was the small, basic bathroom, but otherwise a great guest experience!

• Stayed August 2013
Scott B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear HowieJ -
Thank you so much for your 5-Star rating! Positive feedback like yours is what we hope to get from every guest! We are very proud of our facilities and the service that our team delivers, and are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed a pleasant and relaxing visit. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay when your travel plans bring you to the area!
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We just attended the Ideal-Living Retirement Expo at the Sheraton Parsippany Hotel at 199 Smith Road, Parsippany, NJ. For lunch, we decided to try the Tipperary Pub restaurant on-site in hotel to save some time to get back to other events of this Expo. At 12:45pm, I was surprised the restaurant's staff was overwhelmed by the small number of attendees of this Expo event, it clearly was only 2/3's full. The service of Tipperary Pub's wait staff was very bad. It took 10 minutes to get a menu and another 5 to get 2 glasses of water. That is a full 15 minutes of sitting and waiting. Needless to say the service was slow and that affected the quality of the food. Several waiters did come by but tells us that they will inform our waiter that we are ready to order. Another 5 minutes go by till our waiter returned to take our order. For our first course, the heirloom tomatoes salad was over-ripe (nice way of saying it is rotten) and not eatable. When I finally was able to flagged down our waiter to let him know, he just said "I am so sorry" and removed the rotten tomatoes I set aside on a plate.
Needless to say it was downhill from here on out.

The chicken was overcooked and the French cut string beans was practically raw. I am embarrassed I have to take the knife to "saw"
through the crunchy green beans. Water glasses was never refilled. And for this horrible service and poor quality, they had the nerve to put a mandatory 18% tip on my bill. Is this the Peter Lugar steak house in Williamsburg or Gramercy Tavern in Flatiron? Please...

I am sure the Sheraton Hotels pride themselves in providing great quality service and this hotel's restaurant and bar manager should be made aware of the Tipperary Pub restaurant's shortcomings.
Fix it or keep on losing customers!!!

I will not come back to the Sheraton Parsippany and I will never take a meal at the Tipperary Pub restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear djwong –
First, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your comments as we try to learn from them to improve along the way and continually enhance our guests' experience. While we are very proud of our renovated facility and service that our team typically provides, we were not pleased to learn of your disappointment with your restaurant experience.

However, our goal is to have every guest leave satisfied and want to return in the future. Therefore, we would like to try and rectify your dissatisfaction. To discuss things in further detail, please contact Kristen Potanka, a member of our Food and Beverage leadership team, at 973-560-5107. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton.
Northwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel is approximately 45 minutes transfer from Newark airport, depending on traffic. It is not located near any shops or restaurants so a car is needed to get to other places. It's structure resembles an English Medieval castle but the internal décor is a more modern theme.
A large, free car park is available with disabled spaces close to the hotel entrance. The main entry is covered and is a transit area only.

Check in is after 3pm at a small reception desk, the staff were not the quickest and did not react appropriately to a small queue. The process took 40 minutes! From the main lobby there is access to the café, bar / restaurant, fitness suite, gift shop, indoor & outdoor pools. Both pools are small and get very congested during busy periods. A pool side bar service is provided from a mobile trolley.

Four lifts transfer guests to all floors and were generally quick to arrive. Each floor has a vending machine and ice maker available for guest use. Room 269 was spacious and contained 2 queen beds with other equipment such as: iron & board, tea / coffee tray, hairdryer & free mineral water. Wifi in the room is charged at $10 per day (24 hours). The bathroom was a good size but the shower was a bit temperamental. There was plenty of storage but only a few coat hangers.

The bar / restaurant offered a good choice of hot / cold foods & drinks at reasonable prices. Staff were friendly & efficient. Breakfast is served from 6.30am in the café adjacent to the lobby. A small hot & cold buffet was provided but the hot food was not always hot even at 6.30am!

Overall I was a little disappointed with this hotel, I expected more from Sheraton. However, it did seem to be very popular with American families & all their children!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Scott B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Purrdee –
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your comments, both positive and constructive. This helps us affirm what is good as well as on what we need to focus to improve along the way and continually enhance our guests' experience. We are very proud of our renovated facilities and the service our staff provides, and were pleased to hear you generally enjoyed them as well.

At the same time we were not please to learn of your dissatisfaction with some aspects of your visit. We have shared your comments and concerns with the senior leadership team to ensure future guests have a better experience. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Parsippany again for your next visit to our area.
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The ameneties where lovely. The staff friendly and professional. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable with goosedown comforters on the beds and plenty of pillows. We actually had trouble getting into our room because the battery on the automated door had gone bad. The staff were falling over themselves to help us until it was resolved, which took about ten minutes. The only part of my stay that I wasn't thrilled with was the free food. On the 6th floor, snacks and breakfast are included. Appetizers range from gourmet to plain. During our stay, the chef was either lazy or uninspired. the food was very plain, simple, and boring. The restaurants in the hotel are expensive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Deborah S –
Thank you so much for your 4-Star rating, as well as your other comments. We truly value your feedback, both positive and constructive. This helps us affirm what is good as well as on what we need to focus to improve along the way and continually enhance our guests' experience. We are very proud of our renovated facilities and the service our staff provides, and were pleased to hear you enjoyed them as well.

At the same time we were not please to learn of your dissatisfaction with the Club Lounge and food service. We have shared your comments and concerns with the senior leadership team to ensure future guests have a better experience. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Parsippany again for your next visit to our area.
Irvington, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

First and foremost, I am very disappointed with my stay. Once or twice a year for the past 4 years I have taken my son to a nice hotel for either his birthday or a just-because stay.

I will list what was good about my stay at the Sheraton: the pool and the hotel itself and the very nice waitress that brought my son ice-cream with oreos and a candle for us to celebrate his birthday. The ambiance was very pleasant.

I will touch on the important issue first. My dinner the first night was awful. It tasted like fish, oil, spinach, and mushrooms. No flavor; not even salt and pepper and this was just my food. My 8 year old son, who is not very discriminating when it comes to food, said that his dinner smelled like poop, tasted a little better, but not as good as he hoped. Also, why was $9 on my bill for my son's breakfast yesterday and $20 today? Really? an 8 year old? Why did the waiter go back and change it after I complained? Last night we went all the way to Olive Garden for dinner. Perhaps the Sheraton should partner with the Oliver Garden. Now there is some great food without a hefty bill.

Back to my food. Maybe this is a first on your record but a foreign object in my food that fractures my tooth taking off a nice chunk in not my definition of a good time. The female waitress was nice enough to get me a toot pick to attempt to dislodge the tooth splint. I was annoyed because I had to get up from dinner to go to the lady's room while she watched my son. I spent almost a day in pain. Granted I was offered the opportunity to be sent to the hospital but refused. My dinner which I did not eat (I would not have eaten it even if I did not have a broken tooth) I did not have to pay for. I was given a refund for that. I saw my doctor this morning at 7:30. My tooth required a temporary filling but need a root canal. Sheraton here comes that bill!

The other crazy issue was I attempted to check out this morning and was told that I was charged for one day and "did I extend my stay?. For a second I was very confused. I made reservations for two days and even if that was unclear, I specifically stated that I will check out early on the 3rd because I will go directly to work.

Perhaps many have stayed and continue to stay and it was very pleasant and complaint free; my status: I will NEVER STAY AT THE SHERATON AGAIN I was better off a Holiday Inn or a Best Western. I would even go as far to throw a LaQuinta in there some there.

Room Tip: Bring your Mrs Dash in your pocket to flavor the food:(
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dedovampire –
Thank you for sharing your feedback. In the meantime I understand that one of our Food and Beverage Managers has been reached out to you directly to discuss your stay in further detail. Thank you again, and we appreciate your staying with us.
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

This hotel is exactly what it seems on pictures, you enter this hotel feeling like your entering a castle. I am very happy with this hotel. I had one small problem, when I booked 2 rooms online it clearly said I will be receiving breakfast buffet vouchers for my guests when I checked in they did not accommodate us with the vouchers, which I think was not right. We were tired and did not want to complain. Over-all we enjoyed out stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Scott B, Director of Sales at Sheraton Parsippany Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Amar A –
Thank you so much for your 4-Star rating! We are very proud of our facilities and the service that our team delivers, and are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

At the same time we were not pleased to learn of your challenge with breakfast vouchers. We take your comments seriously, and have shared them with the senior leadership to address this with our Front Desk team. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our Director of Rooms, Sean, at 973-560-5405. Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Parsippany again for your next visit to our area!

Been to Sheraton Parsippany Hotel? Share your experiences!